mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Big bores, small paint: how to compensate? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/8208-big-bores-small-paint-how-compensate.html)

TrracerAce 12-22-2006 01:38 AM

Big bores, small paint: how to compensate?

Just a problem I'm having with pump play, rollout's been bothering me pretty consistently now that I don't have heat and humidity to swell my paint for me.

I've heard the nail polish remedy, and I've heard the one about the little piece of electric tape over the lip of the barrel. Any other remedies to be shared with the world?

Altec 12-22-2006 01:56 AM

Theres always Wedgits installed by Palmer.

I like the tape myself, but if your shooting a closed bolt marker, it wouldn't be bad idea to look into a kit, Wedgits, or maybe get the barrel bored out for freak inserts?

Tugboater203 12-22-2006 03:16 AM

If you're using something with a removeable barrel the cheapest old school trick is the nail polish one. You can try sized adapters for your particular marker as well.

Keep the barrel pointed up ;)

Have you considered installing detents?

Good luck

Tug

Cunha 12-22-2006 05:22 AM

What about people with grey spirits :(

Il use a ball peen hammer and make my own wedgits through the thick, thick aluminum haha.

Its all worth it though.

TrracerAce 12-22-2006 12:43 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking of those of us with around-the-barrel type pump handles and closed bolts. Freak kits aren't likely to happen. And I do keep the barrel pointed up, thank you very much. :D

Guess I'll buy more tape. :llamaride:

frederic 12-22-2006 02:11 PM

Detents don't help in closed bolt (ie: pumps) with roll outs, just double feeds.

Unibodied guns makes things difficult. I just don't cock the gun until I'm done running and keep the barrel up once I've stopped.

Depending on how the ball is loaded into the breach or into the barrel, there's always the CCI/Phantom detent rings as a cheap solution for removable barrel systems.

Lrrpie-CT 12-22-2006 04:48 PM

With a fixed barrel gun you could do the nail polish trick if you're very careful. I haven't tried it but have been thinking about giving it a shot.

sparky 12-22-2006 04:56 PM

Nail polish worked wonders on my sheridians/palmers/cocker barrels. I'm suprised how long it last too; my pink nail polish lasted the whole season of regular use. Works good for marking your 10 round tubes too.

Just beware of leaving it around; I got some werid looks when I was using it in front my parents....

PumpMan 12-22-2006 05:19 PM

What exactly do you do with the nail polish?

PJ 12-22-2006 05:48 PM

You put a small dab of it inside your gun just in front of where the ball sits when the gun is ready to fire. If the dab doesn't stop the rollouts, then add just a little more. Or just find larger paint. ;)