mcarterbrown.com  

ATS AT-85 AT-10 AT-6 AT-4

Old 02-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

subbed just because this is so cool.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
THUNDERPUSSY

Location: The land of overpriced cigarettes and expensive Beer

an all metal ats would be killer. Branded Logo would be neat.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

With the stl files, you could really make one in basically any material. Obviously some wouldn't be good ideas to pressurize, but a solid gold marker would be neat (and give you gold to have on hand during an economic collapse!)

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
THUNDERPUSSY

now, what are the levels of being able to do a design. perhaps a hibiscus print ats

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

If you printed in aluminum, you'd be able to anodize in the color/pattern of your choosing. Going with a printed marker may well allow us to remove the need for locktite on the 'bonded components' which would mean that powder coating is also a maybe.

The limiting factor, of course, is going to be the internal air passages. The base may still have to be two parts that get bonded, as the passages may need to be cleaned after production. They may not, we'll just have to see what printing technology offers us.

Either way, I think we're still a little ways off from new markers. We need parts first

My feedback thread
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I traded messages with Gumby, and he has given the project his blessing.

Ray, do you think that printed marker bases will seal at 800+ psi? I was wondering about that today, and while a two piece marker base (glued together) would be less cool, it would allow us to possibly run micro line through the passages (if needed).

My feedback thread
Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The advantage to printing is you don't need to bond anything. Regarding the pressure limits, only a test will truly tell. I'll print the first one in nylon, if that has problems I'll try a PC TPE. That'll have better layer adhesion and be more flexible. Probably do a combo, with PC TPE handling the inside, with a regular nylon "shell". If that doesn't work, then shapeways here we come. I'm very confident that a sintered nylon piece will be plenty strong for the base. Hopefully this weekend we'll have our answer!
Hephaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

That is all nice and dandy. IMHO the real need NOW item is magazines. If that would be on the priority list, I and few others would be happy. I has a bunch of mags but unlike real mags when thrown in the dump pouch and forgotten, plastic tends to break under a boot and during aggressive maneuvers. TGR mags are made of very durable plastic. If we could print our own mags and change over the guts from one to another, I would not mind being aggressive with my spent mags in my dump pouch.

The currently ATS mags are made of very thin plastic and very easy to destroy. The 3D printed version should keep the original internal dimensions but the mag wall thicker going out, waffle styling a bonus. I would imagine that the mag well would have to be slightly larger to accommodate a rATS mag. Which would mean that the rATS "upper" receiver that takes rATS mags would just be coupled with a ATS "lower" to make a complete ATS/rATS hybrid marker.

I personally met "The Weltman" at Road Warriors part I in Alpine, CA. I even shook his hand. Awesome.

L I T O's feedback
L I T O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Meant to post this here:

I hear ya, LITO. Mags are the very next thing I will work on after I get a rear end printed. I like your waffle style idea. Kyle and I have been discussing a worthy replacement for the chain as well, going so far as to let shapeways sinter the links together. They would be quite strong, and even allow for the cog pull to be a more easily replaced material, such as nylon, polycarbonate or ABS. I'll start like I am doing with the back end though, a simple shell replacement for stock internal mechanisms, then we'll work out from there.

I sent you a PM regarding forward loaders, btw!
Hephaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
THUNDERPUSSY

The mags should 100% allow easy reload via 10rnd tubes.

Paintball Guns > Tuition

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ATS