mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Stick with acad... if a slobbering simpleton like me can use it, then you should be able to pick it up just fine

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've used TurboCAD, myself. Cheap (like, $30 or so) from Staples, easy to use, and it does support 3D. It always argues with me when I try to use the 3D, but it *supports* it. :P
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Illusion owner

Send a message via AIM to sunfisher89 Send a message via Yahoo to sunfisher89

I absolutely love ProE. It's only like $300 too. Link to sight where to buy it located below.

http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?ItmNo=60014903N
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

When do you need it ?

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
That reminds me I have to take Cam this summer not sure if they are using ACad with Cam or if they have changed to MasterCam yet. Should be fun or at least a hell ofalot better then GCode!

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've been through countless CAD discussions in connection with my other hobby of designing and flying model airplanes and the same things come up time and again.

If you need to actually pay for it out of your own pocket it then by far your one and only cost effective choice is TurboCAD. The 3D abilities have been greatly enhanced from ver 9 and on up. THey are up to 12.0 or 12.2 now and copies of 10 and 11 are easily had for about $30 or even less.

Everyone says get Solidworks or AutoCAD or some of the others but these are folks that obviously don't need to pay for them. Sure these are nice programs but they are priced for industry budgets. TurboCAD can do just as well at most of the tasks but comes with a hobby friendly price tag.

The only other CAD in this hobby category that I've heard of is IntelliCAD but it's not a commonly found one and last I heard the cost was around the $200 mark so it's still a lot more than a non current version of TurboCAD.

But EASY to use? Sorry, that doesn't come with any of the programs. There is a nice 3D tutorial on a two CD package that I've been meaning to get but so far I've managed OK with 2D for my model needs.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have used AutoCAD, Solidworks, and Mechanical Desktop; and Solidworks is my favorite by far. I love the ablility to build the parts, assemble them, show operations, and make engineering drawings all with one program. The 2004 version I have comes with an internet tutorial, which is very easy to use and good for learning the basic ideas and principles of the program.

You might also want to check out the bookstore of a local university/college. I know that the bookstore at my college offers "student versions" of the software for greatly reduced prices. Still not the cheapest, but it is a company-backed, bug free version. The only differences that I have noticed between the student versions and full versions is that the student versions have the phrase "Student Copy" or "Student Version" printed in bold on anything that you print and attached to any files. It's not removable, but shouldn't be a huge deal if you are just using it for personal use and non-buisness related things.
wespe is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts