mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-18-2006, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Alternator Customs

A few questions about Black Chrome

I'm looking into getting my PGP replated in black chrome this spring and I was wondering a few quick things.

How does black chrome take to brass, would I have flacking, and cracking problems down the road?

What kind of special instructions do I need to give the plater about getting the chrome in the bores, and threads?

How well could some light laser engraving go over on the chrome? I've never really seen it done, so I wasn't sure if I'd run into any problems.

Can getting a PGP replated from already having nickel hurt the tubing, or solder?

On a lighter note, how do you guys think a black chrome PGP, with some type of laser engraving on the end feedtube, and barrel (I'm open to ideas)? Then having the aluminum parts anodized with a General Lee theme (I guess I'll try to get the frame match powder coated orange to the other parts)?

Thanks guys!

BEO Mafia
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

The chemicals involved in black chrome plating is highly toxic, so not a lot plater would do it and those that does it generally charges an arm or leg for it.

Doc did one years ago and the result was less than spectacular, if you don't like the shiny plated look, perhaps a patina finish might be more interesting on a PGP, that is where you polish up the brass to a mirror finish, than use a combination of mild acid and heat to darken the polish brass.

As with the PGP frame? it is made of pot metal it, a mixture or different type of metal, can't be anodize, because the acid will just eat the frame in no time, look into Duracoat, it's spray on process that doesn't require baking and it is more wear resistant than powder coating.
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Alternator Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayodder View Post
The chemicals involved in black chrome plating is highly toxic, so not a lot plater would do it and those that does it generally charges an arm or leg for it.

I have found a few platers that do it, haven't asked for a quote yet, but if it is to high, I'll pick up a small kit, and do it myself. I was also thinking of Bronze plating, has a very dark color to it that I like!

Doc did one years ago and the result was less than spectacular, if you don't like the shiny plated look, perhaps a patina finish might be more interesting on a PGP, that is where you polish up the brass to a mirror finish, than use a combination of mild acid and heat to darken the polish brass.

I have seen patina finishs before, not really my bag, and I was looking for a polished finish.

As with the PGP frame? it is made of pot metal it, a mixture or different type of metal, can't be anodize, because the acid will just eat the frame in no time, look into Duracoat, it's spray on process that doesn't require baking and it is more wear resistant than powder coating.

Yes, I know it can't be anodized. As for wear, I have a few things powder coated, that get used a good bit (Even more then I use the PGP.
Any word as to my other questions?

Thanks again!

BEO Mafia
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
RamboPreacher had an article on his page about having something doen (a mag body, IIRC) in Black Chrome.

.. here it is http://www.pentestone.com/paintball/BlackTunaMag.htm
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

A note, though. *Every single* piece of black chrome I've ever dealt with has washed out to normal chrome where it comes into contact with skin on a fairly regular basis.

It was more readily available stuff, so probably not the best quality, but something to keep in mind.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts