mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Splatmaster: Increasing Velocity; Double Feed.

I just purchased a very old, beat-up splatmaster. I enjoy tinkering with markers, so I took the entire thing apart (not as hard as I thought it would be), cleaned out the mud that was caked up inside of it, and put it together again.

I was able to fix a problem with the 12 gram not loading in the handle correctly, but now I have two problems:

1) my velocities are around 150-190FPS with only the first or second shot above 200FPS. Could this be a) the drive spring being 20 years old b) the temperature being 40-50F, causing the CO2 pressure to be too low, or c) a and b?

Is the CO2 pressure from a 12 gram affected by air temperature the way CA is? Does anyone have suggestions for obtaining a new, stiffer spring? I tried a couple of hobby stores and home depot, but no dice so far.

2) The ball-bearing detent fails occassionally, leading to a double feed and both paintballs exploding in the barrel when the next shot is fired. Not sure what to do about this problem. Perhaps I put the ball bearing in wrong?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Yes, 12 grams are affected the same way as CA. If you use them closer to 80 degrees you'll have better fps. Still will probably want a new mainspring, try posting in the wtb section.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I found a new main spring at Canadian Tire. You could also try a double spring trick where you buy a spring that has a similar width and one with a smaller width and put the smaller width one in the thicker one. You could also try putting washers behind your old main spring.

As for the detente, maybe you can find a metal ball bearing that would be a similar size that would work?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for the replies.

That's interesting about the weather affecting the 12gram's output pressure... for some reason, I thought it wouldn't have much effect because the volume is so low.

I guess I will try the double spring trick or perhaps visit an auto-parts store.

I took the marker apart... the receiver is stripped for the first 3 threads. The last 4 or 5 threads look fine, though. The plug has an larger knob that prevent it from screwing in all the way. If I had a stock knob, I could probably screw it in farther and catch the intact threads more reliably.

The plastic ball bearing is so worn that it is flat on one side. I guess I'll be shopping for ball bearings and springs this x-mas.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

what size is the detent bearing?

do you have a caliper to measure it?

you can find the spring you need here. http://www.katyspring.com/
Old 12-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

You could try a phantom 12 gram piercing seal around the splatmaster piercing pin for a better seal with the 12 grams.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Its the temperature. If anything, temperature has more sway on a 12 gram because it is smaller and it can swing from one extreme to the other easier.

To solve velocity a stronger main spring will probably do the trick..maybe a lighter valve spring.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've taken apart and put together my pro/carbine's CVX valve. So, I'm not afraid of modding valves. The splatmaster's valve looks like its a matter of screwing off the face of it. If I were to clip the valve spring, would that increase the volume of air released with each strike?

Using the barrel as the hammer... what a crazy design. It would interesting if someone could interview the designer(s) of the splatmaster and find out what they were thinking?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
You could also try a double spring trick where you buy a spring that has a similar width and one with a smaller width and put the smaller width one in the thicker one.
I had ~70F weather today (this is Texas in the winter) and I had just bought a spring kit at Lowes. So, I tried the double-spring trick out today to see if I could improve velocity.

No improvement. Actually, the FPS was significantly lower, never going higher than 150.

I guess the valve must have something wrong with it? It's the only thing I haven't mucked with.

Looks like I have a barely functional antique. I was hoping to hunt for electros with it... oh well.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts