mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

Tap and drill size question

Recently, I bought myself one of these ASP PTP micromag body knockoffs and working towards making it a useable marker. Only thing really wrong with it is the total lack of detent, not even drilled/milled for one. So what I would like to do is drill a hole, tap it, and use a standard 'cocker ball detent on it. What drill bit size do I need to use? What tap size (and type of tap) do I need to use?

Thanks all!

Oh, this is gonna be sweet: Classic valve w/an RT on/off, Benchmade double frame, and a SM-1 barrel kit on the front. *evil grin*

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback

Last edited by usagi_tetsu; 12-28-2006 at 12:01 PM. Reason: didn't like the wording
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

The threading on standard cocker detents is 3/8-NF (24 tpi) if I recall. The tap drill for that thread is a "Q" bit (0.3320").
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sweet! I'm taking it over to a friend's Monday, will try and post some pics when it's all together.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just grabbed one, myself. This's both gonna pop my 'mag cherry *and* be a good project turning into a Pneumag. Or a ULT'd RT, if I can manage that cheaper.

Yes, Phantom's right. And it was mentioned to me before (by a relatively established airsmith via the Guild) that the centerpoint of the detent should be a quarter inch forward from the centerline of the feed.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Who else bought one of those knockoffs? I did, Now I need a valve..... and a grip....and time to finnish it.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I got mine at the discount without the ASA, since I'd likely remachine it anyway--I like the 15* angle on my 'fast' guns.

I bought mine with full knowledge that it won't be done for a good long while. I love having a project to work on, even if I never can get my head to shut up.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I test fit everything tonight after I hunted up screws for it.

BTW, it's a metric M3, 8mm for the feedneck, took me about 10 minutes of banging my head up against the Standard boxes at the local Ace hardware before the little light went "ding" over my head and I remembered metric sizes. Everything else is paintball standard: 10-32.

Anyway, after the trip to the store, I gleefully tore into one of my other 'mags for parts and made sure things fit (the sear axle pin looks like it's going to fall out the way the hole is drilled, but no amount of shaking could get it out once I put the frame on it), and ye gods, this is going to be the spiffiest marker I take to the field this year. Though only because none of my Tribals will be ready for a while, and doubt I'll be done w/my 'cocker project, either. *feh* Too many projects, too little time and $$$.

Now to get the ordered parts in from AGD and to get over to my friend's house so I can use his drill press, drill bits, and collection of taps. 1/4" forward of the centerline on the feed? Roger, give that one a try, thanks for the info!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay true believers, update on the project: got over to my friend's place, who while not an airsmith, still has all the fun toys to do basic machining projects. 'Cocker threaded detentes are indeed 3/8 NF 24 TPI threaded... but the stock detentes are not deep enough to pass through all the metal on these PTP bodies.

*sigh* So here I have a beautiful PTP Micromag body knockoff with a beautifully drilled and tapped hole that easily accepts a 'cocker stock detente, and it's easily 1/4" too shallow just for the detente ball to get into the chamber much less the necessary protusion into said chamber to keep the paintballs in line. Anyone know of a deeper 'cocker detente or one that's like all thread? Any possibility of modifying one to be all thread?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

you could countersink a pocket where the detent screws in. make sure to make it wide enough to accomodate the socket for the detent. in fact, if your friend has a basic mill/drill and lathe setup, you could even slot the top of the detent for a screwdriver, and then use the lathe to round the hex of the detent off. it might work out to be flush with the gun body if you do it right. that would be pretty uber-cool.

--J
joelrf600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Havocx

and if you tight fit the detent to the recess it would look less like a goiter on the side of the marker.
Havocx is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts