mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Why are blowbacks low-end? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/7603-why-blowbacks-low-end.html)

Rudisill 12-09-2006 12:17 AM

Why are blowbacks low-end?

Why are blowback markers "low end"? Is there something about the blowback system that makes them less accurate or inconsistent?

It's a question that's been bugging me

russc 12-09-2006 12:38 AM

Well, the blowback system is probably the simplest way to make a semi-automatic firing platform. Because of this, it's great for cheap markers. What's more is that because of the large reciprocating mass, blowbacks tend to have quite a bit of kick to them, which throws off accuracy.

Phantom Power 12-09-2006 12:54 AM

Also, they're much less efficient than most other methods of operation.
Usually, they're made with lower quality materials as well.

HurtCow 12-09-2006 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom Power (Post 66645)

I can't help but notice the Vector emblem below this statement. :ROTFL:

For me it's more of a 'feel' thing. Shoot a Tippmann or a Spyder, then shoot a Cocker, Mag, or Blazer. Feels like a 'whack' as opposed to 'ka-chuck'. My ICD Alley Cat feels very refined for a blowback and I use both my 98's regularly, but they don't compare with the precision feel of my Desert Fox, Mag, Vector, or any other of my 'higher-end' mech guns. They just feel more consistant and 'purposeful'.

Rudisill 12-09-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurtCow (Post 66665)
I can't help but notice the Vector emblem below this statement. :ROTFL:

For me it's more of a 'feel' thing. Shoot a Tippmann or a Spyder, then shoot a Cocker, Mag, or Blazer. Feels like a 'whack' as opposed to 'ka-chuck'. My ICD Alley Cat feels very refined for a blowback and I use both my 98's regularly, but they don't compare with the precision feel of my Desert Fox, Mag, Vector, or any other of my 'higher-end' mech guns. They just feel more consistant and 'purposeful'.

I know exactly what your talking about.

I've got a blazer now and shot automags before.

I was just never quite sure what it was about blowbacks...

scarecrow 12-09-2006 10:48 AM

Everything said so far is true of blowbacks and there is one more thing that I would like to add. They are quite reliable and simple. This makes them appealling to novice players, and field owners. They can be half full of crud, leaking paint, dirt, and have the barrel jammed full of balls and they will still cycle. This is one reason I have great admiration for Tippmann markers. They may not be the prettiest, most accurate, or have the highest rate of fire, but they will work when everything else has thrown in the towel.

DarkStar 12-09-2006 11:08 AM

They are also one of the oldest systems. Everyone knows if it's old it's no good :rolleyes:
They generally require Higher Pressure to get the bolt to reset, which we also know is no good :rolleyes:

-MR

HP_Lovecraft 12-09-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom Power (Post 66645)

Much less? Some of the most effecient guns EVER were all blowbacks. And blowbacks are the fastest firing guns as well.

Blowbacks are considered "low end" because they are cheaper to make. So, "low end" guns are all blowbacks.

You could easily make a "high end" blowback, but the problem is comsumers expect "more" if they are paying $1000.
They think that non-blowbacks are more accurate, and can fire faster.

manafacturers also use dishonest tactics like purposely CAPPING e-blowbacks at slow speeds to encourage owners to upgrade to better guns.

It is funny, though, to think that the hat the blowbacks of 12 years ago are far superior to the blowbacks of today.

Cunha 12-09-2006 01:39 PM

The Icon Z-1 Blowbacks you mean. :D

There are some good blowbacks today. Sentinels, and Vector-m1's / Viper m1's are both relatively recent takes on the old design, and work well.

These days, automags are so so so cheap and most people get HPA anyways, id practically reccomend an automag to most newbies.

FeedTheDogg 12-09-2006 02:01 PM

My question is why is an automag a high end mechanical semi (according to the catagories on pbreview.com....I mean, aren't automags simple semi autos as well? I LOVE MAGS! got a classic and an RT with lv 10