mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I'm sure most fields won't let you use it either. However they are metal which is definately stronger then plastic. I'm sure the issue lies with the lenses and how they attatch. With new goggles I would use this mask around my place during pick up games but I prefer my invisions, they're much lighter. any references to construcion are only based on what I saw on mine. I this case the goggles are held in with zip ties. Thanks for the info though.

Tug

edit- I'm unsure of how much they would prevent fogging. They still seal around the eyes like all other goggles. Another issue would be the slap you'd get from a side shot. The mask sit farther off your face the more flexible/molded plastic masks. There is more air flow around you head though so it would help you stay cooler that way.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.

Last edited by Tugboater203; 10-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Here's the magazine wirte-up I was thinking of:

click to enlarge

Mar. 1991 APG
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
When Glenn Palmer came out to EMR for Shatnerball a few years back, he brought along one of these masks with a open mouth and panting tongue painted on the lower part. He told the story about some artist in Cali recreating the panting expression that he saw on Glenn's face right on his mask.

He fully intended to wear it for the game and then donate it to the museum, but EMR's staff rejected it. Glenn was pissed and said "%$(# 'em, I'll take it back home with me."

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
I've got one of those! I thought it was homemade. You have to zip tie the goggles in. If I could put new lenses in I'd use it. I tried it on and the main problem it lets a lot of paint through on a direct hit ( it's still better than just goggles).

Tug
Here's something that was homemade. Guys on our team were pretty skillful/artsy-crafty. One guy sewed harnesses, another guy is a jeweler and used to make his own sites & trigger shoes, and another guy used to make masks.

I think this one is from about 88 or 89. We'd provide him with the goggles and he'd form the wire screen around it and use hot glue & rivets to mate the parts together. I believe he'd buy the tiger stripe netting from I&I Sports.

Guys using this designer's masks ended up on the cover of multiple APG's, full page ads for Jim Lively Productions, etc.

Very clean IMHO for the times. I put a modern mask in the pictures for a modern historical reference.

Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

God I love old school stuff. The creativity, inovation, the unique ideas that come from someone who has a need, basic tools, basic know-how.

Good for Glenn on what he did when EMR told him no. I know it was because of the insurance companies and because it isn't "ASTM Approved". I know the ASTM has improved the safety of the goggle equipment that we use, like the I3's, Profilers, E-Vents, event the JT stuff got better.
Maxx102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
I'm unsure of how much they would prevent fogging. They still seal around the eyes like all other goggles. Another issue would be the slap you'd get from a side shot. The mask sit farther off your face the more flexible/molded plastic masks. There is more air flow around you head though so it would help you stay cooler that way.
I have a bad habbit of breathing upwards, even with my profilers, it's not the lenses, but my glasses that fog.
Maxx102 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts