mcarterbrown.com  

Avratech Home of the Retro 7

Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Design proposal for those awaiting Magslides

Updating this first post for current status on Magslides, July 2014:

Magslides are my next big order of business for parts production, assuming my Hardinge sells quickly and dumps a big chunk of change into my wallet. They are the most expensive of the parts I need and want to make now that things are getting sorted out for my marker building as a personal side gig, so I want to do them first, and go from there. Here is the updated design as it stands currently, there may be some final revisions before production and I'll definitely be testing out a first assembly to make sure everything works and slides and intended:

physical specs of the kit with gated feed and no pump handle: adds about 80 grams over the stock weight with the stock jam feed (which weighs 250 grams alone). the magslide is a bit past 300 grams.

with pump handle: the pump handle adds about 70 grams additionally.

when the time comes, finish and anodize can be changed up as desired. if you paid for non-gloss originally, I would of course appreciate if you pay the difference, or any other outstanding costs (I'll cover shipping).

possible variant of the forward slide milling:

Hey guys, been thinking about this for a few months now, wanted to hear your thoughts (if you've ordered a Magslide kit).

Since they haven't been made yet the design isn't set in stone, and there's something I'd like to change about it, regarding the feed system. Currently it's built around the jam feed, which is a great feed design but not perfect, since it relies on a good fit with 10 round tubes. I'm leaning more towards using a 10 round feed with a feedgate instead, basically foolproof design.

Another reason to use the feedgate style tube is that it's smaller diameter than the jamfeed (7/8 inch instead of 1 inch), which means the magslide itself can be lower profile to suit. about .1 inch lower overall, and slightly slimmer on the sides.

Flipside to this, I don't want to make pump handles for them. I'm not happy with the two-screw design for long term reliability, four screw is okay but then you've got four exposed screw holes in the slide when not using the pump handle bit... It looks a lot cleaner in slide-only form.

The guide rod design inside is updated with an improvement to take away the open hole in the front of the slide (uses a screw-in guide housing instead), the whole thing will slide very very smooth so the race-gun cocking at the back (can be swapped to either side) will be super slick to use instead of pump handle.

Total weight will be about the same as a stock Retro (1100 grams ish), with the balance about the same as it is now. That's about 150 grams less than the previous magslide design... I'd like to get the whole thing down to right around a kilo, will see how it goes as I finalize the part designs.

Mockup photo with the gated feed, excuse the plain colours and detail (not used to Inventor 2014s new rendering and materials)

Thoughts? In favour of gated feed and lighter, tighter slide? I would prefer to make them this way, there will only be 35 of them

Last edited by ApoC_101; 07-26-2014 at 02:40 AM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Is the last iteration of the magslide? So change from this to the one above?

Edit: seeing them side by side I like the single piece feed and the feed tube.

Make it happen.

Edit, Edit: removed the incorrect photo to reduce confusion

Last edited by Stilgar; 03-23-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Eww **** no, that's like original iteration. Same as the prototype I built... heavy as a mofo

Here's the previous version with pump handle chunk, two screw design (which I like visually but don't think it's ideal for reliability)

For reference, the original "duckbox" prototype:

It weighed 600 grams... the newest Magslide design is about 300 grams total (the stock Retro feed is 230 grams by comparison, so a weight gain of about 70 grams)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 03-23-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sixfootsix

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The "pumphandle" chunk will be on the new version aswell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteer paintball View Post
If you are taking trades I'll trade you a used PK5 and a Swedishly used Waylost (this one's pretty rare)

Feedback Youtube Channel
Waylost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

No, that's the flipside I mentioned. Would like to skip the pump handle due to multiple reasons, some of which I touched on in the first post. Additionally it will also make the cost more manageable for me to make them (about 25% less cost for me to make without the pump chunk). And better looking in slide only config, no open threads, better more consistent polished finish, and lighter all around since I don't need the slide to be as beefy in the front to accommodate the mounting holes.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

I like feed gates, but I like the pump handle lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I am torn.

I like the look you propose ApoC, however I know my play Style and would prefer to play with the pump handle lower...

That being said...

If it is Easier, Cheaper and gets my magslide produced SOONER then I am all for the proposed changes.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I'm with ya on the "usual playstyle" of course... but I've got loads of pistols with pump handles, and zero pistols with a perfect slide action and race-gun, back of the gun cocking. I think most of us are in the same boat in that regard... Time for a little something new

edit: I do know for a fact there is another way to attractively mount a pump to the newest slide, but I'd prefer to do it as a custom add-on later (better to simplify the magslide now, get em out in peoples hands and then go from there, I think)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 03-23-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Oh I am sure I can learn to play with it...

I don't understand the term race-gun though?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sixfootsix

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Ah okay, really liked the look it had with the lower pump.
But go with the best solution for all of us here Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteer paintball View Post
If you are taking trades I'll trade you a used PK5 and a Swedishly used Waylost (this one's pretty rare)

Feedback Youtube Channel
Waylost is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Avratech