mcarterbrown.com  

Avratech Home of the Retro 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #121 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada

I have searched this whole subforum for mentions of 'bankrupt,' 'broke,' etc. and this is the first instance of it.

I'm glad you feel that you are trying to do right by us, but to be clear, you aren't doing us a favour, you are fulfilling an obligation.

In 'Plugged In' you mention investing money in building a computer for some friends; maybe that ought to go to this work instead.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I understand your frustration, but that first bit is not correct. To be perfectly clear: the business had thousands of dollars of pre purchases from paying customers, and even more from investors including myself, that business is now essentially bankrupt, and I'm taking the initiative to look after those customers who don't have their product (most of them do have it). The machinery I'm selling to pay off more parts for these customers, is my personal machinery, at this point I am sacrificing just about everything I own to look after you guys. It's my prerogative to do that, and as quickly as possible so I don't have to hear anymore of this.
kospauste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #122 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech
 
ApoC_101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC

That computer is 90% donated parts and the stuff we did buy, was split costs. I also buy groceries with my paycheck money, guess that should go out the window too? There is no obligation for me besides my personal integrity to deliver my hard work, although with the right amount of convincing I can make an exception for some people.

And yea, bankruptcy isn't a term to be used lightly, I have avoided it because I considered alternatives. It's also another headache for me to deal with after this is cleaned up, but it will provide me with a fair sense of closure.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #123 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I hope I am miss reading that...

I sincerely hope you do indeed feel obligated to provide the goods the I and others paid for.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #124 (permalink)
Slowly making progress
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vail, AZ

Since he has a proper business, bankruptcy is an option. That would wipe out all obligations with both delivering product as well as financial debts of the company.

However, I think Josh is trying to do what he can to avoid not delivering product. What he did was a pretty big undertaking, and I'm not surprized at the bumps he ran into, but I can sit on the sidelines and applaud the efforts he is making. He could have just disappeared at the first sign of trouble had had a lot of money and a very low reputation. I see him as trying to do the opposite, painful as it might be.
__________________

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #125 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.
 
D3adpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I think that depends on what sort of debt reorganization or bankruptcy any company is applying for.

I am not a restructuring guy nor do I know anything about Canada law but debt can be impaired if its proven the business is of no value or lacks value to cover its outstandings. In certain cases the debt holders can take over the company and become owners. They can choose to manage the business or if there is going to be a cash burn, liquidate assets to recover some of its investment.

If there is significant value, debt can be reinstated.

The question is are pre-order orders considered debt? Maybe an unsecured liability.
__________________
My Feedback:
D3adpool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #126 (permalink)
Sixfootsix
 
Waylost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Krillehöla-Sweden

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
That gives me a headache just to read.
Hope you have the heart to stay on track josh.
__________________
You don't make friends with electros.

Feedback Youtube Channel
Waylost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #127 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I do believe that ApoC will eventually follow through. I think he bit off more than be could handle but be is working to make things right.

I waited over 18 months for my Retro and I am happy with the product delivered. I am sure I will be happy with the magslide when delivered...

But I do expect anyone I pay for a service/item to feel obligated to provide said service/item ...

Hence my surprise at the above comment and my hope that I just read it and the connotation incorrectly.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #128 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada

Are you really comparing those two things? The first unofficial rule of personal debt is 'pay yourself' to purchase essentials. The rest should service your external obligations. In this case, I would hope that means us.

You enjoy a lot of goodwill from people here and I am willing to give you further benefit of doubt, but don't squander it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
That computer is 90% donated parts and the stuff we did buy, was split costs. I also buy groceries with my paycheck money, guess that should go out the window too? There is no obligation for me besides my personal integrity to deliver my hard work, although with the right amount of convincing I can make an exception for some people.

And yea, bankruptcy isn't a term to be used lightly, I have avoided it because I considered alternatives. It's also another headache for me to deal with after this is cleaned up, but it will provide me with a fair sense of closure.
kospauste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #129 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech
 
ApoC_101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
I hope I am miss reading that...

I sincerely hope you do indeed feel obligated to provide the goods the I and others paid for.
Wasn't very clear there... What I mean to say is that my personal integrity is my obligation to deliver, nothing to do with the business at this point, hence my willingness to pay out of pocket for getting it all done. Also I feel mostly responsible for the business woes so it's only fair to clean up the mess and save face somewhat.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #130 (permalink)
Mod/mod
 
Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trenchtown

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I understand your frustration, but that first bit is not correct. To be perfectly clear: the business had thousands of dollars of pre purchases from paying customers, and even more from investors including myself, that business is now essentially bankrupt, and I'm taking the initiative to look after those customers who don't have their product (most of them do have it). The machinery I'm selling to pay off more parts for these customers, is my personal machinery, at this point I am sacrificing just about everything I own to look after you guys. It's my prerogative to do that, and as quickly as possible so I don't have to hear anymore of this.
Some might consider this the barest minimum duty on the part of an upstanding businessman. Essentially bankrupt is not bankrupt, so until you admit failure and actually declare your ship sunk, all debts denied, then patting yourself on the back and talking about your "prerogative" is pretty revealing about your sense of business ethic.

I have no dog in this fight. (I don't do business with Canadians as a rule, not a prejudice). However, as a mod here who regularly reviews the complaints received from members here, your handling of your "business" is well known to the mod staff. It is the common occurrence of such failures in our sport that required our forum rule with respect to dealing with Internet strangers in other countries.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Avratech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC