mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Cut it out guys. Macrolineguy is a stand-up guy as far as business practices, as far as I have seen. Macro is macro. You aren't going to get people to stop using it, and I would appreciate if you didn't try to torpedo the guy selling the best quality type at the best prices.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
You aren't going to get people to stop using it, and I would appreciate if you didn't try to torpedo the guy selling the best quality type at the best prices.
drg, you really disappoint me.

You seem to admit that he is selling an unsafe product, and your response to that is "You aren't going to get people to stop using it".

Why not advocate putting 5000psi into 3000psi HPA tanks? I've seen people do it all the time, and I refuse to play at any field that allows that practice.
Just because it doesnt blow up right away does NOT mean that it is safe.

Macro is not macro. It first came out for the LP Shocker. An application it was well suited for. Most macroline is rated around 500psi. They make stuff rated all the way up to 2000psi, but most people sell the 500psi stuff. Plus, I've never even seen macroline fittings rated above 500psi. The 2000psi line is supposed to be used with CP fitting, not push/pull.

He made sell what he advertises, and may ship very fast. Those are good attributes, but also important is that he sells a safe product.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
drg, you really disappoint me.

You seem to admit that he is selling an unsafe product, and your response to that is "You aren't going to get people to stop using it".

Why not advocate putting 5000psi into 3000psi HPA tanks? I've seen people do it all the time, and I refuse to play at any field that allows that practice.
Just because it doesnt blow up right away does NOT mean that it is safe.

Macro is not macro. It first came out for the LP Shocker. An application it was well suited for. Most macroline is rated around 500psi. They make stuff rated all the way up to 2000psi, but most people sell the 500psi stuff. Plus, I've never even seen macroline fittings rated above 500psi. The 2000psi line is supposed to be used with CP fitting, not push/pull.

He made sell what he advertises, and may ship very fast. Those are good attributes, but also important is that he sells a safe product.

nick
It's not unsafe itself. Some end users use it somewhat unsafely, true, but that's not his fault. When I say macro is macro, I don't mean it is all the same, I mean it is used for what it is used for and until something replaces it, it will continue to be used.

The consequences for macro failure are far, far less than tank failure, so that comparison is alarmist at best. And with the amount that is in service worldwide, statistically, it's not really a huge concern IMO. The PTC fittings are usually the fail points, and these usually don't fail cataclysmically.

Yes, he sells about the "best" stuff you would use for paintball applications with PTC fittings. It's 500 psi working, 2000 psi burst line ... well within the range for LP HPA tanks, and a bit under for HP HPA tanks, but the generous safety margin built into ratings ensures that problems with this line bursting are basically unheard of. Still, it is safest used with LP tanks. That is an end-user issue.

A lot of people sell macroline and fittings. If you are singling Macrolineguy out, is it just because he actually took the time to respond to you?

In summary, it's admirable to be a stickler for safety when it comes to these things, but you might as well save your breath. We are pushing the limits of what they are supposed to do and for the most part are getting away with it. Sometimes, we don't. But that's life on the edge. Sure it is potentially dangerous to run macro above working, but it's also dangerous to dive headfirst toward the ground.

Last edited by drg; 08-17-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Kicking Cancer's ***

Send a message via AIM to Moose

CCM Fan
If you are looking for macro and microline that is rated to handle the working pressure for paintball, visit airsoldier.com.

ASP Online Store: Fittings and hose

Proud Recipient of Project M - Thanks MCB!!!

MCB Feedback
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
If you are looking for macro and microline that is rated to handle the working pressure for paintball, visit airsoldier.com.

ASP Online Store: Fittings and hose
A bit of a misleading statement ... for a number of reasons.

First of all, there is no one "working pressure for paintball". Second, he sells two lines, one rated above and one below the 500/2000psi nylon-11 macro in question. Third, he's selling 1/4" line. Typical macro is 3/8" so it won't fit in most peoples' fittings.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Straight from Procaps Direct

MACROLINE HOSE HIGH PRESSURE

Features:
Nickel plated brass fitting

High performance plastic for extra durability

Nylon 12 flexible grade

Rated for 800 psi working pressure at 70 degrees F with a 3200 psi burst pressure at 70 degrees F.

Suited for High Pressure markers

Available in black only

MACROLINE HOSE LOW PRESSURE

Features:

Nickel plated brass fitting

Strong plastic for extra strength

High performance plastic for extra durability

Nylon 12 flexible grade

Macroline low pressure tube is rated to 450 psi.

Rated for 450 psi working pressure at 70 degrees F with a 1800 psi burst pressure at 70 degrees F

Suited for Low Pressure markers

Available in black, yellow, blue, red
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kicking Cancer's ***

Send a message via AIM to Moose

CCM Fan
Nope, not misleading.

By stating working pressure, I am going with the highest working pressure, which is generally 700-900psi. As an engineer, I tend to be conseritive in my estimates, so I do not use the lower working pressure put out by LP tanks.

Also, typical macro is 1/4" OD, not 3/8". 3/8" line is typical for high flow vacuum/air lines, not paintball. Please find for me where anyone is selling 3/8" tubing and/or 3/8" fittings for paintball use.

Nylon-12 is the macroline that is rated for the working pressure seen in all paintball equipment (1000psi working, 3000psi burst). The only macro he (airsoldier) sells that is below this rating is the color macro. which he states should only be used for LP systems. Nylon-11 has a thinner wall and lower working pressure.

drg, step off the bandwagon, I was not bashing macroline guy, I was pointing out where one could go to get line rated for paintball.

Proud Recipient of Project M - Thanks MCB!!!

MCB Feedback
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
A lot of people sell macroline and fittings. If you are singling Macrolineguy out, is it just because he actually took the time to respond to you?
I do not single out Macroline guy.

I've been a ref for a very long time, and have a natural dislike for anything KNOWN to be unsafe. I've probobly seen hundreds of macrolines blow on game days.

On PBN, I'm well known for my anti-macroline viewpoint, especially on the newbie forum. I do not recommend it under any circumstances. Not only is it far weaker then braided-lines, most is rated LESS then the tanks we use.

Macrolineguy, however, goes a step further and actually promotes something unsafe by purposely misleading.
For example, go to the newbie forum on PBN. You will find common threads like "help, my macroline blew up". You will ALWAYS see a response like "Dewd, go to macroline guy, he sells the strong stuff rated for 9000psi", when in fact his stuff is rated around 700psi.

Quote:
First of all, there is no one "working pressure for paintball".
No, but there is a working pressure for CO2: 1800psi. Macroline should be rated specifically for 1800psi WORKING PRESSURE, unless otherwise marked HPA only

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
I've been a ref for a very long time, and have a natural dislike for anything KNOWN to be unsafe. I've probobly seen hundreds of macrolines blow on game days.
What type of macroline is this? Does it blow or pull out? Is it being improperly used (e.g. on CO2)? Education is the key. The convenience benefits of macroline are too big to remove it from usage. You are not going to get people to convert to braid or hard lines no matter how hard you try.

Quote:
Macrolineguy, however, goes a step further and actually promotes something unsafe by purposely misleading.
For example, go to the newbie forum on PBN. You will find common threads like "help, my macroline blew up". You will ALWAYS see a response like "Dewd, go to macroline guy, he sells the strong stuff rated for 9000psi", when in fact his stuff is rated around 700psi.
That language seems gone.

Quote:
No, but there is a working pressure for CO2: 1800psi. Macroline should be rated specifically for 1800psi WORKING PRESSURE, unless otherwise marked HPA only
I don't know of anyone who recommends macroline for unregulated CO2.

Last edited by drg; 08-17-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

Palmers Fan
screw it, I found the right length of steel braided hose sitting under a VM in a box. I'll use that.

Anyway, no response from macro line guy when I emailed him last Friday, so probably won't buy from him when/if i do ever need it since I can't even get an answer to a question as a perspective customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts