mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Dye Boomstick questions

I'm thinking of buying some Dye Stainless Boomsticks(or maybe TI if I can find them) for my Excal and cocker. I have a Redz kit now, but they're so light it makes the gun back heavy. How is the weight with the Boomsticks compared to the super light barrels made these days? I had a SS Lapco Bigshot, but it was just to heavy, and I figured the Boomstick mix of SS and Al would be perfect.

Also, what bore sizes do they come in? I see the standard .688 a lot, but not to many of the other sizes.

AKA Snuggles Smith

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5149
Do Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Older glued Boomers came in: .684, .686, .688 (standard), .690, .692, and .694 (.684 and .694 are relatively rare)

Modern threaded 2 piece Boomers come in: .684, .688 (standard), .692.

If you come across any modern dye barrel that does not have the bore marked, it is .688.

--BK
b to the a to the k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

As far as I know the glued and 2 piece Boomers are pretty much the same (except maybe some milling), right?

AKA Snuggles Smith

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5149
Do Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Not necessarily. I prefer the older glued barrels to just about any other kit out there today. Some folks have claimed that the newer 2-piece ones weren't made with as much 'precision' as the older ones, but that is certainly a point of debate, one which I share no opinion on!

Like I said, I just like the glued ones better, even though you can't rip them apart to anodize the tip. There's just something about them that I love, and they shoot wonderfully.

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cheffer

as far as weight, they are significantly heavier than an all AL barrel. I had a cocker glued boomy, and a cocker two piece UL (all aluminum) of the same length, and you can really feel the heft of the boomstick.

One really great thing about glued boomsticks, you can get them really cheap. They usually go for $30-$35, when just a UL tip goes for about that (in fact I bought the boomie for cheap, planning on selling the tip for profit, only to find the seller was a moron and the tip was glued in)
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts