mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Will work 4 First Strikes

Select Fire First Strike ATS AT85 (Pic Heavy) How To

Hi Everyone
Ever wanted a sniper looking version of your ATS, something you can take to big scenario games? I wanted something unique and awesome looking like Rustyís TSG-1. I also wanted to take advantage of Tiberius Armsí First Strike Rounds. So I did it. After almost two years, I have a unique paintball gun that not only looks cool but scary intimidating. The mod is only for the upper half and the stock.

After:

Parts and Tools Required:
1. Dremel tool
2. AT- 85 upper
3. 23 inch barrel
4. G3 clone Airsoft body Ė working or not.

5. The following adhesives:

All parts were acquired from MCB BST section, Home Depot, Gumby and Tiberius Arms.

PART 1 Sniper Body Mod
Take the Airsoft G3 and gut it. All you need is the external shell. The airsoft rifle came apart like a clam shell.

Take the airsoft shell and using a dremel tool, cut the airsoft shell to snugly fit over the ATS upper receiver.

Take the external shell and epoxy over the ATS body. Epoxy one side at time and once dry, epoxy the other side. I used electrical tape to temporally hold it together. Surprisingly, the airsoft shell is a perfect fit to the external skin of the ATS. I sanded the inside of the shell to promote adhesion. I used the original screw from the airsoft gun to help keep the clamshell body together while the epoxy dried.

I used epoxy to hold the airsoft charging tube over the ATS front shroud. Once dried, I used JB Weld to fill any holds the epoxy didnít cover.

I drilled the top and side of the airsoft body matching the original screw holes so that I could use the original mounting screws of ATS AT85.

Once all the adhesives are cured and all the screws in place, you get this:

STOCK:
Keep the original mounting hole from the airsoft gun. The mounting hole is epoxied to a modified scope mount. The pin goes through the mounting hole holding the stock to the receiver by the modded scope mount which is attached to the rear ASA. By keeping the original mounting hole and the original airsoft pin, it allows the use of most aftermarket G3/MP5 stocks for future upgrades.

PART 2 First Strike Conversion:

Disclaimer: I first tested the First Strike modified ATS bolt with a box of 40 rounds and shot reliably. And the current mod still works pretty good but subsequent test showed a few jamming issues (3 rounds would jam in a box of 40). I still haven't figured out a solution which prevented me from posting but what the heck. If you want a super reliable First Strike Round platform, in my humble opinion, I would recommend buying a marker specifically designed for it.

First strike conversion involves modifying 3 things:the bolt, the bolt Sleeve and the magazine.

Bolt:
I used a pvc fitting from Home Depot. Using a dremel, I grinded it to form a "hat" over the bolt seal.

Bolt Sleeve:
Grinded the breech hole to form a "D" to enable the skirt of the first strike round to fit.

Not my pict but thank you for inspiration.
Here is what I did:

Magazine:
I called Tiberius Arms and ordered the red First Strike Springs and magazine followers. I cut the side of the ATS magazine to make it fit.

You are done!

Here are the vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgCj7Kl0Dqc

One more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4cglde--bM

It took a three months and about an hour every other day and couple of hours during the weekends to complete. It was challenging but I had fun. IN the end, you get an ATS AT85 select fire, First Strike Round ready paintball gun. If anyone has any question, donít hesitate to let me know.

In action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UlfU2FocFA

**Edit** added third video.

Thank you!

Last edited by jjron99; 08-27-2012 at 08:40 PM.
jjron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Damage Inc War Chief

post up a pic of the PVC fitting you used on the bolt...that will help out the next guy a bit.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")...
RepomanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Love it.

My AO Feedback

Want to cover you stainless steel lines with something nice? I've got heat shrink tubing.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

One thing to keep in mind; While firing using your first strike magazine you can have the same guide plate problem as you would firing without a magazine in place. The chain in a magazine helps to lift the cog up at the start of it's forward travel. So without a chain you may have a jam due to a leaf spring failure

Damage Inc!

Official ATS Owner's manual online http://www.box.net/shared/dqgglm0bsx
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gumby, your insights have been and always will be appreciated. This project was finished last year and I have shot over 400 First Strike Round through it (50 rounds in the field and the rest in a controlled environment during testing) without any guideplate failures. Of course that does not mean anything moving forward. I did account for it by ordering extra guideplates. I have an extra chain lying around that I can put into one of the first strike magazine. It was just painful to have to dremel out the metal risers in the chain. I know someone must have taken the time to solder each of one of them by hand. I will make the magazine modification to include the chains.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks jjron99 this is a great build project and demonstrates the potential of the ATS marker.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
Sun Tzu c. 544
Raptor 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

So who the hell has an extra 23" barrel? They are very rare and not made any more, unless Gumby gets an order for a hundred or so. Next option is to get another LAPCO barrel run in a tighter bore, .676 - .680 in a length longer than 16".

I personally met "The Weltman" at Road Warriors part I in Alpine, CA. I even shook his hand. Awesome.

L I T O's feedback
L I T O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I T O View Post
So who the hell has an extra 23" barrel? They are very rare and not made any more, unless Gumby gets an order for a hundred or so. Next option is to get another LAPCO barrel run in a tighter bore, .676 - .680 in a length longer than 16".
I got one, and the barrel sleeve complete with the M16 hand-guard!
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
Sun Tzu c. 544

Last edited by Raptor 10; 04-06-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Raptor 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Damage Inc War Chief

I got a few of those 23's

one was GumbTech modded for my mock silencer on the AT-4

the other 3 are still minty fresh

OH...I almost forgot this:

FULL - AUTO First Strike! who else out there has stepped up to that plate and took a swing? ATS owners own all. that is all

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")...

Last edited by RepomanGene; 04-13-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added comment
RepomanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanGene View Post
post up a pic of the PVC fitting you used on the bolt...that will help out the next guy a bit.

Cut one one end, its a half inch fitting.

You have to dremel out both the inside (to fit in the bolt) and the outside - shown as a red line to fit the bolt seal.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS