mcarterbrown.com  

Avratech Home of the Retro 7

Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I'll try to snap a picture in a few, without the iPhone in the cradle and then one with the reduced image. I think the eye piece on the red dot isn't long enough for the Magnifi to fully line up over it. I'm going to reach out to the inventors and see if anyone has been able to mod the pc to date. I think. I think I can reduce the apparatus by about less than 0.25 inches and then epoxy it back up and the picture would be perfectly aligned if not closer to a much better picture profile on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
Nice work alpha and nice ideas deadpool!

So what exactly is keeping the magnifi from going all the way onto the scope? Also any pics of this setup?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Here you go Dun:

This is in the "right" configuration. But you can also rock it in the left, up or down positions as well.

The "little" gap:

View from the iphone:

In picture mode, I can pinch the screen to increase size of the picture profile but I trade clarity for the bigger view. In camera mode, the picture size is a marginally better. The reticle fades also fades in and out but never goes completely invisible. This is at its lowest point of fade and the overall zoom is a tad over 1x. Working properly the "circle" would encompass the entire picture with 100% clarity and 3x zoom function.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
So the back tube is just a tad too short to get the lens close enough to the Red Dot's glass?
Man, I can see how that tiny bit is frustrating! Almost perfect!
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Yup. Exactly. Close but no cookie. I sent the inventor(s) an em. They (husband / wife) team are pretty good with responses. Give or take a day or two and this invention at the moment is not their full time job. I just want to be sure that should I take a saw to the apparatus I can accomplish perfect picture profile by reducing the gap. Else I can get a replacement of should I f'up lol.

Quote:
So the back tube is just a tad too short to get the lens close enough to the Red Dot's glass?
Man, I can see how that tiny bit is frustrating! Almost perfect!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
This thing's going to be a ton of fun if that gets worked out.

Point, pull, dead. Over and over.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
So the real issue here is not that its too far from the glass.... its too close to it.

Pushing the Magnifi out a bit gets me this image (notice the reticle is more centered compared to the previous picture):

I forgot that this is not a "scope", its a red dot. Even though its scope like in design. The Magnifi was meant to be used with scopes/telescopes/microscopes where you need to very close to the eye piece to see the images properly. So the Magnifi is not going to help me with this red dot. I might have to look for a true scope to partner it up with the Magnifi.

Dude, that stock pressed against my chest makes bolt action such a joy. One hand on the bolt reloading and the other hand on the trigger. I bet I can get pretty quick with it too if I practice enough.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post
So the real issue here is not that its too far from the glass.... its too close to it.

Pushing the Magnifi out a bit gets me this image (notice the reticle is more centered compared to the previous picture):
Tube Extension Collar? Pretty much just push it back with a piece of pipe but give it something to hold on to and cut out any incoming light?

I really want to see this work!

also....
Hmm I might need to think of making a stock work too. How is working the bolt action in 'pistol' form?
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
(based on plinking inside / across my apartment)

Maybe my technique needs improvement but (to me) its harder to maintain target acquisition while using the bolt action set-up and reloading in a pistol setup.

If you dont mind dipping the marker a bit to reload or some amount of swaying (while you increase your leverage to recock and reload), then its fine.

But with the stock pressed against my chest, I am able to keep my barrel pointed towards a target the entire time, right hand on the trigger..... recock, reload, fire.... repeat. Eyes and barrel still on target at all times.

There isnt much to grip/grab in the bolt action. I am sure with the pump kit you dont need the stock at all. I personally havent tested that out but looking at vids it seems like you dont need a stock.

Quote:
Tube Extension Collar? Pretty much just push it back with a piece of pipe but give it something to hold on to and cut out any incoming light?

I really want to see this work!

also....
Hmm I might need to think of making a stock work too. How is working the bolt action in 'pistol' form?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Did you happen to check this out for mounting the I-Phone?
iScope | Smartphone Adapter for your Scope
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Huh. Interesting. I didn't know about this but the Magnifi does the same thing but at a cheaper sticker price and less apparatus. But Im still going to have the same problems with my red dot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Did you happen to check this out for mounting the I-Phone?
iScope | Smartphone Adapter for your Scope

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Avratech