mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

'mag bolt ID.

Just got my mag in, and just trying to ID the bolt, since I'm not familiar with them yet.

Brass, 10-hole venturi style with an extended bit in the middle. No foamie--at least not attached to it. Was on an AIR valve. I can get pics later if need be, but no access to the camera at the second.

Also, are 'mags supposed to release a 'chuff' instead of most paintguns' 'pop!' when fired without paint? I'll rebuild the thing anyway (Airtool oil? Hoppes #9? Dow 55 on the spring pack OK? Manual says auto bearing, but ehhh...) but want to know it that's normal or something to fix.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think I have the same one...if so:

Quote:
The bolt is a PTP upgrade bolt that has been titanium nitrided. It's a "foamiless" foamie design, with the venturi passages surrounding a central raised core.
Quote stolen from Robertsr...he's got a pic part way down this thread.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5955
Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z50
Seasoned Member

^agreed^

My mag makes an airy click sound with a slight ring at the end that's cut off when the valve resets, kind of a cross between "chick" and "ching"

It would make sense that the gun sounds like its blowing air when you are not actually firing anything, Mags don't have any parts that slap together like blow backs, and all the old school pumps that are floating around this place.
Z50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yup, that's the one. Mine looks *exactly* like brass, though, not the usual 'offness' of TiN, but the shiny parts where it's just slightly worn at the bottom may be steel or aluminum.

So, 'collector candy,' huh? It'll be upgraded to a Lvl 10 anyway. Price check?

Also, any idea how to work out an RT effect, for the project mag? an RT on/off, I assume, perhaps some drilling in the valve, or in the body below the bolt travel to route the escaping air to a ram?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Dah. Looked down into the feed tube, and it looks like the bolt's really noit moving much. Little puff, but I stick a hex key in from the barrel end and it doesn't hit it. Blah.

Probably just lack of air. All my tanks are empty now.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Hmmm. While I'm at that, I seem to have a spring where the diagram shows a powertube spacer.

Was this normal for old AIR valves, or someone's mistake?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

Send a message via AIM to BigEvil

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Machina View Post
Hmmm. While I'm at that, I seem to have a spring where the diagram shows a powertube spacer.

Was this normal for old AIR valves, or someone's mistake?
You have an old LVL 7. They came with springs before they switched to power tube spacers. That will all be eliminated with the lvl10 kit.

Dont waste your money drilling the valve, it does NOTHING. An RT on/off will give you a little better trigger pull, but there is not enough force resetting the sear to have a real RT effect. The AIR valves fill the dump chamber with 400psi of regulated air, the RT/Retro/Emag/X valves use straight line pressure to fill it, then gets cut off. So the air pressure resetting the sear will be whatever your iinput is into the gun. The higher, the faster.

I have also has some success using a ULT in a classic valve. They can take some tinkering to make work, and are very easy to short stroke on a mech. Hensforth why AGD doenst recomend them for that valve.
BigEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Yeah, the spring is normal for old valves. It's a bronze spring that took the place of the spacer. Since it was a wear part AGD decided to stop using it (Imagine a company that does things to HELP the customer and make their product BETTER!). Your chuffing [I]may[I] be due to that spring being worn out. In any case, a L10 kit is probably your best friend at this point.

I'm not sure on the price for the ptp bolt. I would guess $10 or $15. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

Send a message via AIM to BigEvil

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PBN Fan
If you are looking for a non-foamy lvl7 bolt I think I have a spare laying around somewhere. Hit me up via PM.

The PTP or any aftermarket bolts were pretty much useless and nothing more than feel-good solutions to imaginary issues. I sent my mag back to agd once years ago with an ANS bolt on it and they yelled at me. (Nicely of course). I got an education about how much more quickly the aftermarket stuff wears than stock, and how much more irradic over the chrono it was (And chrono print outs to prove it)

AGD, man I wish the were still in business

/sarcasm
BigEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks, guys. The bolt certainly feels like a nice little piece, but I'd prefer stuff stock.

Surprised to see anything TiN coated. Nobody thinks to take care of stuff like that now.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts