mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Send a message via AIM to Rap4paintball

Fan of EMR
68 special recock issue and SL-68II question

I finally got a hold of a siphon tank, to run my 68-special, as it would not run on gasous CO2. I am running a 12oz. weighted siphon tank, but she is have recocking problems. It will fire 2-5 shots then go into short bursts. the gun seems to be fully cycling, but the sear doesnt seem to be catching. could this just be the sear/bolt, or not enough liquid, or something else?

Also on my SL-68 II, what is the hole in the bottom of the grip for? Its a drilled and counter sunk hole. Any specific reason that its there? Thanks in advance.

My Feedback
Rap4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

it could be a worn out sear or it may be a bad o-ring on the hammer.

i'm not sure about the sl. doesn't sound like a factory hole to me. i may be wrong though.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hired Goon

[shamless plug]

If you need a new set of orings I have kits available at my web site.

[/shameless plug]

I've had people email me and say that before they installed the new orings their 68 Special would only run on liquid then afterwords it would run on gas. Your milage my vary though.
Chris Mader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Is this the one I sold you a while back? Hmmmm idin't do that for me. I don't think I replaced the hammer o-ring, maybe it has swollen since then. Did you try a little oil on it? If its not that o-ring, then the sear is probably worn down.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
Let that be a lesson to all you criminal types. Don't steal old and unique paintball gear. We are the market and we will find you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
he doesn't manage a business, and he should have planned it out better or had some experience in what he was doing before taking pre-orders. the worst part is simply that he took the money and did not refund it... which is fraud.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Fan of EMR
I'll look into that, thanks. I just snapped the bolt about 20 minutes ago. She was firing nicely, then the modified bolt (cut to fit an anti-chop sleave) snapped. Pulled the sleeve, installed a brand new bolt, but a brand new power tube in, then bam. She fired but sounded like it was out of air (which is totally possible) but had been firing great about 5 minutes before. then without the sleeve it was chop city. Does anyone know a source of modified bolts that fit in the brass sleeves, or do I have to make them myself?

Edit: Yes shes your old one. I've had it all this time and she only got to see the field yesterday.

My Feedback
Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

On a related note: what's a good source for siphon tanks (I have a 68 Special as well, and would like to play with her at least once) or what parts do I need to make one of my own?

Thanks!

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

usagi-I bookmarked this about a year ago when I asked a similar question.
http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/siphon.html

Make your own if you can they're much cheaper. Don't use Brass Eagle valves though they can't be modified on the tank side. The fitting is pressed in rather than threaded.
Good Luck
Tug

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
On a related note: what's a good source for siphon tanks (I have a 68 Special as well, and would like to play with her at least once) or what parts do I need to make one of my own?

Thanks!
Start with a catalina tank. Don't use BE, cause they're new tank valve are press fit, and don't us PE, as their new valves don't use 1/8"npt plugs.
Other parts you'll need are 2x 1/8"npt tp 1/8compression fittings, some heat shrink tubing and some 1/8" teflon tubing(macroline also works). Cut the tubing to length and install compression fittings on both ends. Take the valve out of the tank, and remove the plug. screw one of the compression fittings in where the plug was. The compression fitting on the other end of the tube is for weight. Cover this one one with some heat shrink tubing( this will quiet the dinging and protect the inside of the tank). Have the valve re-installed and your good to go.

Doc's has a more in depth article as well as pics:

http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/siphon.html

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
Let that be a lesson to all you criminal types. Don't steal old and unique paintball gear. We are the market and we will find you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
he doesn't manage a business, and he should have planned it out better or had some experience in what he was doing before taking pre-orders. the worst part is simply that he took the money and did not refund it... which is fraud.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Fan of EMR
I got the siphon tube with the 68 special when I got it off Chappy. I used a pure energy 12 oz. tank, the valve off of an out dated Parker tank, a really big strap wrench, two 1/8 compression fittings and 1/8" flexible plastic tube. I installed it like the diagram of the weighted flat bottom aluminum tank on the link tug provided (I wish I had that link when I did mine, and its true about the brass eagle tanks. pressed on fitting.). Then I applied a small amount of low grade loc tight (the pink stuff). If you do this yourself, make sure you do it correctly. And just to be safe, make sure you always use that tank, and always check the valve when you unscrew the tank from the gun.

Edit: You beat me to the punch. Chappy makes a good point, the shrink wrap helps, as I now have to take mine apart to put the shrink wrap on my weight.

My Feedback

Last edited by Rap4paintball; 12-31-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

Awesome, a barrage of advice, thanks and Happy New Year!!

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts