mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to paintballwannab

I've used a mag in 16 degrees, with a x-chamber and remote. It works if you shoot slow, but doesn't perform like a normal mag.

for winter play i would pick up a nice tippmann 98, they last forever and shoot in any condition.

HPA is your best bet, but isn't always avaiblable.
One field i used to play at was about 2hrs from any source of air period, so we would fill our HPA but after those ran out we had a huge Co2 tank(like 5ft tall, welders tank?) with a fill station that we just filled co2 right there all day.
Ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/paintballwannab/
Mcarterbrown.com
http://mcarterbrown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8131

I do powder coating, PM for details.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
JFD
Rec Poster

Thanks for all the input. Yeah, I had a feeling keeping the tank warm might have some adverse effects, That's why I thought I'd ask first. Thanks.
I play on a friends property in Alexandria, NH, I don't even know where the closest place to fill HPA would be. We bring a 50lb CO2 fill station with us, use a chrono and really make an effort to keep a safe environment, as we play with our kids (early to late teens) and I wouldn't want to do something that wouldn't be safe. I tested the gun with the x-chamber and remote and it seemed fine, being a pump player I don't expect to be "shooting ropes" anyway. Besides tomorrows supposed to be in the mid 50s.
Does anyone know if an A-5 is a suitable year round gun? My son uses a 98, but wants an a-5 and I myself was considering the same thing.
Thanks again, John
JFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Anti-siphons don't help for the cold weather, but they do help tremendously at keeping liquid out of the gun. Automag's won't tolerate liquid at all, so they aren't great guns to use CO2 on in cold weather.

Siphon tanks allow a gun to run on liquid CO2. If a gun is capable of running on straight liquid, then it's perfect for cold weather environments because you don't get the shootdown problem that you do with running on gaseous CO2.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Send a message via AIM to PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
And I'm a bit confused. Some are saying anti syphon and the answers are saying syphon. I gather the Mag doesn't like liquid getting into the works?
With the remote line and the expansion chamber, you should be OK as long as you don't try to shoot as fast as possible. And yes, Mags don't like liquid.

I only mentioned the anti-siphon as an extra preventative measure to keep any liquid CO2 out if your setup is to have the bottle horizontal instead of vertical in your pack.

AIM: PJDarknight
CPPA #1145 / PPIG #496 / LPPC #103 / POG #1047 / Team Rogue Cell #7
PJ's Gallery on MCB
Feedback on MCB
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

find a c02 tank cover. Its safer and wont feel too cold.
FeedTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

At the place I used to work at we tracked fills out of the bulk CO2 50#'ers, and we noticed a huge drop off in cold weather, so we took an electric blanket, rolled it around a 50# tank, and taped it into a tube so you could just drop it over the tank as you switched tanks. It worked great and it was just like filling on a hot day. We never ran it that warm, but an 80 degree tank fills alot better than one thats 45 degrees.

Probably not OSHA compliant, but it worked pretty well.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

If using another gun or HPA aren't viable options, I'd suggest using nothing more than body heat to warm the tank up. In the pre-HPA days (well, before it was so affordable, anyway), I remember a lot of folks carrying their tanks inside their coats, close enough to their skin to keep it reasonably warm, but far enough away that it can be removed conveniently. Use a remote line and run the hose through your sleeve. Kinda locks you into using one hand all day, but most of us do that, anyway.

-Chad

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

I was talking to my local proshop owner a couple of days ago about playing in the snow, and he said that he used heat packs. However, to keep it safe he would underfill the tanks slightly, and wrapped the tank and heater in tin foil to keep the heat constant. He said it worked pretty good, and didn't seem to pose a safety problem.
wespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
Use a remote line and run the hose through your sleeve. Kinda locks you into using one hand all day, but most of us do that, anyway.

-Chad
There used to be a remote system that actually looped through yout buttpack so your body heat would warm the CO2. Designed by Zander of Ironman (and battlebot) fame.

It was banned by the NPPL because it would raise FPS.

Quote:
He said it worked pretty good, and didn't seem to pose a safety problem.
He either lied to you, since it was too much trouble to come up with a safe solution. Or just didn't care. Either way, I wouldnt play at a field that had such an unsafe policy.

Lets assume he only 1/2 files the co2 tank?
On a cold day, the pressure would be 400psi

Most handwarmers are about 130 degrees, which would make the tank 1600psi.

Handwarmers work slow, so it might tank 30-60 minutes for them to actually warm a 12oz tank to 1600psi.

So you see the problem? Pressure creep. The pressure will slowely creep from 400psi to 1600psi when the gun is not being used, and then creep back down when the gun is being fired.
There is absolutely no safe way to ever use a system like this, since there is NO guarrentee that when you chrono at 280fps it will be anywhere CLOSE to that later in the game, or day.

nick
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Unless you have a regulator on the gun, that would cover the pressure creep.

If i may but in with a gun suggestion for cold weather.. nothing beats out a vector. At the 2nd Cold *** Skirmish game, those with vectors ended up being the only ones to reliably fire, and fire normally. That day was -2 degrees.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts