mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Barrel kits and anodizing ?'s

I'm trying to get a decent barrel kit for my '04 Viking that I will eventually be anodizing along with the marker. I have done this before with a freak kit (anodized to match my GZ Intimidator), but the freak kit has inserts, and thus the only part of the barrel bore that is affected is the over-sized ID tip. My freak works alright on my Intimidator, but I'm looking for something different this time.

I LOVE the 2-piece Dye Ultralite on my Pump Mag, it really drives tacks cleanly (and quietly). I'm also considering an Evil Pipe kit. I don't have any experience with it, but they seem to get good reviews. Finally, I'm looking at a TI Longbow.

Here's my comparison chart (my personal opinions):

Freak kit: Cheap cost, decent accuracy, already have one on my GZ Intimidator. The extra kit I have has a Stainless Steel back, which is heavy, and I can only anodize the tip.
Evil Pipe: No experience with it, looks great, entire thing can be anodized, I can get a full kit from a local store for $105.
Dye Ultralite: Great accuracy, looks great, expensive to acquire back pieces!, entire kit can be anodized.
TI Longbow: Titanium!, can be had for relatively cheap, no experience with this kit, backs are semi-short, so barrel tip will really show the nice anodize I plan on doing.

My questions are: Will anodizing a barrel affect the internal bore? If I anno one of these kits (including the barrel backs) will I need to have them re-honed on the inside? I'm concerned that the nice clean bore will be made 'dirty' and won't shoot clean through a possible break...

Are there any other barrel kits that I should consider that won't be affected by the anodize, but will provide the excellent performance that I expect from my barrels? I love the one-piece Dye Boomsticks, but I have yet to be able to figure out how to remove the glued tip and then get it re-attached correctly (and precisely!). Thanks in advance.

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."

Last edited by SpinDoctor15; 12-21-2006 at 01:12 PM.
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
CHEERS!

I can't help with anodizing questions... but as far as barrels go:

Get Lapco one-piece barrels. Hands down.

Stay away from the Pipe kit... have a friend who had one... it blew chunks. Absolutely horrible.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cheffer

Im a huge fan of dye ultralites. If you don't care about color (because you're going to get it ano'd) then you can occaisionally find an ugly color back for cheap. I use ultralites on every marker of mine that hase a removeable barrel (DM5, 98C, Sterling pump) and had one for my mag as well (mag is gone now). I haven't decided if the ion is staying yet, so it doesn't yet have one, but will if it stays. UL's are light, quiet, and sexy looking. I'm not going to say it's more accurate than other barrels, since at that level the finish of barrels between manufacturers are about the same.
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Do you really need accuracy at 25bps?

I hate to spend bank on a barrel kit that will only go with one gun, unless I plan on keeping it for a REAL long time.
But if I did I would go for the Freak insert type.(I can keep the inserts if I sell the gun).
Not necessarily the Freak back and front.
I'm going to have my Lapco Bigshot bored for inserts($20 for the barrel, $20 for the boring), I already have the inserts.

[URL="http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedback/2436-el-gringos-feedback.html"]EL Gringo's Feedback
El Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was recently looking into stripping and re-anoing as well. Anodizing affects a very thin surface layer and makes it a little thicker when it's done. BUt when you stip it away it removes about one thou of material. Maybe less on a shiny part like the inside of a barrel. When you re-ano it it grows again but not by as much. SO overall it sounds like your barrel's bore may get about one to 1.5 thou larger from re-anoing.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Thanks for the advice. It's not so much the thickness I'm concerned about. Usually, the bore is honed to a 'mirror-finish' on quality barrels, and I'm afraid that anodizing will disrupt the finish. Any merit to my fear?

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to DCB

A good anodizer can plug the ends and ano away without affecting the inside bore.
If you like the Dye, try a CP...

Peace
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Yes, like DCB said, the internal bore can be masked and not even touched during the process.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I have a CP 2-piece right now, but only one front and back. Do you know where to get a full kit for a decent price?

I like the feel of the ultralite better, so I'm going to try and find some separate pieces of an ultralite kit on eBay or PBN. Thanks!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

What about White Wolf's one-piece barrel that takes Freak inserts? I bet he can get/make you one un-anodized. They're very quiet and much better made than the freak barrels themselves.

http://www.whitewolfairsmithing.com/barrels.htm
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts