mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Filling a 45/3000 tank from 80 cf SCUBA Tank

For those that scuba dive I have a question. If I take my octopus set up and remove the primary reg. from the HP port and install a 26" HP hose with a QD into the 7/16" port then is that that all I would need to set up a fill station to fill my HP tank. I already have the pressure gauge which goes up to 4000 although I would never fill my 80 cubic foot SCUBA tank past 3000. Just wondering how many decent fills I'll get on a 45/3000 tank?

Thanks

Rockin' and Cockin' a Nelspot since 1984!

"What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength of your body, the desire in your heart. All the power of both steel and flesh come from one's beliefs." - Thulsa Doom

Imitation on a wide scale is the true form of evolution and compliment
TouchofGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Just get one of these fill stations and you are good to go fill you tanks.

SCUBA fill station:

http://cgi.ebay.com/N2-Scuba-Fill-St...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a SCUBA fill calculator:

http://www.scubatoys.com/paintball/scubafills2.asp
Old 12-31-2006, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Your regs and auxilliary hoses go into the LP ports. The only HP port on any first stage (or at least the older ones I'm used to) goes to the guage. The guage uses a special 5000 or 6000 psi rated hose while the second stages and other aux hoses are something like 500 or 1000 psi tested and cannot be used for the HP applications.

If you have a second HP port for allowing flexibilbity in how you place your hoses then I suppose you could get a 6000psi rated hose and hook up a quick connect. But be sure your QD is rated for the full tank pressure and not one of the ones meant for remote lines that only need to run at 850'ish. Or if they are the same then fine.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Your regs and auxilliary hoses go into the LP ports. The only HP port on any first stage (or at least the older ones I'm used to) goes to the guage. The guage uses a special 5000 or 6000 psi rated hose while the second stages and other aux hoses are something like 500 or 1000 psi tested and cannot be used for the HP applications.

If you have a second HP port for allowing flexibilbity in how you place your hoses then I suppose you could get a 6000psi rated hose and hook up a quick connect. But be sure your QD is rated for the full tank pressure and not one of the ones meant for remote lines that only need to run at 850'ish. Or if they are the same then fine.
I would agree, your first stage probably reduces the pressure to about 140 psi (your IP) which is then further reduced by your second stage. You would need to connect to a HP port like the pressure gauge port to fill up to 3000 psi.

Much better to spend the $40 (shipped) and get a basic fill kit. Then you can reduce the wear on the seals in that regulator that you depend on when you're 80 feet down .

I don't know how many fills but I can tell you it is worth it. I've filled my 13/3000 tanks all year off 2 scuba tanks, and I'm still filling to 2700 psi.

Although one of those tanks is a steel 100 filled to 3100psi (rated to 3442psi).
Phantom Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

On a related note I'm currently looking around for a cheap paintball reg and then I'm going to make up a yoke much like the fill adapters for it so I can use my scuba tanks as a source of testing air for chronoing and general goofing around. A remote line system will put it all together nicely.

It'll sure be a lot better than running back and forth for CO2. Of course I could always just get a filler I suppose. It's just that I always feel a bit iffy spinning those tanks into place with only one hand.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Mikey View Post
I would agree, your first stage probably reduces the pressure to about 140 psi (your IP) which is then further reduced by your second stage. You would need to connect to a HP port like the pressure gauge port to fill up to 3000 psi.

Much better to spend the $40 (shipped) and get a basic fill kit. Then you can reduce the wear on the seals in that regulator that you depend on when you're 80 feet down .

I don't know how many fills but I can tell you it is worth it. I've filled my 13/3000 tanks all year off 2 scuba tanks, and I'm still filling to 2700 psi.

Although one of those tanks is a steel 100 filled to 3100psi (rated to 3442psi).
Thanks everyone. I don't think I am even going to waste my $$$ on the airfill set-up and just get my tanks filled at the local field.

Rockin' and Cockin' a Nelspot since 1984!

"What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength of your body, the desire in your heart. All the power of both steel and flesh come from one's beliefs." - Thulsa Doom

Imitation on a wide scale is the true form of evolution and compliment
TouchofGrey is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts