-   Brass Eagle (
-   -   Detent Ball Mod (

adam38654 05-28-2013 05:38 AM

Detent Ball Mod
As you all know the steel bearing ball detent eats up the bolt face and should be replaced with a plastic bead.

Detent Ball Replacement

I used to use a clear acrylic ball back in the day but think a Nylon one would be even tougher. I just ordered a pack of 25 3/8" (.375" or 9.5mm) Nylon precision bearings because it was cheaper than another place that sells 10 at a time after shipping. I only need 3 of them and might keep a few as spares. I hope they don't dent but since the acrylic ones didn't crack or chip than they should work great.

" Nylon Balls are used in a variety of bearing, and seal applications. These balls are precision ground for tight tolerance & are made of solid, high-quality thermoplastic. Nylon 6/6 offers high strength (especially at elevated temperatures), toughness at low temperatures, stiffness, wear and abrasion resistance, low coefficient of friction and good chemical resistance. All Nylons absorb moisture; this increases flexibility and impact resistance. Use for high impact application requiring strength and rigidity. Resists hydrocarbons, aromatics, aliphatic solvents, automotive oils and fuels, and refrigerants.

Nylon is one of the most widely used plastics in the world and the most popular non-metal bearing ball material. Nylon balls offer extremely good wear resistance, high tensile strength and modulus of elasticity. They also have high impact resistance, a high heat distortion temperature, and resist wear, abrasion, and vibration. In addition, Nylon can withstand sustained contact with a wide variety of chemicals, alkalis, dilute acids or oxidizing agents. "

Jaccen 05-28-2013 01:30 PM

I've actually had decent luck with wooden craft beads.