mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
Exclamation Kinda dumb SCUBA tank question...

I am new to this whole HPA buisness (just got ant ATS AT-10, never used anything other than Co2 powered guns in my life) and i was wondering if it is possible to hook a scuba tank DIRECTLY to your marker by using a remote line, or if the scuba unit needs to be used to re-fill the HPA tank? ATS guns only need a constant pressure of around 1500-2000psi or so to cycle i think, so it would seem reasonable to me that i could set the tank directly to the gun, and it would be some time until it stooped below that level of pressure. ANY advice will help!!!
Iconic Muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

You can do it either way. A SCUBA tank, im pretty sure will output at full pressure, so, if you have 2300PSI in the tank, it will output 2300PSI. You'd have to run some sort of regulator to drop the pressure, since HPA tanks only output 850PSI+/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
It is possible to setup a scuba tank so that it feeds a gun directly, it gets expensive. First you will need a regulator to drop the pressure to something the gun is capable of handling. 2nd you will need to purchase a remote line that is capable of handling the pressures you are using. Lastly you will need to either source a new valve for the tank, or use an adapter. All this will be very complicated and very expensive.

Simple answer would be no.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
It is possible to setup a scuba tank so that it feeds a gun directly, it gets expensive. First you will need a regulator to drop the pressure to something the gun is capable of handling. 2nd you will need to purchase a remote line that is capable of handling the pressures you are using. Lastly you will need to either source a new valve for the tank, or use an adapter. All this will be very complicated and very expensive.

Simple answer would be no.

All that is correct, except the remote line....most remote lines are rated at 3000PSI, so...by the time you dropped the pressure coming out of the SCUBA tank, it would be well below the recommended pressure....unless, you went at it *** backwards, and set the reg after the remote, on the gun. But, yeah...basically, could be done. But, expensive, time consuming, lots of adapters, fittings....just buy a 114/4500 call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Iconic Muffinman,

I am confused with your question. Are you asking if you can connect an SCUBA tank, as in the large 20~50lbs tanks that people use to go SCUBA diving to your ATS-10 or are you asking if you can use a SCUBA tank to fill an HPA tank that is used to power the ATS-10? All modern ATS guns are powered from the standard output pressure of 850~900PSI out of standard Paintball HPA tanks. If your SCUBA tank has a higher output pressure than 850~900PSI then chances are the ATS-10 will work once, then all the seals go from the extra pressure. If you can get a regulator to set the output pressure from the large SUCBA tank to the 850~900 PSI range and fittings to go from the SUCBA tank to the ASA of the ATS-10 then there is no reason it should not work. I do not know of any paintball field that would let a player run out and around with a SCUBA tank on their back.

I have several ATS guns, they are pretty efficient. I get over a thousand shots with my 4500/68CU tank.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Agg- What you need a Rag?

Yes.. you could, but you would have to have a setup like this

SCUBA----3000PSI------->>>HPA TANK IN-------REG DOWN TO ~850PSI----->REMOTE COIL--------->GUN

IF you understand, if you need more shoot me a pm....

A: MAr
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

ninja whip...2 in a row
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
VCP

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Or you could just buy an Automag
http://www.zakvetter.com/paintball_videos/34bps.mov

secretweaponevan ~ "That wasn't in the instructions. Don't try to outsmart physics. Read and follow the instructions."
secretweaponevan ~ "You did great with following the instructions. Just so you know, that puts you in the top 1%."
Notch ~ "* Hoes now produce proper seeds"
ApoC_101 ~ "I don't always use freak inserts, but when I do, I use Ty McNeer brass inserts"

If you are having MCB Minecraft Server issues click HERE ~ ~ ~ Get DropBox and an Extra 250MB
Looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

When I'm doing big tests on guns I cascade using a remote coil from a scuba tank into the fill nipple on a tank screwed into my gun - works great and you should be able to shoot case after case.

Last edited by brycelarson; 03-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
When I'm doing big tests on guns I cascade a scuba tank into teh fill nipple on a tank screwed into my gun - works great and you should be able to shoot case after case.
Does that mean you have a fill nipple with a long hose with a fill adapter at the end?(connecting to the tank) Could you show a picture bryce?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts