mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
makin bacon

Haha. Ya I know what you mean.

Looks great from here. I'm sure it tasted just as good.

I know I'd hit it.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #52 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
I'm having a hard time finding anything other than small flats locally. I might have to think outside the box to get one if I want it soon.
If you have a local butcher shop, you could try ordering a whole brisket through them.
Drew_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #53 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Kosher salt, Garlic and course ground pepper. I think I should seasoned it more but it's a fine line at my house. The middle child smells pepper and she will whine that it's too spicy. It was good, just think it could have used a little more.
Used a combination of Apple and Hickory.

Little dry on one end, I should have flipped it sooner. All in all a success in my book but lots of room for improvement. Also I found out that I doubt I can fit a full "packer" brisket in my smoker as the flat took up most of the room in it.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #54 (permalink)
makin bacon

No sliced pics??!?! Let's see that money shot. Lol

I'm about to fire up the smoker and throw 4 racks on and some beef shorts.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #55 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
gonna do another shoulder tomorrow, at least thats the plan currently

gotta see if i can replicate the results from last time

i also learned, because i use an electric, i don't get smoke rings. so sliced shots from me will never look that impressive

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
i also learned, because i use an electric, i don't get smoke rings. so sliced shots from me will never look that impressive
Just learned this on Tuesday.
I don't get to show off. At least I can still kind of make a bark.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #57 (permalink)
Patient Zero

CCM Fan
eh, the smoke rings are nothing more than nitrogen dioxide interacting with the myoglobin in the meat, i dunno about you boys, but if it tastes good, thats better than looking good IMO.. when i do my next shoulder, ill do a sliced shot just because

Trackers feedback
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #58 (permalink)
Patient Zero

CCM Fan
so, id say i have got the pork shoulder mastered..

i got gifted an OLD treager from my father in law, i was "borrowing it" so i had to wait until i got the full go ahead of "yeah, you can keep it" before i started switching out parts (the drip pan is warped, and the heat diffuser has a hole burned/rusted through it)

i cooked on it a few times, and immediately noticed the age induced shortcomings of the temperature controller, mainly that it has 3 positions, Smoke, Medium and High, and was 100% analog, and then i got my decent thermometer setup, i had to keep one inside the unit, and the temperature was ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE, like would dip into the 160's occasionally, and so i would constantly have to futz with it, open door, spray meat, and then turn it up to medium for a few minutes.. to get the temp up, to which it would start to dip again.. which made the cooking time take FOREVER like 16+ hours for 2 shoulders

first thing i replaced was the temperature controller for a digital one, which included an internal temp sensor.. yup, you read that right, original trager controllers had no clue what temp the drum was at, its job was either "add pellets every minute, add pellets constantly but slowly, or ALL THE PELLETS"

new controller, and sensor installed (thankfully the holes were already there for one) and this weekend was its first run.. it runs hot as i found out, 225 on the controller keeps the drum at about 250.. 180 keeps it about 200-225 inside, smoke keeps it about 190-170, which isn't terribly useful if you're cooking something to 195, first 2 hours were at 225 till i checked it later and saw the meat had already broke 130 (thats how i learned it runs a bit hot) turned it down to 180 and let it run overnight (the whole point of a hopper fed smoker IMO) and when i woke up early the next morning, the small one was already up to 192, so no sleeping in for me.. spritzed it a few times to help build the bark and then put it in a foil tray, covered and tossed in the oven to preserve the heat (i wasn't expecting to be done in the AM, was aiming for noon, which is why i put it on at 6pm..) the second one was done a few hours later, it got to 194 and then dropped a degree, for it ran it to 225 until it gave up that last degree, pulled it off and added it to the oven with the other to rest and cool for a few hours

in summary, original traeger's need a new temp controller PERIOD, unless you like taking 4-8 extra hours to smoke something

old and beat to hell isn't a death sentence, just need to replace parts that aren't even super expensive

sleeping while cooking beats the hell out of waking up at 3 am and every hour afterwards

sorry for the novella, but one side effect of these shoulders, i broke a vegetarian.. granted, she had only been at it for 3 months.. but she couldn't resist my pork and caved, she has decided that she will be a 90% vegetarian.. with about one meal a week having some type of meat (which in my opinion is healthier for you anyways if we were designed to eat only vegetables, wed have different enzymes and gut fauna.. and then there's that whole "teeth" thing )

and obligatory pic, or it didnt happen

Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 10-24-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
FNG

For brisket, injection is a must. I’m still working on smalller slabs. Also a spray bottle, like others have said, filled with at least apple juice every hour. This write up is really helpful

https://www.charbroil.com/community/...harcoal-grill/

I have a Traeger Bronson and I love it. It’s the perfect size for a couple that cooks for more than us once in awhile. Tomorrow I will be smoking a Tri Tip for four hours on “smoke” 180*, then turn it up to 250*, wrap in foil with half a cup of water until it comes up to temp(about another hour). I’m really liking the Cherry and Pecan Pellets mixed
Attached Images

Last edited by Soolio; 10-25-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Soolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #60 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
HA! The dog is like. "Why are you taking a picture of me?"
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats