mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pneumatics ??

Ok guys I've for a long time torn the pneumatics off Cockers to make Snipers. Well now I'm wanting to make a sleeper cocker and I'm looking for some input on what are good front end parts. I'm looking for FUNCTION over Form, flashy parts are not desired. I want reliability over everything else this will be a gun I tote around and rearly use as a backup to my 2 snipers or on those rear days I want to "sling" paint so it will see little use.

I actually have access to a NOS STO front block with all stock parts that look pretty unimpressive (not flashy). Are the stock STO parts good functioning mechanical parts?

The gun I'm starting with is essentally a stock 2K+ RF cocker. The existing pneumatics are in a little rough shape so replacing them is most likely a must.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
STO parts are pretty good. I've had GREAT experiences with Palmer pneumatics, and they're pretty much the opposite of flashy. I've had good runs with ANS parts as well.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
STO parts are pretty good. I've had GREAT experiences with Palmer pneumatics, and they're pretty much the opposite of flashy. I've had good runs with ANS parts as well.
I was just at Palmer's site looking at their whole front assembly, I had a feeling they were going to get recommended. I'd heard that the ANS 3(4) ways were iffy.

I'd actually love to get Palmer's pneumatics in raw brass and let them tarnish if the palmers are that good. It would add to the "stealth" effect, never hurts to under-impress the competition

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I was just at Palmer's site looking at their whole front assembly, I had a feeling they were going to get recommended. I'd heard that the ANS 3(4) ways were iffy.

I'd actually love to get Palmer's pneumatics in raw brass and let them tarnish if the palmers are that good. It would add to the "stealth" effect, never hurts to under-impress the competition
I've got a full PPS front end on my current 'Cocker and they work well. I don't believe that they currently make any of them out of brass, though. The Rock and Quikswitch use aluminum bodies, and the Quick(er) Ram is all stainless (I think...might be part brass, part stainless).

To be honest, though, the stock pneumatics are actually pretty good. Newer WGP rams are (IIRC) rebuildable, the CT 3-way (which I think is now standard on the mechanical models) gives a relatively short, smooth throw, and the stock LPR has been pretty good since the late 90s, lacking only external adjustment capability. The '97 'Cocker I bought (from someone - I can't recall who - on MCB) had a stock brass ram, old-style 3-way (the one with the snap-rings holding the guts in) and an old black Rock on it, and that was probably one of the best shooting 'Cockers I ever used. I eventually pulls the pneumatics off it to Sniper-ize it, though.

All that being said, I think the stock STO pneus will serve you well. And if you don't want anyone to think they're too flashy, just use a shroud (that adds another layer of "noobie-ness" to the look as well).

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've used alot of brands of pnuematics and here are my recomendations:

3-way:
Shocktech bomb, has the best trigger pull of any three way out there, that is if you like it short and crisp, if you are looking for something smooth and a tad longer, try the Hollowpoint 3-way. I like both far more than the palmer 3-way which seems to have more friction that either of these.

The stock stuff isn't bad.

LPR: If you really want a good backup then the Palmer Rock is your best bet, it will vent off liquid co2, and vent off excess pressure when your HPR is creeping, which makes it the most reliable one out there. Pretty much any airsystem can be used without issue.

Otherwise keep the stock one, it is self adjusting, and has always worked great, I use an STO LPR on my cocker (I prefer a mag as a backup to my cocker, so relaibility isn't paramount)

Rams, Unless it is an E-cocker, there seems little point, I have a ram from a Dye cocker on mine and I see no advatage over the WGP unit. Now, some will disagree and argue a ram that is smoother or whatever, but that just isn't important to me on my cocker.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Rams make a difference, The dye ram is arguably worse than stock to some people.

Current WGP pneumatics are totally decent. Their main flaw in the past was a non adjustable regulator and now they finally have offered adjustable regs standard.

You can pick up complete pneumatic kits for darned cheap if you keep your eyes peeled

FS 05 Pro Stock Cocker pneumatics

Cant beat that.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Use a shroud that will make it way stealth.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
If your looking for a brass rock reg, hit me up, I have 2.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sly1

rare is spelled rare, not rear

I'd go with an ans Jackhammer lpr, a shocktech bomb threeway, and a palmer ram lol.. the st threeway is the shortest pull threeway I know of..

and btw, the 05 frontblock doesnt work on all cockers.. so be careful.
Feedback-

Last edited by Sly1; 07-07-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Sly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly1 View Post
rare is spelled rare, not rear

Ide go with an ans Jackhammer lpr...
I'd is spelled I'd, not Ide.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Autocockers