mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Cleaning old parts

I have a old nelson, bought it heavily modified, and it came with a bunch of extra parts. Problem is the extra parts are pretty beat up some rust etc. how can I clean them up so that they are at least usable any ideas?
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnphantom View Post
I have a old nelson, bought it heavily modified, and it came with a bunch of extra parts. Problem is the extra parts are pretty beat up some rust etc. how can I clean them up so that they are at least usable any ideas?
This would depend on if it was surface rust or deep rust that pitted the metal and what part it was. For example:
Outside of body - in either case you could just sand it down(I prefer Scotchbrite but sandpaper or sand/bead blasting will work)
Internals or inside of body - surface rust just sand it off and polish the parts.
Internals/inside of body - "deep rust" it would just depend on the part if you can correct it or not. In some cases you could sane it down and polish it and it would still work in others the "pits" would cause friction and in turn either case the gun not to work properly or damage other parts.
Inside of barrel - Pitted you can hone it out to remove the pits or have it over-bored by an machine shop/airsmith and have it sleeved.
Hope this helps.

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yup, if you have access to a bead blaster that works great.

I've used sandpaper roll attached to a small polishing lathe to good effect on rusted barrels. I'll finish it off with some steal wool attached to a dowel and a power drill. A cheap Flex-hone replacement that hasn't harmed the Nellie I use.

I know of people who've used Easy Off and other cleaning products to remove the exterior coating. Just beware, as over application pits the surface badly! I wouldn't recommend this technique at all.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I used "Aircraft Remover" to take the paint off my Nelspot and that worked fine. Seriously, it's called "Aircraft Remover" ... it's made to take paint off of aluminum but generally works fine for other metals.

After that I just sanded and Scotch brite'd the outside. The inside of the barrel was worse though, and for that I used a shotgun hone, and then polished with a .30 cal cleaning kit using Scotch Brite ad a "patch" and some metal polish. Both the hone and the Scotch Brite were both run on a cordless drill.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
On a related note, anyone have tips on cleaning out rust and old teflon from tapped holes in aluminium?

I'm restoring a desert fox and all the steel screws and plugs are rusted pretty bad. Need to replace them with stainless.
grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

For that one, I've always just used my taps. Especially old ones that I don't mind grinding the tip off of. Just spin it into the hole, and it usually cleans it pretty well. If it doesn't want to go in, a quick dab of WD40 always helps, just be sure not to force it bad enough to crossthread it.

If you don't have dies, take a bolt of the appropriate size and grind some slightly angles slots lengthwise with a dremel. Also works for fixing crossthreaded holes in decades-old Ford small blocks, in a pinch.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Thanks guys I think it's all surface rust (we'll find out) on internal parts so here we go I'll try it tomorrow
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I would attempt to remove the rust without actually removing and material(sanding, blasting, ect.) this will typically give you a good idea of the extent of the rust. There are plenty of industrial rust removers that can be purchased. My favorite method is as follows:

Electrolytic rust removal,

Mix 1 part baking soda or the prefered washing soda with 10 parts water. Next take a car battery or car battery charger and hook the positive lead to the part to be cleaned and submerge it into the soda/water solution. Next slowly drop the negative lead into the solution. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. The parts should bubble, and the rust will simply wash away.

This method is pretty simple and will yeild great results...just make sure you connect the leads in the proper order just the same as jumping a car.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Anybody ever takening it to a tumbler or an industrial strength ultrasonic?

I doubt it would remove it all, but just curious to hear of the results. It would be shiner at least.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

WD-40 and Scotchbrite will easily take care of surface rust.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts