mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I dont place much stock in sights that are more than a "ghost ring" or more than a "v" with a bead on the front. With the accuracy that you get with a paintball, it isnt really worth it.

You shoot one gun enough in the same configuration your aim will be second nature and reflex, and you dont have to buy either of those.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Roll your eyes all you want, but comfort and muscle memory will do more for you in shooting any kind of gun, expecially with the ranges you have in paintball.

the man who taught me to trap shoot explained it this way. You never aim a shotgun, you point it. Thus, by holding the forstock with my finger pointed, my body will be more likley to put the barrel in the same direction, and make my shot hit in a reflex action (which I percieve trap and other clay shoting to be).

Applies to paintball as well. I would get good at shooting one gun, and then change. Heck, it could be one Spyder to another.. and the diffrnece in grip and setup would change how good I could shoot it. Same with my KL. I am comfortable just pointing and shooting it, and can be pretty darn sccurate, or as accurate you can be shooting a 200mph knuckleball.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Plus, might I add that the 30 bucks you spend on a sight (or 70 on one of those adco or dye sights) could be put towards a good regulator, which will do more for your shot to shot consistancy than a sight will.
Old Timer Feedback
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Some things to consider:
You dont get a "cheek weld" with a paintball gun like you do with a trap gun- (Though I will admit to hacking out the side of my old JT mask to give me a cheek weld on my old back-bottled Piranha LB back in 1989ish. Every body would look at the scallop cut out of the mask and say "What kind of gun did that?") Also remember a trap gun shoots a "cloud" of shot thats about 12" in dia and depending on the choke/gauge/range youre shooting 18" long- it only takes one of thoes #7s to tick off a corner of the bird.

Also, sights are fast/faster than point shooting. Go on Youtube and google "Jerry Miculick" if you want to see FAST, accurate shooting. The difference is- He made a concerted effort to focus on the front sight, and has spent YEARS working on it.

The real reason people say that point shooting works is theyve never compared skills in a head-to-head environment that excludes variables, I.E IPSC/Action Shooting/IDPA style shooting. Try competing on a "Dueling tree" some time...you just have to lose focus on you front sight for a second and youve lost to the guy next to you who kept his front sight focus.

Now-real world- I'm not gonna use the sights in a bunkering situation. But if I get one chance to land a shot at anything beyond 15 feet, I'm using them.
Also remember that lots of sight systems you see on paintball guns are a kluge, to be frank. A ghost ring without a front sight? Try a red dot sight, and dont use any other method for six months (thats the amount of time it took me to transition from black, patridge style sights to a dot-sight in my Action Shooting days)..I bet you use less paint and get more eliminations.

If point shooting was as effective as its proponents claim, you'd see more people use it in matches. Those expensive sights work.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Im not saying they dont use it on firearms.

But to each their own. ive tried different sights, scopes, tried this and that.

Either I sight down the length of the gun, or just not at all.
Old Timer Feedback
Old 11-23-2006, 05:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
FM`
Rec Poster

Hmm, someone should slap a nice archery scope on this: http://mcarterbrown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5039
FM` is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts