mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Pin in anti-siphon CO2 bottle pin valve broken? Or burst disk

I had an anti siphon installed by a Planet Eclipse master tech at a local shop. Ever since the anti-siphon was installed, I can hear a clinking sound if I shake the bottle. The sound is especially pronounced if the bottle was empty.

Anyway, I went back to the same proshop today and asked them if this was a problem. The guy there (not the same person who installed the anti-siphon), said that this was normal and that it just needed a fill for the pressure to reduce the rattle.

He filled my tank, and later in the evening I used it to air up a marker. As I started to unscrew the tank, it suddenly started rapidly releasing gas. At first I thought the o-ring had ruptured, but when I took the tank completely off, I noticed that the gas was continuing to escape rapidly from the valve. I put down the bottle to avoid frostbite and let the rest of the CO2 leave the tank. Examining the bottle valve now, it seems that the pin is very loose, which does not seem normal.

So, I need some expert advice. Is this bottle finished? Or is it just the burst disk (the bottle was overfilled)? Was the anti-siphon installed incorrectly?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dewok82

The bottle is most likely fine.

An anti-siphon shouldn't clink around much, if at all. If they placed the end of the anti-siphon tube up very close to the side of the bottle then a hard shaking might produce a very faint clinking (like, you should have to whack the bottle hard against some surface and might hear a faint "tink" as the end of the A/S tube hits the side of the bottle).

If your co2 bottle was full, and it vented to empty after being completely removed from an ASA, then most likely the burst disk went. Check it.

The pressure of the co2 in the bottle would have most likely prevented it from venting from the pin valve (normal output) area itself.

Are you sure they didn't install a SIPHON tube? Many siphon tube shake around and clink when the tank is empty.

Also, the term "master airsmith" is thrown around more often than (insert whatever witty comment here). With the tank completely depressurized, push down on the pin and see if there is much/any resistance. They may have forgotten to replace the spring underneath the pin. Also, there is a chance the sealant material that rests at the bottom of the pin (a small circle of plasticish looking material, located at the base of the pin and at the top of the "pin piston") may have become worn or marred. A gouge in that could cause the symptoms you are describing.

I hope I helped, but I doubt I did. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck. C02 is a fine power source for paintball markers when used properly and I genuinely hope you find a solution to your dilemma.
Automags.org Feedback
Mcarterbrown Feedback
Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dewok82

Also, after another beer and re-reading your post - the "master tech" may have not screwed the A/S tube adapter securely enough in to the base of the Co2 valve. If that fell out, it could cause some of the problems you mentioned. But, if this were the case, pushing down on the pin (with the bottle being empty) would cause it to fall down into the bottle completely.

I did my good deed, I tried. Check Doc's Machine Technical info section for more info on co2 tanks/valves/siphons/anti-siphons, etc...

Regardless, your bottle isn't finished (unless out of hydro). They probably just screwed up your anti-siphon install.
Automags.org Feedback
Mcarterbrown Feedback
Old 01-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewok82 View Post
If your co2 bottle was full, and it vented to empty after being completely removed from an ASA, then most likely the burst disk went. Check it.
It's about time I learned how to do that. Uhh... how do I do that?

Quote:
The pressure of the co2 in the bottle would have most likely prevented it from venting from the pin valve (normal output) area itself.
It looked like it was coming out of the top of the tank, out of the pin area...

Quote:
Are you sure they didn't install a SIPHON tube? Many siphon tube shake around and clink when the tank is empty.
positive, I watched him do it. Well, most of it anyway.

Well, I guess I'll have to take this tank back in... I have 45/45 now, but I was going to use this tank as a back up or loaner, just in case.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

From what I read, the tube anyway, I've had that issue, nothing really serious. Is it a plastic tube or Aluminum?

When it comes to the pin, sounds like the small/tiny Oring inside that valve head is wrecked.

Be thankful that the valve itself didn't start coming undone as you unscrewed the tank, that happened on the field one day while I was playing with a bunch of my buddies. Poor kid had no idea what was going on.

I would go back and show him, did you buy the tube/valve from him or was it an Ebay type find? If it's his, he should replace it.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks for the help. Well, I went back to the shop, and a different guy looked at it. He said nothing was wrong and aired it up. No explosion... The burst disk was intact.

the pin seemed a little looser than I remember it being. If you wiggle it around now, a tad of air can leak out. I think it is fine...??? I may need a second opinion.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
the pin seemed a little looser than I remember it being. If you wiggle it around now, a tad of air can leak out. I think it is fine...??? I may need a second opinion.
Sounds to me like he should have replaced the pin valve seal. You might have this problem reaccure in the future.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
Let that be a lesson to all you criminal types. Don't steal old and unique paintball gear. We are the market and we will find you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
he doesn't manage a business, and he should have planned it out better or had some experience in what he was doing before taking pre-orders. the worst part is simply that he took the money and did not refund it... which is fraud.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Old 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Sounds to me like he should have replaced the pin valve seal. You might have this problem reaccure in the future.
yeah... but he filled the tank, so I'll have to wait until the tank blows the seal again to fix it, though...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

like asked before, was it a plastic or metal tube??
Kmac
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

It looked like it was copper.

yesterday I de-gassed the tank and tried to unscrew the pin valve. Can get it off because I don't have a vice clamp. I got it about 3/4 of the way, I think, and then it stopped. So, I'm taking it to a different shop for a second opinion.

Also, there seems to be a small hole in the threads, and it is filled with what appears to be red-loctite. I believe I remember reading that the hold is there for a reason and that getting loctite in there is bad...?
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts