mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Talking WGP Autococker SN 8283 ... WORKS!

(EDIT: Added picture)

Sorry, I am just gloating. But, I want to thank MCB for all the advice and words of wisdom that helped me get this badboy back up an running.

Special thanks to Wycke for the rock regulator that solved my re-cocking problems, and the new stock three-way and collar that he sent to me for *free*.

Only steps remaining: install detent when UPS brings it today; and chrono. Then, off to the field next free weekend to go hunting for ego07-wielding, paint-spaying agglets who are younger than this marker (ca. 1992).

Also, Brasso has made the bass ram and three-way shine up real purty-like. I'm beginning to understand my MCBers have a penchant for brass.

THANKS MCB!!11oneone11!

Last edited by sdawg; 04-13-2007 at 05:58 PM.
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
go hunting for ego07-wielding, paint-spaying agglets who are younger than this marker (ca. 1992).
That's always fun

Feedback
navyseal07592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Got to test my autococker in the back yard today. I was only able to get chrono'd at 250-260 or 290-310, couldn't get that spot in between at 270-280 that is ideal for the field I play at.

Anyway, I was blown away by how fast I was able to get this thing to shoot!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback
navyseal07592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

EDIT: added more recent picture to the top.

Last edited by sdawg; 03-14-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Avid Collector!

Impressive! Even more impressive: my original Cocker (SN 8331) that has ALL ORIGINAL PARTS (original Stock Reg, Clippard Ram, Brass 3-Way) that shoots like a dream! I don't shoot it much, it's in immaculate shape and I'm trying to keep it that way, but it sure turns heads when I pull it out! I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Aren't those old Cockers the best? I remember when I bought my first one...what an amazing marker then and it still is kick-a$$ today, too!
AK-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Jake View Post
my original Cocker (SN 8331) that has ALL ORIGINAL PARTS (original Stock Reg, Clippard Ram, Brass 3-Way)
these two cockers are practically twins...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Avid Collector!

Yes they are. Take care of yours...they're getting harder and harder to find in such original, vintage condition!!
AK-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
Got to test my autococker in the back yard today. I was only able to get chrono'd at 250-260 or 290-310, couldn't get that spot in between at 270-280 that is ideal for the field I play at.

Anyway, I was blown away by how fast I was able to get this thing to shoot!
I'd say you might need to "sweet spot" your Stab. It sounds like the the IVG has a pronounced "breaking point". Before that point, it's barely opening the valve, after that point, it's opening the valve too far. I had this problem on my first Blazer mainly because it had a stock WGP reg that I couldn't easily adjust. When I put a stab on there and "sweet spotted" it, I could (with good, consistent paint) literally dial it to any velocity between 250-300 fps.

Basically:
1. set the IVG at its mid-point
2. start with the Stab's adjuster all the way out and turn it up just until the gun cycles properly
3. load some paint and continue turning up the Stab, taking about 5 shots at each adjustment (I usually go with 1/2 turn per adjustment at first just to ball-park it)
4. The velocity will continue to increase, and then reach a point where it starts to drop - using very fine (like 1/8 turn) increments, find the point where it's at its maximum value (this is the "sweet spot" - where your gun's valving is operating most efficiently)
5. Adjust the IVG to get to a field-safe speed

If you find that even with the reg "sweet spotted" you can't get to a decent (or safe) velocity, you'll likely need to swap springs. Go a little heavier on the mainspring (or lighter if you need to bring the speed down). Once you change a spring, though, you need to start over from the top. The whole point is finding the pressure at which your combination of valve, springs, bolt, barrel and paint work most efficiently. Higher efficiency = less energy required to do the same amount of work. You'll get more shots per fill and put less strain on the valvetrain.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
I'd say you might need to "sweet spot" your Stab. It sounds like the the IVG has a pronounced "breaking point".
I used my palmer's stabilizer with this marker this past weekend. Before, I didn't have an inline reg, just a direct braided line to the vert ASA from the HPA 750psi non-adjustable screw-in tank.

With the palmer's reg, I was able to get a fairly consistent 270-280 with each shot. Long story short, I bagged a Ton Ton Shocker and an Ego this past weekend with this bad boy. The owner of the field, who was a cocker afficianado back in the day, asked if I wanted to sell my gun.

Thanks again for all the help, MCB!

Spring Cleaning Sale 2017

MCB Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Autocockers