mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Vector question of my own. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/4923-vector-question-my-own.html)

knightmare96 10-11-2006 10:01 PM

Vector question of my own.

How do you adjust the velocity without an external reg? Someone said there is an allen screw in the ASA. All my ASA has is two holes for air passage. Am I missing something?

Lrrpie-CT 10-11-2006 10:07 PM

Depending upon the model, yes. My Vector Model B has an allen screw in the right side hole in the ASA. That is the adjuster for velocity. It increases or decreases the tension on the valve spring sort of like in a nelson valved gun.

knightmare96 10-11-2006 10:29 PM

Is it down in the hole. (can you see it without a flashlight?)

any idea on what size wrench I would need if mine has one?

Phantom Power 10-11-2006 10:53 PM

If yours has the two holes, then it's what's known as "Thruster Ready". The velocity piston inside the AB has been removed and the setscrew that moved the piston is also gone. The only way to adjust velocity on a Thruster ready Vector is with a regulator, or accquiring the velocity piston and setscrew and putting them back in.

knightmare96 10-11-2006 11:00 PM

gotcha... so if my velosity is all over the place, then it is probably the regs fault? Any other diagnosis?

CrazyBoy78 10-11-2006 11:09 PM

Is it a new reg? If so, it just needs to be broken in. What fps range are you getting? When I got my Vec, I needed to put a new spring in because with the old one I wasn't getting more than 150 fps or so.

knightmare96 10-11-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyBoy78 (Post 41926)
Is it a new reg? If so, it just needs to be broken in. What fps range are you getting? When I got my Vec, I needed to put a new spring in because with the old one I wasn't getting more than 150 fps or so.

I got it used just last week, It came with a stabalizer. The stab is in very good condition it could be new, or it could need rebuilt... I put 500 rounds through it and wherever I turned the stab I was getting +/- 50 fps (way more than I expected for a stabalizer.

CrazyBoy78 10-12-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightmare96 (Post 41931)
...and wherever I turned the stab I was getting +/- 50 fps (way more than I expected for a stabalizer.

Yeah... I think Palmer's has a rebuild package but I can't seem to find it right now.

But first, open it up and inspect it. Could just be dried out. Oil it up and try it out. If it's still giving you a big variance (IIRC, you shouldn't get much more than +/- 5 fps or so) then get the rebuild kit.

Wycke 10-12-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyBoy78 (Post 42098)
Yeah... I think Palmer's has a rebuild package but I can't seem to find it right now.

But first, open it up and inspect it. Could just be dried out. Oil it up and try it out. If it's still giving you a big variance (IIRC, you shouldn't get much more than +/- 5 fps or so) then get the rebuild kit.

Don't forget that paint has a huge effect on velocity consistency. Vectors have huge bores, so just about any paint will shoot through them, but not necessarily very well. If the size of the balls is all over the place, then your velocity will be, too. If the stab has a gauge port (all male stabs do, some - but not all - females do) and you have a gauge, stick it in there and see what the output pressure is. That's the only way to be reasonably sure that the reg is at fault.

kidneythief 10-12-2006 01:46 PM

You could also pull the AB apart to see if the piston was left in. The set-screw could have been removed but not the piston.

-Jake