mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sight question

I am looking to add a new sight on my marker, I have used a Adco Sure Shot and that's ok, but I want to try something else.
I'm interested in a occluded sight, so a Dye Izon or a Armson.
Any tips, pro/cons or reviews?

Not AGG, but ARR
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i use both the dye and the armson. like the armson better. more rugged and you can find the dot faster. we sell both at the shop. i have a few colors in stock. pm me if you need one. thanks, jason.
striker4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Have you every used one before? Just asking because in my case... I'm pretty heavily near sighted in one eye (something like 20/200), and less so on the other (20/60). When I tried playing w/ other friends' Armsons I could never get the dot to appear natural on the target for me. At a paintball target range where my eyes had moments to adjust it was no prob. but for snap shooting and such I just never got comfortable w/ it.

I have firearms that use Trijicon ADCO sights so I'm not adverse to tube sights. I guess I just have a hard time superimposing the dot on the target w/ occluded sights.

Most of my paintguns have some type of rear blade and front post. Basically handgun sights like a set from Millet and such. I find those the most comfortable for me. Considering that IMO most paintball shooting is done within what I would consider "pistol range" (say 30-40 yards maximum and usually much closer), handgun sights are what I like to use.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

same for me too Shiba. i can't use those Armson sights. i have a lazy eye and those sights just don't work for me.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6quad View Post
same for me too Shiba. i can't use those Armson sights. i have a lazy eye and those sights just don't work for me.
I can feel my eyes fighting for dominance. I don't know if that makes any sense?

It's almost like looking at those crazy pixelated posters that were all the rage maybe 10 years ago. Kinda like you see a sunset, but of you unfocus your vision you can see dolphins jumping over waves and what not.

I know people who love them and shoot great with them. I'm just cautionary in the idea that somebody new to an occluded sight maybe should borrow one from a friend or something like that if they've had none/minor experience with those types of sights.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Wow, you guys too huh? I have my on and off days with my Armson sight. It works, I know it does, but sometimes I seem to go crosseyed when using it. Those big 30mm dot sights make things much simpler.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've been seeing some stuff about ghost ring sights recently. Has anyone used those and has some thoughts?

I take it that the nice thing about the occluded red dots is that you can set them up behind the feedneck and they still work just fine provided you don't have whonky eyes?
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

That's pretty much the idea, yes. No fussing with line of sight, and no batteries.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks fot the advise!
It is indeed a very good idea to try before I buy............but here in the Netherlands there is no one I know who has one.

They don't even sell them over here..........

But I like the idea behind it and no batteries are a big plus for me.
Also I like small set up's, I tried a 30mm red dot on my Phantom and I didn't like the look.
I know, form over function and all that.....but still...........

Luckely are my eyes in good working order, so that might help.

I was thinking, for the people that have problems with it, do you know which of your eyes is the dominant one?
If your left eye is the dominant one and you try looking 'through' it with your right eye, that may cause problems........I am not sure about this.........just came to me.
Maybe I must try to contact the people at Armson about this.

Not AGG, but ARR
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I have two Armson's, one on my Sniper II and the other on my Automag, and I have no trouble using them. I wear contacts and although it took some getting used to, it really isn't a problem for me.

The biggest issue I have with the sight is the very nature of the design - you must use both eyes. This is good and bad. Yes, it forces you to keep both eyes open for faster sighting (which you can do with any red dot sight, by the way) but it makes it difficult when peeking from one side of a tree if you don't want to expose yourself fully. In order to sight properly, you must see the target with both eyes and therein lies the problem for me.

All in all, they are excellent sights. They are very durable and I was drawn to them initially because of their low profile and no need for batteries. I don't regret buying them, even with the above noted limitation.

I think it is a good idea to use one if at all possible. If not, buy one and if you don't like it, I am sure you can sell it to someone who does.

Justin

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts