mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

anyone have a cocker threaded PPS barrel they wouldn't mind sending to me so we can find out?
brycelarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot to thrill View Post
or they actually shoot really well...........
I've owned three. One dual vented in cocker threads for my mag, one unported that came with my Blazer and one dual vented I bought for the Blazer. They aren't bad barrels but I've always said that if they were made by any other company they wouldn't be half as popular as they are. I love PPS regs and markers they are among the best money can buy but for barrels Lapco is king.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
I've owned three. One dual vented in cocker threads for my mag, one unported that came with my Blazer and one dual vented I bought for the Blazer. They aren't bad barrels but I've always said that if they were made by any other company they wouldn't be half as popular as they are. I love PPS regs and markers they are among the best money can buy but for barrels Lapco is king.
If they were made by someone else they probably wouldn't be as good.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

it's the Brass and more importantly the elliptical bore.
from a physics point of view it just makes sense.
LK-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mespllingesnogud

Can someone explain the elliptical bore? How does the seem follow the same patch every time?
Mespllingesnogud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
They are good barrels.
If I didn't have an appropriate barrel for a closed bolt gun I would buy one, top of my list.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

OK thanks again for all the input. I'm gonna give them a shot. Once I can afford to do so, anyone want a scepter kit?
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mespllingesnogud View Post
Can someone explain the elliptical bore? How does the seem follow the same patch every time?
the seam does not follow the same path each time, and i don't think anyone claimed it did.

Palmer Pursuit Shop Barrels

Glenn Palmer is the man credited with creating the Semi-Automatic Paintball Gun/Marker.
His design was then copied by others and mass-produced, although the copies of Glenn’s design have never equaled the guns/markers produced by the man himself.
Glenn’s family had a tradition of Gun Smithing.
When Glenn discovered Paintball he brought insights from the world of Firearms and Pneumatics and applied them to the markers being offered at the time as they were found to be in drastic need of improvement.
One of the improvements that Glenn made was to the Paintball Gun/Marker Barrel.

Palmer barrels are made of Brass.

Why?
Some substances are just naturally slick against others.
For example look at asbestos brake pads,
together they slide like wet ice but you place that same brake pad against the steel of a break disk and they stick like glue.
Brass is the most naturally slick material to the shell of a Paintball.
OK, but what about coated barrels with Teflon and stuff like that?
Well Teflon is a very slick substance,
BUT it doesn't’t last very long, you can look at any Teflon cookware and see that the Teflon eventually flakes off and in a barrel this will give you a dead spot that will cause you no end of grief because of odd spins and what not.
Now most of us have seen the slow motion film of a rubber ball bouncing, and if you haven’t here’s a link to a version of it:....................... well several relivant versions
link fixed :

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/h...l%20bounce.wmv

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/h..._ball_lift.wmv

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/h...all_bounce.wmv

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/h..._ball_kick.wmv

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/h..._head_slap.wmv

The ball flattens out on impact and expands around its mid section then springs back to its regular shape.
Well a Paintball does this when the gas that propels the ball slams into it from behind.
A Palmer barrel’s diameter expands slightly, toward the center of it’s length then contracts back down to a tight fit on the ball again. This allows for the expansion of the ball when the gas impacts it from behind and controls the balls rebound into it’s natural size and shape.

In a barrel with a constant bore the ball is traveling down a constant diameter tunnel and this will create a split second of over tension and dramatic friction between the ball and the barrel. That split second of over tension/friction throws all your effort to match your paint balls diameter to your barrels diameter right out the window.

Sorry paint to barrel match dosen’t really work the way the people selling you barrels would like you to think it does.

What about rifling?
Well the rifling you find in Paintball is not the same as the rifling you find in real steel firearms.
With a real steel firearm you spin the bullet at 90 degrees to its direction of travel, much like throwing a spiral with a football.
This makes dense spots in the bullet’s mass take on the effect of a concentric ring of the same density and the bullet travels straighter.
This will not work with a Paintball.
For a lateral spin to benefit a Paintball the same way it does a bullet the ball must spin much faster than it’s shell strength will allow.
Now what about the spin that a “FLAT LINE” barrel provides?
This spin is the same as the direction of travel and because of its forward motion it creates a difference in the air pressure above and below the ball.
Does this work; do you get a longer flight of a ball shot from the “Flat Line” barrel?
Well yes, golfers have known about the benefits of a spinning ball in flight for years, and in fact the DIMPLES on a golf ball are to increase this effect.
Now don’t go thinking your dimpled paint will shoot better in your “Flat Line”, the dimples are too irregular to be of any real benefit.
Although “DRY” shell paint, paintballs that have a hazy slightly textured surface, as opposed to a glossy shiny smooth surface will shoot farther in a “Flat Line” barrel.
Trouble with a Flat Line barrel is the ball tends too loose much of its forward velocity because of the energy lost to the barrel. This means a greater amount of gas is needed to achieve shooting velocity and this will in turn lower your shot count. (Tippmann Flatline markers have a rep. for being gas hogs)

but don't believe me.
get one (buy or borrow) and try it out for yourself.
bet you will be glad you did.

Last edited by LK-13; 09-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
LK-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

response in red
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK-13 View Post
The ball flattens out on impact and expands around its mid section then springs back to its regular shape.
Well a Paintball does this when the gas that propels the ball slams into it from behind.

problem with this theory is that in the high speed videos that TK did the ball show minimal distortion when the gas hits it - it's just not that dramtic. How much do PPS barrels expand in the middle?

Sorry paint to barrel match dosenít really work the way the people selling you barrels would like you to think it does.

you're correct, as cocker punk and I have proven - paint to barrel match doesn't work like people think. The tighter the barrel the better consistency and efficiency. Having an over-bored center is only going to waste propellant

Trouble with a Flat Line barrel is the ball tends too loose much of its forward velocity because of the energy lost to the barrel.

yup, they are gas hogs - because a flatline barrel has a really, really big ID

but don't believe me.
get one (buy or borrow) and try it out for yourself.
bet you will be glad you did.
I would love to actually put a PPS barrel to the test. What's the waiting time on ordering a new on from Palmers? I'm sure if it didn't actually perform better someone would still be willing to buy it here - right?
brycelarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
response in red

I would love to actually put a PPS barrel to the test. What's the waiting time on ordering a new on from Palmers? I'm sure if it didn't actually perform better someone would still be willing to buy it here - right?
They should have some barrels in stock, depends on what gun its going on.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts