mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Why not a powertube that is adjustable via a set screw, much like a tippman?
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Why not a powertube that is adjustable via a set screw, much like a tippman?
Great idea!!!
Visit my new group page at http://www.facebook.com/JonesGunWorks#!/JonesGunWorks
http://www.youtube.com/user/Legion99999?feature=mhee
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

The honest truth, the nelson only needs a few Improvments. Lets face it,everypaint gun jumps and drops FPS. I use HPA on my nelson based guns too. However I wouldn't over kill it. I would actually try and Use whats on the opend market too. First thing after you make it,people are going to ask for undercocking. Well just make a frame adapter right off the bat that will accept it. The Vendetta pump has alot of meat on the sides that can be milled for arms. Then you just screw the pump guide into the front frame adapter. I have and older style wrap around sniper pump that you can use for measurements for those who like wrap around. Undercocking takes alot away. Then for under cocking pump,it just adds to machining and more cost. Look at the phantom,thats a prime example. As for the feed system I would recommend what's in the pictures. Basically if you really look at it,90% of the marker is out there ready made. You just make the body and rear ASA. Also you can use the front pump adaptor like a blazer style ASA. Just side tap it and use the pump guid rod to hold it in place when using under cocking. When not using under cocking it just there already a one piece or seperate piece held in by a bolt. Cocker threaded barrels are great to use,see how they are the most common. This will allow many people to use there freak kits and other type sizer barrels. So you have also eliminated a barrel problem. Man your almost there lol. I really hope you make this,cause I would like to be a BETA tester for it.
Later,
Blackrain
CF

Universal L/R feed

SC feed something like this.
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Low pressure in the power tube is as easy as making the valve saddle and cupseal larger so that it ends up with the same resistance.

I'm not really sure why we'd need a low pressure Nelson though. First off you'd be adding the complexity and cost of a regulator to regulate down the CO2 or HPA. Secondly the air needle, hammer and bolt bores would need to be larger to flow the required volume at pressure through to push the ball fast enough. And finally if you were to check I think you'll find that the paintball isn't seeing anywhere near the pressure spike you think since the gas has a lot of area to expand into as it passes down the needle and into the bolts extension tube.

I suspect there's a lot more barrel breaks on our Nelsons currently are from half fed balls being chopped than from the CO2 shattering them.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

With a larger cupseal and powertube diameter, would it be possible to spring the valve that much harder? The only issue Nelsons have with LP is that the pump action opens the valve when it is operating even in mid-range pressures. In the Autococker platform, a larger valve face (like the AKA valve) helps to seal at lower pressures, but it doesn't have the force of the pump action coming back on it.

Well, if nobody wants to make a LP Nelson, I'll just have to use my uh...raincover.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

A cocker threaded body with undercocking to allow any barrel. I would also use dual guide rods, to eliminate any twisting action, and symetrical would look better. A body that could easily convert from SC to center feed and still look decent, maybe sometype of rail system (not a big fan of the angel threaded SC feeds I've seen so far). I don't see how you could have center feed and left/right feed on the same body, unless you had some type of rotating breech. Running the airline on a vert air through the body would be cool, maybe another option to run it to a bottomline.

Low pressure is over rated. I mean sure, having the option is fine. But most Nelson users appreciate not needing a reg and being able to run unregged CO2 and get good performance.

AKA Snuggles Smith

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5149
Do Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Lp won't work with just a large power tube you will need larger valve t go with it. The bolt and hammer will have to be redesigned too in brass or tungsten to compensate for the large loss of mass due to larger power tube. A Nelson valve is designed to work efficiently at high pressure no dreaming is going to change this. It has been attempted and has failed miserably several times with several different smiths.

If you are going to improve a gun start with the big efficiency robber friction of the bolt, hammer, power tube and valve seat. Make matched sets of power tubes and valve seats with a low mass cup seal. Dump the restrictive TPC's or diffusers as paint is no longer brittle.

Power tube should be high nickle content stainless or 6/4 Ti. Now the porting should be like a Carter and the dimensions of a Lapco #6. Valve seat should be brass as it is a free friction material against the stainless or Ti. ( better flow means better efficiency)

Precision cut and hardened sears would be another good project. A2, D2, or Sv330.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
A good snappy trigger.. good thinking B!

In this day of e-triggers, that is very often overlooked. i like a good slide trigger myself.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by respiegel View Post
why would you want a double trigger on a pump?
Helped me quite a bit on my Sniper when I had a game 3 days after breaking my trigger finger

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i would want mine sorta unibody(if thats the word) that ecepts freak inserts and tips, plus undrcocking, a phantom style sc feed, and a 12 gram changer
cockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts