mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stechele

Micromag threads

Ok I have a generic micromag body,and having issues with barrels fitting.
My understanding is that micromags are Cocker threaded 15/16-20, yet my WGP, SP, and WWA cocker barrels do not fit. They start threading in, and quickly bind. But my Diablo Wrath barrel (cocker threaded) fits just fine.
I have read that the difference is possibly in the tap that is used, (Bear with me I do not know much about taps) that female threads should be tapped with 15/16-20 GH7,not GH5. Whats the difference?
I would like to have the threads chased with the proper tap, so I can use a freak back on it.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

One is a bit oversized so that once the marker is anodized, the threads will be the proper spec. Anodizing adds about 0.001", which means in a cylinder it decreases the diameter 0.002". So if a barrel is threaded really close to the exact thread dimensions, once the ano layer is on there it's too tight. Hence the oversized tap which would cut an extra 0.002" off the diameter to start with.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Makes since. I was just comparing the threads, and they are shallow on the micromag body. Also it is raw at the moment.
Can anyone confirm that Micromags use cocker threads 15/16-20 ?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Yes,

and if I rmember right you have one of those knock-off bodies from ASP? Those were notorious for their shotty machining specifically the barrel threading. Many barrels will have slight variations in the threading...enough so that they may not thread in.

You can purchase the appropriate tap here: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...36062&PMT4NO=0

You can "chase" the threading with it. It is'nt the oversized tap but your simply chasing instead of cutting from scratch. It will open the threads enough to allow other barrels to thread in.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah it is the ASP body. I have spent all morning polishing out the terrible machining marks left behind.
Thanks for the link. I thought about getting the set off of ASP, but didnt want to drop 80 bucks on a tap set I would probably never use again.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneythief View Post
You can purchase the appropriate tap here: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...36062&PMT4NO=0

You can "chase" the threading with it. It is'nt the oversized tap but your simply chasing instead of cutting from scratch. It will open the threads enough to allow other barrels to thread in.

-Jake
I'd like to point out that the correct tap is 15/16"-20, H-7(in the Rat's nest). That Tap from MSC is actually an H3, so it's theoretically undersized, by 2 thousandths, but will probably work. Haveblue has a cocker tap set for $80, but he doesn't specify what exactly the tap size is, so it may not be the exact thing.

HTRN
Old 10-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

HaveBlue's is H-5.
I was told that H-7 was the one to use for female threads. That was the other reason why I did not pick up the set from Haveblue.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

H5 is only a thousandth off. I went looking for a source for the correct thread size in a standard offering(don't ask what custom taps cost!) and had no luck.

The numbers I quoted come from the rat's nest info on cockers, and they got the info from AKA, Notably Aaron himself cleared it up about the oversize. You have to remember that specs vary between manufacturers for "cocker threads" because they don't exactly share information, and that they probably don't actually use taps, but thread mill instead, which means a nonstandard thread size means diddly squat to them, they just get a thread gage made up, and use that for checking and reference.

HTRN

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts