mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

PPS Barrel preformance question.

Ok I have shot some very nice PPS guns. I have loved each and every one.

Irreguardless of how I tweek anything else they do not compare to the accuracy (or at least my perception thereof) to my PPS guns.

My question is does this come from the magic PPS love? or can a well tuned gun x with a PPS barrel duplicate the accuracy I am searching for?

What is your experience with PPS guns vs. pps barrels oh experts?
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

In my experience, any consistent gun with a good barrel shoots extremely well, including non PPS guns.

Closed bolt guns..like autocockers and PPS stuff, need wedgits. They can use a freak barrel or other adjustable bore barrel, but from my experience, a quality .689 barrel (a lapco big shot) with PPS wedgits is basically all you need for a closed bolt gun.

So the issue is consistency. I personally prefer lapco 1 piece barrels over PPS barrels because I dont need to spend time polishing them and cleaning my polishing stuff.

But it is mostly the PPS good mojo. They are amazingly accurate sometimes. My first blazer in a woods game.. I just lobbed a couple at a tiny crack I knew a guy was shooting out of in a bunker probably over 50 yards away and up hill, and he raised his hand and got out. It was rediculous. So they are great.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I took 6 barrels to the field, and put them all on my CCM to decide which one I would use... I had a J&J brass, Stock CCM, 10 INch Dye Ultralight, Stiffi with 5 backs, Palmers 12" prass ported, Stock cocker barrel.

I was really hoping that the Stiffi or Ultralight would win out, as they are both far more AGG than brass (also worth noting that the Palmer's brass barrel belonged to a friend) Sure as ****, the Palmer's barrel was the best of all of them...

Still love it. Brass is simply best (<--- this comment refers to barrels alone)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sure I know that consistent velocity is is the key, along with a good barrel which I have. My main gun shoots great +/- 3 is the maximum fluctuation I ever see. What I am curious about is that with any barrel or barrel kit I try i still don't see the same accuracy (or perceived accuracy) that I got with my pps guns.

Sounds like from the huge 2 person sampling I should at least give a pps barrel a try. The good news is that even if it doesn't help the PPS barrel will hold it's value for resale.
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Get a PPS or Lapco barrel.

This thread reminded me that I have a 10" cocker threaded dual-ported .685 (no wedgits) brass barrel waiting for me there that I ordered a few weeks ago.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Popular

any well tuned, consistent gun that is shooting good paint will be accurate.

there is not magic to it.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
any well tuned, consistent gun that is shooting good paint will be accurate.

there is not magic to it.
Actually... PPS brass barrels are a bit magical.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I am not sure it comes down to barrels. My blazer with a 10" dye SS is an amazing shooter. That being said its only rival is the 12" dual ported barrel that the blazer came with.

As for non PPS usage my sniper is simply amazing, I have an ACI zero gravity barrel on it and it just nails paint all day long. The same goes for my phantom. Well the barrel on it is the stock but still the results are the same.

Mind if I ask what guns you are trying to tune? Some guns just dont take to tuning at all.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think a lot of the reputed accuracy has more to do with the reputation of Palmers they are known for producing such great products that even their barrels have an almost mystical quality about them. Because the barrels are made by Palmers they must somehow be better than other barrels right?
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sailor by choice

Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
I think a lot of the reputed accuracy has more to do with the reputation of Palmers they are known for producing such great products that even their barrels have an almost mystical quality about them. Because the barrels are made by Palmers they must somehow be better than other barrels right?
or they actually shoot really well...........

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts