mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

My warning about the Dye Izon is that its mounting system is poorly designed (a few small screws). It has fallen off my phantom several times (which has included retracing my steps until I find it). A field owner helped me out by dremelling away my stock feed tube to support the mounting system better which only slows the slipping off.

The Adco apparently gathers more light, is a bit bigger, and has a standard site rail grabbing mounting system. While I should've gone for the Adco, the Izon does hold its adjustments quite well (even after being put back on my gun after falling off).
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

The quick way to check for a dominant eye is to look off into the distance and focus on something. Then stick your thumb up in front of your face at arm's length while maintaining focus on the distant mark. If your eyes are more or less equal for dominance you'll see two ghost thumbs. If your right eye is dominant the thumb will seem to be stronger on the left of the distant mark and vice versa. You need to take note of it with the first moment of putting your thumb in the way since your mind will work to even the images out quite quickly. If it doesn't then stop driving cars because you have no depth perception due to such a strong dominance.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

There is an easier way to find your dominant eye.
* Stick out your arms in front of you
* Put your hands on top of each other
* Form a triangle with your thumbs (not to big)
* KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN !!!
* Look through this triangel to something on the wall (again not to big, wallsocket or something small on a picture)
* Now move your hands towards your face but keep the sightpicture the same!
* You will end up at your left or your right eye, that's the dominant one.

People who are righthanded but left eye dominant will have issues using sights.
But that can be overcome with practise.

But I'm not to sure if this will work with Armson sights, because both eyes are open.
If asked Armson and they day it can be done with practise.

So anyone out there who is righthanded/left eye dominant and uses a Armson sight?

Not AGG, but ARR

Last edited by Buccaneer; 01-09-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
There is an easier way to find your dominant eye.
* Stick out your arms in front of you
* Put your hands on top of each other
* Form a triangle with your thumbs (not to big)
* Look through this triangel to something on the wall (again not to big, wallsocket or something small on a picture)
* Now move your hands towards your face but keep the sightpicture the same!
* You will end up at your left or your right eye, that's the dominant one.

People who are righthanded but left eye dominant will have issues using sights.
But that can be overcome with practise.

But I'm not to sure if this will work with Armson sights, because both eyes are open.
If asked Armson and they day it can be done with practise.

So anyone out there who is righthanded/left eye dominant and uses a Armson sight?
That doesn't work unless you have a set dominant eye that's VERY dominant. I'm sure I must have some dominance to one side or the other but when I hold up my hands and block the image I end up with two equally bright looking triangles and the object invariably "blocked" by the image inbetween. If I hold them up and then open the triangle to find the target I go about 50-50 finding it first with the right triangle to the left triangle. From there I can easily put the image on one triangle or the other and follow it in to whatever eye is related to that triangle.

But then I've known for some time that I don't really have a dominant eye to the point that it's noticable.

My ex wife had a VERY dominant eye situation. I caught her turning out in front of traffic when she really should not have been and not turning when there was lots of room. We tried the thumb deal and she could only see one thumb. Later on she was able to make herself see two with some practice but the one side was never as "solid" and the main dominant image.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

I am an archery instructor and use this trick with everyone I teach.
Useally it works just fine, up till now I never met someone like you!
Your sure you're keeping both eyes open when you do this?

Is good to know that are people out there that have this.

Not AGG, but ARR
Old 01-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Managed to track one down and used it today for the first time.
It really takes some time to get used to it!
But the first impression is very good.
Gonna try it a couple of times more and let you know what the outcome is.

Not AGG, but ARR
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I am an archery instructor and use this trick with everyone I teach.
Useally it works just fine, up till now I never met someone like you!
Your sure you're keeping both eyes open when you do this?

Is good to know that are people out there that have this.
Yep, I'm always keen to try out stuff like this so I THINK I gave it a fair try. I did it both the ways I mentioned about 8 or 10 times each and it worked the same each time.

The only "tendency" was if I looked at the wall switch down the hall and brought the "mask" up I tended to pick the right eye's opening more often than the left eye's for the first finding of the switch. But each time both aperatures were easily seen. It may well have been the way I was twisted in the chair that caused the favouritism since holding the hands up and then opening the aperature would invariably leave me with the switch sitting "behind" the part between the double vision holes.

To give you an idea of how non dominant my vision is I'm keen on trying my new method of aiming during play. It involves bringing up the gun's back block to sit more or less right in front of my nose with my eyes looking down either side of the barrel. When focused on a distant point I see it sitting between two barrel images. It SEEMS to be fairly easy to adjust the gun's position to make it so the two barrel images are close to identical and to put the target between the two rounded ends of those images. The slick thing is that both eyes are open and I don't loose any periperal vision because the gun body isn't blocking anything. But if I had a strongly dominant eye this wouldn't work for a second.

As soon as I can get over the darn cough and cold I got right at New Years I'm planning on setting up a mini range in the shop and shoot some reballs for both chrono testing some markers as well as working on my aiming and snap shooting. I'm going to get some of those little 6 inch stuffed animals to use as targets.... SMURFS with any luck.... hate those smurfs.....

PS: I used to be pretty good at those weird mod art 3D image things too. It took a lot of eyeball screwing to get it to come in but once I started to see even a hint of an image it would pop into focus with very little extra effort.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Edit original post.
Forgot to say to keep both eyes open when using "my method"........

Not AGG, but ARR

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts