mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Brass Eagle (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/brass-eagle/)
-   -   Had a weird idea. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/brass-eagle/202333-had-weird-idea.html)

Murph 05-12-2012 12:54 AM

Had a weird idea.

I had an idea pop into my head the other day for a replacement rainmaker ram/hammer combo. You take a sleeve with two inlets for the solenoid, the first on the front of the ram, and the second on the bottom center of the ram unit. The inside of the ram is three pieces, one stationary powertube sort of thing in the middle, one bolt carrier in the front and a ram in the back.

When at rest the gas is coming in the front inlet holding the bolt carrier back and hence, the bolt open.

When fired the air switches to the bottom center inlet and pushes the bolt carrier fully forward along the powertube. As the bolt carrier is fully forward a trapped o-ring passes over an air inlet into the powertube which pushes the ram rearward into the valve firing the marker. Then the dwell time on the board sets the air back into the front of the sleeve, resetting the bolt carrier, and the rammer is returned via tension from the valve spring.

I'm just throwing this idea out there for the sake of discussion.

Spider! 05-13-2012 07:42 PM

Do still have the hammer?

I'm thinking it's a spool sort of replacement for the ram and carrier?

Murph 05-14-2012 12:22 PM

Yeah pretty much. No hammer left in the gun. It would work as a closed bolt one-solenoid marker that rests at open bolt, still allowing compatibility with breakbeam eyes with a standard open-bolt marker's board. The best part of this as it was kicking around in my head is that the internals would no longer beat themselves apart.

psycho91 05-16-2012 09:16 AM

Sounds interesting, I have a spare rainmaker lying around to

Murph 05-16-2012 09:28 AM

A better way to understand what I'm talking about is to think of an automag bolt being the bolt carrier. Except when the bolt is fully forward, rather than the air going through the front of the bolt it actually rushes backwards through the powertube to open the valve and then fire the marker.

psycho91 05-16-2012 10:22 AM

Sounds kind of complicated

Rainman229 06-14-2012 09:06 PM

Not all that complicated. Basically it sounds like sticking an ion in the lower tube. It's actually creative thinking. Would bring new life to old warhorse. Less moving parts. And no hammer or timing issues for wear of the hammer.

PainterA 06-18-2012 01:18 PM

Good luck, that is a different take on it. Gettn a nib rm today or tommorrow. Cant wait to start modding ;) I would like to eblade it but from what I have seen I will have an uphill battle with the board unless I change the lower tube up a bit LOL Dont know if I can MQ2 it or anything but lookn into your idea now. My old one had a early Matrix frame on it and it worked fairly well, lots of trigger bounce tho :)

Rainman229 06-19-2012 05:46 PM

Mq'ed an rm in the past. Not a really worth while project. In the end it was still just as temperamental as it was to start.

blackrain 06-19-2012 06:41 PM

I still have to try the cocker valve in the rainmaker. I think I was one of the only two people that bought the adapter.

Later,
Blackrain:)