mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dewok82

Reverse Co2 Flow through an Expansion Chamber

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I suppose it is better to feel slightly "n00bish" than to end up damaging a piece of precious paintball equipment...

Would there be any foreseeable problems with reversing the flow of co2 through an expansion chamber?
Are there any reasons it would hinder the functionality of the expansion chamber?

Pictures speak 1000 words, so please refer to the included images.

The specific expansion chamber in question is manufactured by 32* and I believe is hyped as being a "6 Stage". I did make an attempt to find a cutaway image or diagram of the internal workings with no success.

Any expertise offered on this matter would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Ps This is not an experiement. I am currently limited to this configuration (using the expansion chamber) due to my current selection of steel-braided hose and choice of rail.

Pps I know I know...get a stabilizer..

Ppps The line immediately above this is quite ironic if you think about it.
Automags.org Feedback
Mcarterbrown Feedback
Dewok82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

i don't know about that X chamber for sure, but from what i've seen there arn't any checks inside to restrict the flow, but i dont know how well its going to force expansion flowing down like that (better than nothing) is SS line that expensive? i'd replumb it to a more standard layout and be done with it, just my $0.02
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gun Hoarder

Send a message via AIM to pwpaintball

You donít want to use the expansion chamber that way. Liquid CO2 is heavier than the gas and it drop to the lowest point. That is why they are made that way so the liquid drops and gas rises. It is not a problem running them back wards as long as your out put is at the top.
My Sale

My Feedback
pwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Some EC's contained integrated backcheck valves. In thoses cases, you couldnt run them backwards.
But otherwise, there is no problem. EC's work by providing the co2 with extra surface area from which to absorb ambient heat.

Nick
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

That would almost force lquid into the gun, you would be better off haveing the line go from the tank to the valve.

Ian
frflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for the replies and insight.

I don't believe there is a backcheck valve as I can blow through the pictured setup. That was one of my main concerns and I feel silly for not just attempting to blow through it earlier.

As for co2 being heavier than air - would it be any worse for the c02 to flow up, down, and back up (as shown) than to just flow up the whole way?
Would gravitational effects overcome the benefits from extra surface area and ambient heat?

I was running anti-siphon co2 directly from the bottomline ASA to the valve with minimal problems, but darnit I spent good money on that matching expansion chamber and I'm gonna use it.

I do intend to replumb that beast. Does anyone make a male to female 1/8th NPT "spacer" (for between the vertical ASA and line to valve) or a 90* elbow with an extra long male part (so the hose can clear the rail without rubbing/scratching)?

Thanks again for all the GREAT input
Automags.org Feedback
Mcarterbrown Feedback
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I dont see any problems. I have to piont out though that you have that thing plummed *** backwards...

Take the verticle adaptor off and spin it 180* so the port is facing the same side as the airport on the valve. That will also flip the input port on the X-chamber. Then you should be able to plumb everything the "regular" way. Ideally you are going to run a hose from the drop to the bottom of the X-chamber then a hose from the VA to the valve.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes I did try to set it up the normal way - with the hose from the vertical ASA directly to the valve - but the Omega rail "wings" protrude too far to allow the hose to clear.
I also don't have the right length hose to go forward around the front of the wings and back to the valve or back and under the gap between the front and rear wings.
Ideally, I'd like to find a spacer type fitting for between the vert ASA output and the 90* elbow so the hose can clear the rail.
The base of that particular expansion chamber rotates independently from the top, so situating that input is a breeze (especially with that triple tapped Benchmark ASA).
Automags.org Feedback
Mcarterbrown Feedback
Old 10-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

You need to ditch the quick disconnect then. That will gain you some clearance...

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Walrus

You could try a 45 degree fitting instead of the 90 degree off of the vert ASA. That should angle it out enough to give the clearance you need. Also, why don't you rotate the Vert ASA around so the ouput port is on the same side as your valve input port? Your shorter piece of SS line should fit. That would just leave you with some way to connect from the bottomline to the input on the X-Chamber. But never the less, I have seen a 1" spacer on the AGD website but I think it was brass.

And this setup does seem like it may deliver liquid CO2 into your valve. Not easily, but it could.

EDIT: I had another brilliant idea. Put the male part of the QD in the vert ASA after you turn it around. Then on the hose that connects to the valve, put a 90 degree fitting going into the female part of the QD. (Basically put the QD between the 90* fitting and the VA.) This would act as your spacer and should still allow the use of the QD.

My Gallery

History: Line SI Bushmaster; PMI-3; VMX; '97 Autococker; KP-3; Enforcer 2(possible SWARM); Spyder Sonix; Monteneel Z-1; PGP 2K; BBT Typhoon; 2k1 SP Impulse; SP MiniMag; another PMI-3; VM-Magnum; Blazer #153; Pump MiniMag; Thrasher ULE Emag; Cool Camo Micromag; '94-'95(?) Evolution Minicocker; '95 Evolution Autococker; Blazer #710; CNC X-Mag; Gold Rush Micromag; Jungle Sunset Micromag; Wild Tiger Micromag
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts