mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

need help cooking lamb neck bones. have rice cooker or slow cooker

i got some lamb neck bones and want to cook them easy. i have rice cooker. other then that how do you do it on stove top with out putting in oven or slow cooker. i want to learn how to do on stove top with pan or sauce pan to cook. so i can have over cup of rice. do not want to wait like 4 hours like all other things i saw when i google it. also could use potato and onions since cheap to get. but mostly i been watch what i been eating since counting calories
Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Low and slow makes for good meat if you ever want to try it

Been heavy on pork lately

My blind/unskilled attempt would be butter a pan, 4/5 on the burner and brown it. I flip the meat often, stab a hole in to see how it's going.

Last edited by Ashton S; 07-16-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Ashton S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

/

Neck is tough and needs long slow cooking to 190 degrees to make it tender. Brown it with some aromatics add some wine and/or broth. Cover tightly and cook it on a low flame for at least 90 minutes.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

A tricky bit with neck bones includes stopping cooking before the bones start to break down. They are cut across the vascular structure so are porous. If you braise them in a nice cooking liquid, bbqish or Asian style marinades are popular, then be sure to pull them before the bone starts to slew off into the meat/sauce mixture. That seems to be the only real down fall of slow cooking them. If you just chuck em in for 6+ hours while at work that might be to much. I've done that and come back to a boney mess.

Last edited by spece108; 07-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

only have few issue. one is slow cooker i do own is way to large for package i got. and if would use it. how long would take to cook 1lb 12 oz package of lamb neck. other this could i cut meat off neck and cook like you would do piece thin slice pork chop or any other thin slice piece of pork. if could cut meat off and cook like thin piece of pork or beef would like go that route. if where to use lager slow cooker i have and want to add onions peppers and potato's liquid would be good to use. i have 6 32oz boxes for organic chicken broth i could get beef broth. reason i got the lamb since it was greenwise organic
Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I don't know if it was neck (think it was) but the last time someone made lamb for me it was Jamaican woman who made a Lamb curry in a pressure cooker.

I like to use my pressure cooker for pork.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can smoke the necks first to harden up the bone and add some flavor then slow simmer. This something I do with ox tails before making ox tail soup. No need to use a "slow cooker" those neck bones are small enough that you can simmer them on top of the stove in an appropriate sized pan or in a dutch oven over a fire. I doubt you'd need much more then an hour to get the meat to fall off and the marrow to dissolve.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List

Last edited by Grendel; 07-18-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

do not have fire for dutch oven but have one. so all i have is dutch oven not fire for it. since stove electric, rice cooker with slow cooker option since is wolf gang puck slow cooker and have lager slow cooker.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've used my dutch oven in my regular oven in the past but yes fire and dutch oven go well together.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats