mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Enforcer III

Hey everybody,
New guy here to the forum. Was hoping that someone could answer a question about my gun, I plan to list it for sale on Ebay and wanted to be accurate. I am sure that it is an actual Enforcer III, I talked to Lou of Gramps & Grizzly and he assured me what I described was correct and the story of why they quit producing guns. But at Vintagerex it is called a Combat Connection marker. Are they the same or am I mistaken about something. I wrote to Carter a couple years ago researching the gun and sent him pics. He also said that it is an Enforcer III with removable barrel and bottom line. I will try to get some pics. taken soon if that would help with anything.
I said I would never sell it but kids somehow change lifes priorities......
Thanks for your time.
Oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Original SWARM

I was on Swarm for several years. Kent Carrol was a member of Swarm, he also ran our home field which was A.S.I.(Adult Simulations Inc.)
The first gun I bought was a Sheridan Pursuit pistol when they first came out(1987), it was 12 gram and factory side tapped but they did not come with the back bottle adaptor untill later.
Combat Connection sponsored Swarm at that time.

"Swarm Gun"
Combat Connection started doing custom gun upgrades like Mac-1, putting long brass barrels on PGP's and PMI 1 and 2's.The team used brass Sheridans and had them upgraded with longer barrels, 68 magnum feed blocks and delrin pumps.Tournements were still 12 gram only so we all had Rat Attack changers facing front under the grip and Assualt line "L" stocks, black "grease gun" type hose going up to a side tap.

"Enforcer"
The owner of Combat Connection, Bob Howerton passed away before the Enforcer was produced.His wife and 2 daughters kept the store going and put up the capitol for the equipment and materials to build the Enforcer with Kent doing most of the design and machining,while running the field on weekends.
Kent's field rental guns were Sheridans,mostly PMI 1's and 2's, tough guns but hard to maintain the valve seals and adjust the FPS (on back bottle guns)
Kent designed the Enforcer more as a better rental gun, or an upgrade barrel and body assembly, so it used Sheridan parts:grip frame,valve,hammer,bolt (most bolts were red Cooper-T's).On the Enforcer the valve is replaced from the front with only the pump rod if needed,the body was machined from 1" brass bar stock vs 7/8" thinwall tube used on PMI's giving it a much heavier wall thickness so it could be side tapped without soldering.the transfer port was 1/4". the barrels were soldered in a 3/8" wide U shape groove milled into the thick body so the large port was sealed inside the joint without any extra biuldup of solder on the outside of the gun.
They had quick strip bolt notches.The pump handles were round with one hole centered(a lot easier to make than a PMI pump handle) field gun pumps were bare aluminum,some team guns were black or white delrin and the retail pumps were black anno'd aluminum.
1988 to 1990 would be the window of production on Enforcers.
I would estimate less than 1000 were made and most of them were rentals for ASI/FOX.
The removable barrel was a very rare/late option not found on the rentals.
So with the semi's coming out the demand for Enforcers dried up about 1990.Combat Connection had invested alot to start up production of a gun that was soon obsoleted,they closed shortly after.
Gramps and Grizzly were known for developing the side-tap constant air method, which was used on the Enforcer as well as the later PMI guns.
I can not say if anyone else ever produced Enforcers, by the time Combat Connection closed several semiautos were out.After that pump guns did not get much attention.

If you would please post any information you got from Gramps and Grizzly.

Swarm won the Line SI masters in 1990 using Automags.
Three other Swarm members took over the ASI field from Kent.
It then became Fox River Games as it is today, still open and doing well.When the field went semi all the rentals were Automags.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Finally got some pics. No side tap, no muzzle break, nice wood (walnut?) grips may/may not be original. Red bolt, and # 0027 on rt. side front of body. I will try to post more tonight with the info. that I know. Now I'm in trouble for running late. EIII 3 .jpeg EIII 4 .jpeg
Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Original SWARM

Very nice !
When you have time can you post some pics with the grips off ?
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here is a pic. with the grip off. I also called Lou (Gramps) at Gramps & Grizzly again today because it was a few years since I had, and I wanted to try and be as accurate as I could. We talked for quite a while and since I type slow it would take me all night to write everything but the short story is:
Lou knew Bob Howerton before he passed away, (spoke very highly of him) and at some point after his death they also began producing the Enforcer as Bob had developed it. Of course they made upgrades and small changes like all airsmiths do. They even developed 1 as a semiauto which he recently sent to Jessica Sparks (former APG editor) who is planning a paintball museum he said. He actually sent all his personal Enforcer variants to her.
I am leaving out a lot of details but the important parts are that they quit building guns just as the semiauto prototype was getting good because their manufacturing liability insurance costs went astronomical. Lou estimated that there may have been as many as 2000 Enforcer IIs built, (not sure if that is including the guns built by Mr. Carrol or just the G&G guns). And he said there were somewhere between 150-200 Enforcer IIIs built and each was sequentialy numbered from 0001 starting over at each design variant. So this gun is # 27 of the Enforcer IIIs. And the wood grips on this gun are not original, all were built with Sheridan style plastic grips. I think I may have an old pair of PGP grips to put with this gun just for the 100% correct factor.
And I have to say "Thank You" to Smiley for all your help and info. That 1st. post of yours must have taken quite a while to type or your much better than me. (that not hard thing to acomplish, being better at something than me.)

2grip.jpeg
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Send a message via AIM to Stuffy

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Oooh very nice!

Pm sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_yeo View Post
Crossing the street in a third world country is my favorite extreme sport.

/My Feedback / My Art / My Portfolio / My Channel / A Review / WTB: Green JT IZE-Flex Mask/Parts! / FS: One of a Kind Stock / Rare Raincovers FS!
Stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Enforcer 3

That enforcer 3 was custom made by me in New Zealand with Gramps' permission. The gas tube that runs up through the grip on these guns is 1/8" copper tube. I recognise my badly grooved nylon pump. I've improved my machining a lot since those early days.
I made about 30 or 40 of them, some of which Gramps took back to the states after coming out for our Easter tournaments. I have even started to make a couple more for people out here that like "old brass".
Matrix_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ebay, camocow200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_NZ View Post
That enforcer 3 was custom made by me in New Zealand with Gramps' permission. The gas tube that runs up through the grip on these guns is 1/8" copper tube. I recognise my badly grooved nylon pump. I've improved my machining a lot since those early days.
I made about 30 or 40 of them, some of which Gramps took back to the states after coming out for our Easter tournaments. I have even started to make a couple more for people out here that like "old brass".
I heard the story about in the same lines..G&G said 200-250 were made and the real NO#s were about 50 maybe...I had #26 and sold it for 400 a few years back to Brian that wanted it for an on line Museum although i did offer it to Carter for 350.00 and he passed at the time... ..
I will always regret selling it,

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (1200) + 100% positive feedback
MCB 290 pos feedback

"Mar" bro: welcome to the forum, super nice marker - hopeful for your sale.
"stargazer" It's ma'am actually, not bro.
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts