mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-29-2017, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Black and Brass Mechivor Build

Enjoy.

Current Status:
11/6/2017
SHOOTING VIDEO ADDED TODAY! Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming!

Parts Still Needed:
Brass Detent
Brass CCM Bolt Pin (Thinking about just getting a Delrin "no show" pin for weight purposes.)
Brass Safety (I'll have to have this custom made.)
Brass Eye Patch (I'll have to have this custom made.)
Brass Trigger and Sear Pin (UPDATE: Going to braze brass onto the ends of stainless pins for looks and durability. Thanks Vantrepes. I'm not sure if I'm going to tackle this myself yet.)

Brass Trigger (I will be custom making my own. I'm going to make a Deuce Trigger, similar to the original, but with a bit more forward angle rather than straight down.)

I'd like to eliminate all silver on this build and keep it strictly Black and Brass. I'm going to look into getting a few Brass Screws for the Grips and Beaver Tail.

The Backstory:
This build was sparked by a picture I saw on one of the forums many years ago. I saw this picture of the Black Karnivor with Brass Pneumatics and I instantly knew I wanted to build one.

The Build:
Quite a few years later, someone posted up a Black Karnivor for sale, I finally had the money and the gun was perfect. It was a good deal, just waiting to be built like my vision. The gun was well taken care of and came with everything it would have new: the Box, Video, Instructions, Original E2, etc...Plus it was already a mech and had the 3way, Benchmark Frame and Empire Rail! [Edit: I wish I never sold the E2 kit from this.]

Once I got it, I put a pair of custom wooden Contract Killer grips on it and I played with it for two or three weekends. It shot great and I was super excited to get into the build.

I wanted to keep the original asa but I did not like the empire rail. I really like single trigger slide frames, but I have already done a build with one (My Pre2k RF Cocker), so I decided I would use a Hinge Frame (since it's a vertical feed and I'd like to get a bit higher ROF when I want to). After looking for the perfect trigger frame, I settled on an 05 WGP Hinge. It was already Dust Black and has a built in rail for the asa. I don't think I could have found a more perfect frame for this build.

I'm going to have a Brass Trigger and Sear Pin made for the frame. (Possibly a replacement Brass Safety too.) [Update added to top of post] I'm going to make my own Brass Deuce Trigger for the frame.

I almost didn't want to take off the black pneumatics because the gun shot so well, but I wanted to use them on a different build, and I knew the Mechivor was going to need some tuning anyways, so I finally took the plunge and swapped the pneumatics out for the Brass ones.

I was going to get some Brass CCM Macro Fittings, but I came across a set for a good price and IMO actually look a bit nicer. When the Brass bits are all polished up and the build is finished, I think they will look better than the CCM ones would have.

This is how she sits right now.

Last edited by Dpbailey; 11-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Dpbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gorgeous. Literally I've had the same idea just not the cash to do it. Can't wait to see it finished! Thought about a brass barrel from PPS?
uglyduckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
sex, pump and R'n'R

Good project.
fouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduckling View Post
Gorgeous. Literally I've had the same idea just not the cash to do it. Can't wait to see it finished! Thought about a brass barrel from PPS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouge View Post
Good project.
Thanks guys!

I've toyed with the idea of using a Brass Barrel but I like the look of the original Kaner. (I also like that I can get a WGP Tactical Tip and it will thread right into the original Kaner Back.) Eventually, I want to buy a 14 and 18in WGP Tactical Tips.

I was lucky to get a barrel with a .682 back on this gun. I'm going to stick with the original barrel for the reasons stated above.

I most likely get the barrel freak bored when the build is finishing up.

I'm going to order some 3way orings tonight. I want to start getting this thing tuned in now that I pretty much have all of the necessity parts. After I tune it, I can actually use it again and I will be accumulating all of the cosmetic brass parts.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
The cake is a lie

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpbailey View Post
I've toyed with the idea of using a Brass Barrel but I like the look of the original Kaner. (I also like that I can get a WGP Tactical Tip and it will thread right into the original Kaner Back.) Eventually, I want to buy a 14 and 18in WGP Tactical Tips.

I was lucky to get a barrel with a .682 back on this gun. I'm going to stick with the original barrel for the reasons stated above.
I wonder if it would be possible to get a brass freak-bored back, threaded to be compatible with the Kaner tips. Ty McNeer at Brass Monkey Customs might be to price such a thing up.

It's a beautiful build!

My modest collection: Customized PMI Trracer,"Le Frelon", Brass Eagle Nightmare LB Comp "Foxtrot November", Customized Sheridan P68SC, Tippmann Pro/Am, PT Extreme, ACI F4 Illustrator, 2k2 WGP Black Magic "Requiem", 2006 SP Shocker NXT "Elegy"

GattoDiavolo's Feedback
GattoDiavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

So I installed the 3way orings and finally aired up the gun...Leaks everywhere. (As I anticipated.)

The LPR will need a rebuild.
I don't remember if the Ram leaked, but when we took it off afterwards, it didn't have much suction when we were testing it by hand.
I'm going to add Brass Top Hats to all of the ends of the Pneumatic Tubing when I put them back on.

My buddy was kind enough to rebuild the pneus for me so I left them at his house. The Karni is close to being shot with the final pneumatics, but the complete Black/Brass build sill has a ways to go. (I'm not in much of a rush on this build, but I am looking out for bits and pieces and acquiring them as I can.) I just got a Brass Timing Rod and Coupler for cheap, so those will be coming in the mail in a few days. I was also fortunate enough to trade some parts for the regulator I've been looking for on my pump build so I'm happy to move the Karni Reg back to her rightful home.

Opinions Wanted:
I was thinking about getting a Brass Banjo Bolt for the look. At the same time, I have an Inception Low Pressure Chamber Banjo that I was thinking about using. (This would drop the operating pressure right?) I want to eliminate all silver on this build so I'll be fine with either route, but right now I'm on the fence. I'm not too sure if a Brass Banjo would be bad because of it's physical properties...I guess I could always get a Banjo Bolt Brass Plated but that would be a bit more work...maybe someone can weigh in.

Progress Pics...Put the Reg Back on and added the second Brass Macro Fitting. Second Pic is a closeup of the CK Grips. I need to clean and stain them.

Last edited by Dpbailey; 10-03-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Love the look of this build! There was someone on Facebook selling brass grip panels, which might be even better looking than the nice wood grips you've already got. I believe it was posted in the Autococker Enthusiasts Facebook group.

Have fun with your build!
zjfmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

In your original post I just noticed AGD grips on that other gun? What is going on there?
uglyduckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjfmiller View Post
Love the look of this build! There was someone on Facebook selling brass grip panels, which might be even better looking than the nice wood grips you've already got. I believe it was posted in the Autococker Enthusiasts Facebook group.

Have fun with your build!
I'm in that group. I lurk for deals and steals. haha
Good group. There's some knowledgeable people in it.

The idea of Brass Grip Panels sounds cool, but I'm probably going to keep the CK Wooden ones on there. If I were to ever change it up from those, I'd probably just throw some rubber houges on it for comfort.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduckling View Post
In your original post I just noticed AGD grips on that other gun? What is going on there?
Yea, I'm pretty sure the original build used an old school composite frame. I'm not entirely sure of the grips on it. The original photo at the very top was merely my inspiration for this build. (Mostly inspired me that I wanted a Black Karni with all Brass Pneumatics. haha)

I was thinking about using a single trigger slider frame on this build but I've already done that on a few of my builds, so I really wanted to go the Hinge Frame route for this one. (It's a little easier to achieve and hold high rates of fire on a Hinge Frame vs Slider. My opinion of course...)

I wasn't sure what hinge frame to use at first, but I knew that I wanted to use the original Karni asa, so I knew that I needed a rail. After a bit of looking, I noticed the hinge frames that came on the 05 Prostocks. They're dust black (a big plus, matches from the get go), WGP (Fits the build perfectly), and the frame has a very nice looking rail built into the frame. EDIT: I can still use the Karni Snatch Grip with this frame too. Although this didn't rule out too many frames, it was still a big factor in the decision.

Trigger Frames are definitely personal preference, but the Black 05 WGP Prostock Hinge Frames are super nice and I'd definitely recommend one to anyone wanting a hinge frame, also planning on using a dovetail asa.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Old gear!

Clippard sells brass regulators that would work great as an LPR. Really cheap, too... $25 IIRC. The 1/8 NPT to 10-32 option, specifically.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Autocockers