mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I've always thought braided SS hose looked much classier than macro line. I'll admit that macroline is easier to use, but I've always felt it looked too toy-like. SS hose covered is black shrink tubing looks nice, too.

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

I have a mixture of the two, sometime the distance I need to bridge is just to short to for the shortest braided hose without kinks, I would switch to a macroline.

When I use macroline I wrap a couple loops of Teflon tape before I stick it into the fitting, always make sure the ends are cut square and at least 1/2"-3/4" longer than the distance required.
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
I've porked many

I prefer to use stainless hard line with swagelock fittings. I`m in the process of replacing all the lines on my markers with it. Braided stainless line comes second in my likes. I really don`t care for macroline, but it is easy and quick to use

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surestick View Post
I could be wrong but isn't there a difference between the rated pressure for liquids & gasses? I remember someone mentioning this in a discussion about using automotine steel brakeline with macroline fittings to make hardlines.
True. The pneumatic rating is around 1/3 of the hydraulic rating.
So, if a grease-gun hose says its rating for 15,000psi burst max, thats about 5,000psi burst max for pneumatics, which is about 1700psi working max.

Nick
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surestick View Post
For those of you using Microline, at what point (in terms of BPS) do you feel it's smaller diameter becomes too restrictive?
Not entirely sure, as I don't use semi-autos. It has a very small diameter. I'd say it's 3-4 times smaller than macro.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Most macroline isn't rated for high pressure set-ups, but there is stuff out there that is. I think it's made by a company called Parker... at least I've heard it refered to as "parker line".
Rudisill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
True. The pneumatic rating is around 1/3 of the hydraulic rating.
So, if a grease-gun hose says its rating for 15,000psi burst max, thats about 5,000psi burst max for pneumatics, which is about 1700psi working max.

Nick
Hrm...I bought a piece of grease gun hose once in a pinch (because the nearest PB shop was closed and there was a Pep Boys right across the street). Mounted it to my Phantom (from the backbottle ASA to a bottomline) and proceeded to screw in a tank. There were no leaks from the fittings, but in about 10 seconds, a bulge appeared around the middle of the hose. I promptly unscrewed the tank, but not before the bulge grew to about 2" in diameter. Oddly, after removing the tank, the bulge remained. Being the idiot I am, I poked it with an o-ring pick only to have it split open with a frightening little "crack" that left an inch-long gash in the hose covering. Inside, it had braided stainless...which I thought was weird. I'd heard these hoses used layers of rubber and a type of plastic, but I didn't know they were also "steel-belted", so to speak.

At any rate, I never touched the stuff since then. I used microline on my Phantom for a while, but found it to be unreliable. Same with macroline. The only exception is on my ProLite, which has macro wrapped in that springy metal wire that Tippmann used from the factory on the ProLites.

I usually stick with braided stainless hose, but would like to convert everything to hardlines once I have the skill and equipment to do so. I also use quick-disconnects like they're going out of style. I'm too damn cheap to buy enough regs for all of my markers, so the QDs make swapping them from one gun to another very easy. Except 'cockers. Anyone else noticed that the air input on stabilizers tends to hit the trigger guard on most 'cocker frames?

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Since I started using Macro line, like 6 years ago, I havent gone back. I have had 1 blow on me, from a reg that would spike when being filled. Other than that, I have used it for Co2 (unregged, but I make sure it doesnt sit in the sun) and HP HPA. The main reason I like it better than SS, is that I can get a cleaner install, as I can cut the Macro to the exact length I need. And buying the Parker brand is best. I have used 32* and other cheaper ones without any problems, maybe I have just been lucky. I am switching all my fitting over to either Camozzi or Norgren, which ASP stocks. Even though I have only had 2 fittings leak. A clean cut on the ends is mportant, but again I have had good luck with sightly uneven ends. I make sure that I cut the Macro a tiny bit long, so that it stays snug between fittings when not under pressure.

Overall, it purely personal preferance IMHO. If your worried about it blowing dont use it. Not worried about it blowing? Use it.

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

my friend uses Macroline with unregged CO2 all the time and has never had any problems.
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
After a nasty blow out with Macro-line that I received off ebay with a gun, I avoid macro like the plague... If used at all it's only after a secondary reg.

The reg gave out on my HPA bottle and dumped bottle pressure (about 3k) into the macro wich promplty blew. It was right against my hand.. My hand went numb.. I dropped the gun to the ground half expecting to see my finger blasted off (I could no longer feel any of my fingers). Just a nasty gash across two of my fingers and a huge bruise across the palm of my hand. About an hour later I regained feeling in that hand (The numb was better.. cause that's when the pain set in).

I definately prefer Stainless

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.

Last edited by DarkStar; 12-19-2006 at 06:23 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts