mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

New member of the First Strike Club

After a long slow build process, I've finally confirmed that my marker feeds and fired first strike rounds. I fired off a few rounds in my frozen backyard and it worked exactly as expected. Special thanks to jjron99 for the initial build walkthrough, and to SuperStanchyCustoms for the custom hammerhead barrel thread work. I deviated slightly, mainly in that I used PCL plastic to make my bolt 'hat' rather than a PVC fitting. My magazine is also a slightly different five round design. I'll post detailed pics of everything here, if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer. Excuse the odd paintjob, I'm in the process of giving it a multilayer camo job.

lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Here are some closeups of the magazine. This is, really, the biggest change.

As you can see, I've added a small extension off the bottom of the magazine. I also have a bent paper clip for a follower. The magazine is loaded by pulling a string to draw the follower back (the metal clip can be used, but it's cumbersome). The string is then wrapped around a screw to hold the follower in place. The advantage of this system is that it allows the magazine to be removed while partially empty.

Inside is pretty straightforward. Most of the custom work that you see comes from my choice to use mag shells that could not be repaired. The chain has been removed for clearance reasons. I had initially tried to use a modified painless chain (which would allow me to swap mags/paint types without fear of damaging my guide plates) but ultimately I decided that dual ammo was not really important to me.

The extension is there to allow the spring room to compress. I made it from a section off of a 10-round stock tube. The follower is molded from PCL, which allows for it to be reshaped/fine tuned as needed. The spring if from a 20ga shotgun feed spring. The Mossberg 500 12ga spring is too large, so don't buy that one. My next mag will likely use a TiPX mag spring, because I believe they will compress smaller, poccibly giving an extra round of capacity.

The follower is held in place by wrapping the string around a retainer screw. This prevents the stack from being tensioned before you are ready, so it could shoot/store regular paint as well. The factory metal detent keeps rounds from falling out while it is not inserted.

I used some giftcards to build an elevated platform for the paperclip retainer to slide over. The paperclip assembly may not be needed, and is a holdover from a previous design (did not use a draw string). I'll report if it's not needed after my new round of magshells arrive from Gumby.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I want to mention that the magazine worked with the modified chain in place, but I'd have to accept a smaller capacity (the extension would not have cleared the chain). I likely would have gone that route, but the mounting points for the chain disintegrated in this shell, so I just removed it. If you want to give it a try, shoot me a message and I'll send you the chain.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Here is my bolt hat, next to a stock bolt. I did have to sand this down to be a little bit thinner, as it was not allowing paint to load (it would pinch balls in the breach). I noticed that the fins of the round below the one that is chambered sometimes scrape across the rubber bolt seal. I don't know if this will present an issue, but if it does I'll produce a solid PCL bolt seal specifically for FSRs.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Will work 4 First Strikes

Magnificent work!
jjron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I wanted to share a novel approach that I developed to test magazine feeding through the modified feed opening.

All you need is a roll of duct tape, some dental floss, and your first strike magazine.

1) Thread the floss through the bolt face and out the back.

2) Align the body perpendicular to the magazine and use the detent to fix the position over the feed stack.

3) Insert the bolt into the body. Push it forward with your finger to eject a round, then retract it using the floss.

The assembly looks like this:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS