mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
JFD
Rec Poster

Tank warmer?

I was thinking of using one of those battery operated socks as a tank warmer. I'm starting to play semi alittle more and The only semi I own is a mag. Along with an x-chamber and remote, will this make any difference in the cold weather performance of the mag? Or is it a dumb idea all together?

John
JFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to grande

If it heats up too much you'll blow a burst disc since the pressure rises as the tank warms up. I wouldn't suggest using anything to heat your tanks (besides body heat ).

Maybe you should give compressed air a try?
grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

When I worked at AGNH, we would kick out anyone who tried to used ANY type of tank heating device.

It is EXTREMELY dangerous.

The problem is that it causing massive FPS spikes. So, you might chrono at 280fps, then a minute later, the gun is shooting 350fps!! That speed is going to seriously hurt something.

Then as you fire, the tank is going to cool far faster then the heater can keep up, which causes massive dropoff. It leads to the situation where FPS is dropping, then spiking, then dropping, then spiking.

So, do not use any sort of tank heaters.

If you plan on using co2 in the winter, your options are:
1- Run a siphon if your gun allows it. That will fix all your problems.
2- Run a decent E/C. This only helps a little.
3- Rent a HPA tank.
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Seconding the siphon if your gun can take it. Another blow struck for old markers!
TrracerAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
One Shot Wonders

Send a message via Yahoo to Delamorte

CCM Fan
Interesting..

Heh, as a kid we used hand warmers. If you took just one small one, shook it up and put in into a sock a the end of the tank, it would keep it from freezing up and going liquid.

We never noticed the spiking, probably because we were shooting pumps, and conserving paint, as it was so expensive back then. Shooting 20 or 30 balls per game was alot. At least we didn't shoot much until the PMI-3 was invented. You have no idea the arguments we had about "hose monstering" after that.

We never had a single burst disk problem, but I'm not sure how hot an electric sock gets. I wouldn't figure it would get that warm, it does go on your foot afterall.

Siphon would be better, most fields probably wouldn't allow any kind of "old school, back woods" inventions, though we had all kinds back in the day.
Delamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Send a message via AIM to PJ

Using the remote and expansion chamber should work fine. If the tank is horizontal on your back then also add an anti-siphon to it. I second the motion for compressed air for winter play. You can pick up a 48 ci/3000 psi tank pretty cheap now, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the CO2 in cold weather issues at all.

AIM: PJDarknight
CPPA #1145 / PPIG #496 / LPPC #103 / POG #1047 / Team Rogue Cell #7
PJ's Gallery on MCB
Feedback on MCB
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

You can't run a siphon tank on an Automag, so that's out of the question.
If you want to use a Mag in cold weather, HPA is probably your only option. If you want to use CO2 in cold weather, you should probably look at picking up a Montneel or a Tippmann 68 Special. Some gun that loves to run on liquid CO2. Then you can run a siphon tank and avoid the cold weather problems CO2 has.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to grande

Come to think of it we tried having heat pads on the mags regulator but they didn't help much...
grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Any tippmann with a CVX valve runs well on liquid (ProCarbine, m98, 98c)

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

One guy I was talking to recently in a shop mentioned how they used to have a bucket of lukewarm water to put their CO2 tanks into between matches. Not hot (it wouldn't stay hot for long anyhow), just lukewarm. THis would at least bring the tank back up to "normal" before the next match.

And I'm a bit confused. Some are saying anti syphon and the answers are saying syphon. I gather the Mag doesn't like liquid getting into the works?

And I had heard that a good expansion chamber is pretty decent at converting the liquid to a gas. Not so? Certainly the 32* monster that came with one of my markers is large enough that if it doesn't work that well then someone should be sueing them for gross overdesigning! ! !

Obviously HPA is the way to go but I sure do hate the size of the bottle and cover on them. I even find the 20 oz tanks are bulky. I'm looking at setting up anti syphoned 12's for most of my semis. For the cold I'm hoping I can get away with an XC on a simple blowback and have it play fairly reliably.

But I'll be keeping my HPA just in case..
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts