mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Discounts if I work at a shop?

I currently work for a large outdoor retailer. I make great money, love my job, and have killer discounts (usually cheaper than wholesale, sometimes up to 50% off wholesale. 30% off retail price if I don't go directly through the vendor). Anyways, I was looking at cutting back my hours to work at a local pb shop. The pay would be lower, but what's the average discount like? I love buying stuff, and the endless stream of parts and upgrades would be awesome. Any basic idea of what to expect?

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

More than likely it'll work out in your favour to work more hours at the high paying job and use that money to buy the paintball gear at retail price. Staff discounts are usually Cost + 10% or something like that, and the markup on paintball gear is really quite low compared to other industries.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Discounts

Talk the shop that you currently work for into starting up a paintball section. It would not take much for a large retailer to set up an account with a paintball distributor.
couch11998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

But then again, to get any kind of deal from the factory, you generally have to buy in bulk.

I prefer to work a lower paying job that I enjoy over a high paying job that I'm bored with. If it gives me discounts on paintball equipment, then hey...that's a bonus. One area where you might find a good discount is in paint prices. Then again, most fields are FPO these days.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

From my experience, paintball shops profit margins are thin, unless there a big shop.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just wondering... what do you folks consider low margin rates? 30% or so?

In the past I've worked part time for a P-ball retail/distributor. I can vaguely recall the employee discounts being in the 20% off of retail range. I think the biggest perk was getting free entry at local paintball fields by showing my business card. Also being in the industry got me into SHOT shows, which was very cool too.

It kinda reminds me of people who marshall at golf courses for free rounds of golf and clubhouse discounts.

As far as fulltime employment goes... I'd rather work at a higher paying job w/ a clear path towards the future, then a lower one just because it's in a hobby I'm really into at the moment. My recreational tastes could/do change, so I'd rather use the larger wages to finance ALL my hobbies. Just my POV, I'm sure others will have different ones.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

In my experience, it doesn't matter how much you get paid in a job that you don't enjoy, it's still going to be more of a chore than you want it to be. If you don't get a reward out of doing the actual work, getting paid 6 digits isn't going to make you happy. Even working a job you enjoy with good pay, but for a crappy boss isn't really worth it IMHO.

I for one, just can't stand working a job stuck in a cubicle or one where I am on the phone with a headset for the whole 8 hour day. I have to be up and moving around. If I get to work outside at times, all the better.
podup365.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've wrecked two hobbies by turning them into work. Hobbies are your sanctuary from reality- keep them that way.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

I help out the local field owner - Blackpowder on here - and he helps me out a ton. Great guy. In exchange for my time and my *cough* brute strength *cough* he has given me some incredible deals on paint, markers, air, and waived entry fees. Once it warms up, we will start work on the castle and de-cactusification of the field. Trenches... Nets... Tires - lots of tires.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfan View Post
I've wrecked two hobbies by turning them into work. Hobbies are your sanctuary from reality- keep them that way.
AMEN BROTHER!

I'm not guilty of it myself but I've seen far too many folks learn the hard way.

NOt that I'd be above working some spare time here and there as something like a tourney ref in return for free playing but it would be an extension of my hobby rather than as a way to pay the bills.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts