mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
DeadlyWind Fibur 14" A/C barrel

I recently ordered a DeadlyWind 14" A/C threaded Fibur barrel, which is a Carbon Fiber barrel that accepts Freak inserts: http://store.deadlywind.com/product/...953742e12.aspx

I used it yesterday (15 Jan 07) on both my GZ Intimidator and 2003 AKA Viking at Hollywood Sports Park, in Bellflower, CA. I'm really impressed with it! At the beginning of the day, it was pretty cold here in Los Angeles, and the paintballs rolled right through most of my Freak inserts. The paintballs were the 'Event paint' that HSP sells for $23 a case. They are basically seconds paint, although they only have some mild dimples. Actually, it's pretty decent, especially for $23! Later in the day, I switched to the HSP White box paint, with the SC Village logo on it. That paint is considerably better, it's made by RPScherer if I'm not mistaken. Also, for the Freak barrel I was using the aluminum inserts. I've never owned the Stainless inserts, so I can't tell you if I prefer them or not... I ended up choosing the 0.682 insert, against my better judgement... I had a few breaks using the Viking at the beginning. I thought the marker itself might have been at fault, or the fact that I put a barrel o-ring on the new barrel (leaving too much space inbetween the breach and insert). However, I bumped the insert up by one size, removed the barrel o-ring, and that prevented breaks until later in the day, when I again went up one more insert and settled on 0.687, which worked fine in both markers.

Out of all this, the barrel breaks helped me evaluate the 'cleaning' properties of the new barrel. Most barrel manufacturers claim that the barrel will 'shoot through' breaks or clean out in 2-3 shots. My opinion is that those statements are mostly marketing pitches! While the barrel still had a lot of icky residue in it, it did shoot surprisingly 'well' after a break. After about 5 shots, the accuracy returned to somewhere approaching normal (although still not what you would consider great). I did squeegee it, but I felt confident that if I do break a ball in the barrel, and I'm in the heat of battle, it will clear out fairly quickly and won't put me at the most severe disadvantage.

Fast-forward to later in the day, I put the barrel on my Intimidator. A friend of mine had been shooting the Intimidator all day so far with a standard Freak barrel (also 0.682 insert), and had experienced barrel breaks as well. After a bit of diagnosis, I again confirmed that it was the insert. Neither of the guns 'chopped' any balls, they were just too tight a fit in the barrels. Up to this point, the jury was out on my opinions of the new barrel, so I played a game with the Fibur on my GZ and I fell in love with it right there!

Accuracy was stellar, much better than the anodize-matched Freak I have for the Intimidator (which is a bit disappointing!). Distance shooting was much better than I'm used to. Since I was play-testing the marker/barrel, and don't have any ranges/references for accuracy, you'll just have take my word that it performed great. I also put the barrel back on the Viking and it performed in a similarly great fashion.

All-in-all, my quick review is that the Fibur exceeds the Stiffi in almost every way. I have used two different Stiffi barrels over time on various A/C threaded markers, and didn't find them to be all that accurate. The Fibur weighs slightly more due to the addition of the Freak insert, but it's so light anyway that the difference is negligible. I REALLY LIKED THE BALANCE that it provided for both markers. Some people have said that CF barrels make the front too light, but I disagree. For me, using a Halo and HPA tank on-board, it made the markers balance very nicely. Pointability was awesome! Another gentleman on the field had a Sly barrel kit on his Ion, which is another CF Insert barrel, although their inserts are proprietary and a little shorter than Freak inserts. Upon observing his marker, I found that his was reasonably accurate as well. Although this was a limited experience, I have to conclude that BOTH of these kits exceed the performance and flexibility of a Stiffi barrel.

In a nutshell, if you're looking for a great CF barrel and like the flexibility that Freak inserts provide, then this is the best barrel for your money! I think it works great, and I'm really impressed with the innovation they used in the design. GO BUY ONE NOW!

The barrel as I received it in the mail:

I'm using it on my '04 Viking, although I just got it working tonight. The barrel was ACTUALLY TESTED on my '03 Viking and GZ Intimidator:

Here's a look at how the Freak inserts fit in. They slide in pretty easily, but the tolerances are good, and they are solidly centered in the barrel without any slop:

Just a little test shot down the barrel. Notice the shape of the porting right at the very end (center of the picture), it looks similar to the Deadlywind logo:

Here's what the setup looks like, I think it's pretty sharp!

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."

Last edited by SpinDoctor15; 01-18-2007 at 01:53 AM.
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

HollyWood Sports is my home field, I went to school with the owners sone and he got me into paintball, I get in free as long as i help out around the park by reffing games.

Kick A$$ Customs
We go what you need

"Well, I lost this finger playing paintball, and this one in an elephant stampeed, this one juggling rusty chainsaws,......

TriggerHappy's Feed Back
triggerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Looks like the 14" cocker is out of stock for a while.

Do you know if the 14" and the 16" have the same amount of porting? There's no contact information on their site

Thanks
Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

The store is a subset of:
http://www.deadlywind.com/

there is a contact tab on the main page
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm not sure about the amount of porting, but the 14" seems just the right length. I've owned 16" barrels and I currently have an 18" Boomstick that sees no use. It looks cool, but 14" seems to be the optimal. I guess I bought the last one they had on the shelf!

Hanan, you'll like this barrel if you decide to get one. I forgot to post pictures last night, will get to it this evening!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I updated the original post (thanks, Splattttttt!) to reflect the type of paint I was using and the type of Freak inserts I was using.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Most barrel manufacturers claim that the barrel will 'shoot through' breaks or clean out in 2-3 shots. My opinion is that those statements are mostly marketing pitches!
Oh so true...

but i prefer a 10", lol..

Nice write up..
Kmac
K.macocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I added pictures as promised!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 01-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Just a question, when you use an insert based barrel on an open bolt marker like the viking what is the advantage?
The only one I can think of is efficiency but the freak insert being so short is that significant?

Efficiency is the only difference I have ever noticed when bothering to match my paint to the barrel compared say a lapco microshot to a lapco bigshot.

It looks very sharp so hence why I am interested in seeing if it might serve me well enough to justify the cost of barrel+inserts.
Assnolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to incynr8

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
You get a bit more consistancy as the ball is sealing better at the barrel-breech at the moment of firing, instead of being flung/rolling forward or getting alot of gas around it at the moment of firing, once it's moving under velcoity it's not as significant.
incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts