mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
AKA Solenoid blown, tips to fix?

I recently bought 2 Vikings and I took my '03 Viking out to the field this last week to play with. Lo and behold, when I got to the firing range and went to chrono, it was shooting pretty hot. I thought the sidewinder was reasonably adjusted, but to make a long story short, after a few shots, I heard a gush of air (and felt it) through the grip frame. I backed out the on/off screw and took it aside. To make another long story short, I found out what's wrong I'm just not sure how to fix it.

Air is leaking from the head of the solenoid. I've included a few pictures to reference, but I'm not sure how to fix it, or even what is specifically wrong with it. I guess you could call this 'blowing the noid' but I would hope there is some sort of repair that Humphrey or even DC could do. The noid still cycles and in fact, it still fired paintballs even while venting air. It vents pretty profusely, but not completely (like a blown macro line would).

Nothing really seems damaged, I'm just unsure of how the air flows and what would have 'failed' in the solenoid to cause it to vent. Please let me know if you know how to fix this or if there are any good resources to find the source/fix of the problem. Here are the pictures:

Position of solenoid in the body, it's leaking from the part of the solenoid closest to you in the picture (rear-most of the body):

Solenoid model, it's the Humphrey H040-4E1-49W, I read in a few other threads that this is a specially contracted design with AKA, as they cycle much quicker than the stock H040 or H041 series (limited to 5 cycles per second):

This is the part where the air leaks from, underneath the cap with the two philips screws. I took the grip frame off of the gun and ever so slightly turned the on/off valve in so that it gently bled air and I can feel/hear it when I place my hand over that part of the cap, so that's my best guess:

Here's a photo of the cap removed. The little mini o-ring on the left side of the cap is intact. The opaque piece in the center with the plus sign pattern in it moves in and out slightly, I have no idea what it does though. There's also a metal ring on the body of the solenoid:

Here's the metal ring removed. Underneath there is a soft o-ring with a metal piece in the center:

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Call your local AKA tech. They'll have replacements and it might not cost you a dime other than shipping.
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Local AKA Tech? I wish I knew! The only person I know of who's an authorized AKA Tech is Jared from DC Customs. I've contacted him as well, I just thought folks on the forums would have some advice too. No harm in trying, thanks for the suggestion.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 01-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

When my stock board died in '03, AKA replaced it with a WAS for no charge. Then again, I was the original owner so the warrantee was not voided or other.

Jared has tuned up my gun when he put in the eyes and magnetic trigger.

It was just a thought since I haven't a clue how to fix a solenoid despite knowing how they work.
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Actually, Unonad on PBNation responded and I got the answer quickly, here's the copied text from my reply over there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 on PBNation
You were correct Unonad! Thanks for the tip. Here's the picture of what I did. Pulled the piston out, found that one o-ring looked out of place:

I carefully moved it over one of the aluminum channels and voila! It airs up and holds pressure just fine now! Can't wait to get out and try it again now, this time it should work great!

Jason

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 01-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

that may have just helped me fix a noid... gudda check though
merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc View Post
that may have just helped me fix a noid... gudda check though
What the hell is a "gudda." Let's use good American English... shall we?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Awesome! glad someone came through for you. Your learning about the entire AKA community with those 2 guns.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Gudda= Cheese I think :P

I didn't know how these solenoids work the air either, and those pictures are a good reference. It's good that you found someone so helpful on PBN too.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Yes, the AKA forum over there on PBN reminds me slightly of the folks here, good-natured, helpful, and at surprisingly somewhat mature!

You still get the 'agg-tastic' attitudes in minor form and fashion, but it's one of the only sections I can handle over there! And yes, the folks were very helpful. I'm glad the pics and questions helped some of you too, good luck with all of your AKA projects!

And gouda is cheese, very tasty I'll add!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts