mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Smoked Brisket

I've gotten comfortable enough with pork shoulder that I want to try Brisket. I've picked up some Hickory chunks and have started looking at some rub ideas and figured I would ask what you guys use/advise?
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I find developing a good bark is very important, at least for my personal preferences on brisket. I like to use a juice mixture in a spray bottle over it every hour or so as it smokes (sugar is what makes a good bark). The other strong suggestion I would have is to dry rub it the day before and let it soak in a bit. Other than that it's all about proper smoking technique. I do a slow burn of mostly unlit charcoal that I continually top off with soaked wood chunks over the top (never chips, chips are terrible) during the smoking.
PBN-B-DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

essential brine ingredients:
blackstrap molasses
vinegar
salt/water

herbs/spices/etc after that are all bonuses.

I've been doing quite a bit of cold smoking/grilling lately. Keeping the fire very cool is important in cold smoking. Smothering the fire with unlit wood, using wet wood, using a mister/spray bottle to keep flare ups down, covering the meat with a lid to contain the smoke and blocking the draft to deprive the fire of oxygen have all worked to create a nice cold smoke. Soaking the wood chunks in water would be beneficial. After cold smoking I build the fire back up to cook the meat in end. The longer you can smoke it for the better (3-6 hours). From most to least impressive these are the woods I have used: cherry, beach plum, maple and oak. I've smoked brisket before. Its no biggie, just fairly dry due to the lean nature of the cut. It is excellent for making smoked beef jerky. Because it is so dry/lean it is advisable to soak brisket in a brine beforehand. Brisket in redwine/vinegar is also excellent but probably better for an oven roast than smoking/grilling.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
I've smoked brisket before. Its no biggie, just fairly dry due to the lean nature of the cut. It is excellent for making smoked beef jerky. Because it is so dry/lean it is advisable to soak brisket in a brine beforehand.
If you get untrimmed brisket, wrap it in a loose layer of foil that has a closed bottom and smoke it fat side up so that it self-bastes.

Most fruit wood is good. Mesquite and Pecan (Hickory) are good too. I stick with those.

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 05-31-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

I want the outside dry for bark formation and the inside moist. I use an offset fire box barrel smoker/grill. My research and attempts at cold smoking then grilling have led to dry results. A fairly consistent 200 to 225 F range smoke for around 12 hrs with a brown sugar based rub has yielded consistently good results.

Rub - Paprika, garlic, Cumin, celery salt, pepper, lil nutmeg..... Hit the spice cabinet, use the spices you like. Mix in bowl, then double the mix with brown sugar. Rub brisket the night before, drink beers, get up super early (you gotta pee anyways), start smoker, place point side nearest the heat, reapply remaining rub, go back to bed. Bank firebox every 2 hours or so, never open the meat chamber. Mow lawn, invite friends over to watch the NBA finals. They must bring beer (come on, you've been drinking, you can't drive). Always let it rest for 20 minutes min before slicing, rip at the burnt ends while you wait. Serve with a nice spicy apple cider vinegar mop.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Like I said, I've done enough pork shoulder to feel pretty comfortable controlling my temp, and having an idea of smoking time/pound of piece of meat. The ~30lbs I did for memorial day weekend was a HUGE hit with our friends.

I just haven't done Brisket yet so was looking mainly for hints on difference in smoking the two meats. Are the cook times about the same /pound?

Season it with the same flavors you would a roast or steak?
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

A bit lower and longer on the temp. Brisket is a super tough muscle with a lot of connective tissue that marbles the cut and takes time to fully break down.

As mentioned by a couple posters, a high sugar content to your rub will aid this chemical reaction. This combined with the self basting from the fat cap makes brisket magic. So not the rub you would put on a steak. Those would have a higher salt content.

Last edited by spece108; 06-01-2017 at 12:47 AM.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Have you guys smoked Brisket to make burnt ends? That is the favorite way to smoke brisket in Kansas City, and it usually sells out before dinner is over in BBQ restaurants here.
I couldn't find decent instructions, but here is a description.
What Are Burnt Ends? And Why Are They So Delicious? | Serious Eats
Old 05-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Use a less potent wood since it smokes for such a long period of time. But it's honesty as easy as a pork shoulder. Just controlling temp and keeping it smiley.

Also, my mop sauce for keeping it most is a mixture of apple cider vinegar, cayenne and lemon juice,

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post3378198

Have 100% on eBay as well
Kmoore810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

i say start with small piece and work your way up to lager piece since brisket not cheap piece of meat to buy.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats