mcarterbrown.com

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Nice info. Some clarification on seals....

Quote:
First, all the seals (except the brass nut seal in the valve) can be found at a hardware store. The o-ring sizes are as follows:

Valve and pierce pin assembly body: #114 or #113
Front valve seal: #009
Bolt: #111

Note: You are looking for AS568 o-rings.
Those sizes are about right but you do have to note that the upper tube assembly is larger than the lower assembly. So... you could go with a 114 as the uppers and 113s as the lower ones. Those sizes will be pretty difficult and some folks have found that going with a size smaller on each (113 and 112) works fine and is easier to install without tearing.

I don't necessarily agree about availability at the hardware store. You also have to look at material type and durometer. The internal valve "magic o-ring" was urethane from the factory. Probably 70d. I've seen a mix on the valve body and 12g body o-rings but I believe those were urethane as well from the factory. Buna N or Viton might be a decent alternative. EPDM o-rings are pretty common as well but should probably be avoided.

The seal that goes in the brass valve seat is proprietary. No good alternative other than factory stock or custom made. I don't see the 12g face seal listed. Those are not a flat seal or o-ring so the only source for replacements is factory stock seals.

Also probably worth mentioning Maj Tom's youtube videos on the gun. If you expand the info, the o-ring size info and some other details are there as well.
Brass Eagle Nightmare Disassembly Part 1 - YouTube
Brass Eagle Nightmare Disassembly Part 2 - YouTube

Final note... not all nightmares are the same internally. The more common internals (later?) are shown in the pics. The earlier ones only had one outer o-ring on one of the assemblies....the upper / 12g assembly I think but I'd have to look at home....
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Just crusin...

Good points. I'll be updating the thread shortly. I myself have found that the listed o-ring sizes are available at a hardware store. There commonly composed of Buna-N, so they should be fine. Thanks for the info.
Dye says that they're going to make a 'Faultline Broomstick' soon, so wait for that, then you'll never be outshoot, unless the other guy has a full-auto ramping Boo-Ya frame on there Spider and a Dye Broomstick, then your screwed, you mite as well play Airsoft.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Just crusin...

The thread has been updated. Anything more to add?
Dye says that they're going to make a 'Faultline Broomstick' soon, so wait for that, then you'll never be outshoot, unless the other guy has a full-auto ramping Boo-Ya frame on there Spider and a Dye Broomstick, then your screwed, you mite as well play Airsoft.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

This thread has been incredibly helpful, I got my Nightmare up and working and also now have approximately 600 extra O-rings for it. Thanks McMaster Carr.

One quick question though...I put a #114 on the pierce pin assembly as that was where the problem was, and I quickly realized that #114 is WAAAAAAY too big to get it back in there, and then put a #113 on it and that was still pretty big and I ended up tearing it a little in order to get it in (however it still works with no leaks...plus I've got plenty of extras). So my question I guess is on whether the explanation of O-ring sizes is correct. It states:

"Valve and pierce pin assembly body: #114 or #113 for the upper and lower tubes, respectively (Some have found #112 and #113 to work, while reducing the risk of tearing)"

So according to this, #114 is for the upper tube (pierce pin assembly) and #113 is for the lower tube (valve)? Or is it that the "valve and pierce pin assembly body, respectively, take #114 and #113" meaning that the valve is #114 and the pierce pin is #113?

I guess its more of semantics and grammar than a technical question...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Maj Tom documented it in an easier way to read:
114 - Pierce Pin Assembly exterior/ 12g plug
113 - Exterior of the Valve Assembly

Myself and others have successfully used one size down for those o-rings to make the assemblies easier to install and reduce tearing... eg..
113 - Pierce Pin Assembly exterior/ 12g plug
112 - Exterior of the Valve Assembly
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Just crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuby View Post
This thread has been incredibly helpful, I got my Nightmare up and working and also now have approximately 600 extra O-rings for it. Thanks McMaster Carr.

One quick question though...I put a #114 on the pierce pin assembly as that was where the problem was, and I quickly realized that #114 is WAAAAAAY too big to get it back in there, and then put a #113 on it and that was still pretty big and I ended up tearing it a little in order to get it in (however it still works with no leaks...plus I've got plenty of extras). So my question I guess is on whether the explanation of O-ring sizes is correct. It states:

"Valve and pierce pin assembly body: #114 or #113 for the upper and lower tubes, respectively (Some have found #112 and #113 to work, while reducing the risk of tearing)"

So according to this, #114 is for the upper tube (pierce pin assembly) and #113 is for the lower tube (valve)? Or is it that the "valve and pierce pin assembly body, respectively, take #114 and #113" meaning that the valve is #114 and the pierce pin is #113?

I guess its more of semantics and grammar than a technical question...
I'll fix that. Sorry for the confusion. Some people recommend #114's for the upper tube and #113's for the lower. Or, if those are too large, #113's for the upper and #112's for the lower.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

It looks like I posted up the wrong sizes from my McMaster order.

I'll get that fixed on the video.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Born again

Send a message via AIM to mustangii

Crosman End seal 357/CO2 guns. Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan.
crosman co2 cartridge seal, same as nightmare.

ASE certifed master tech
Master Certified Chrysler Tech
mustangii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Just crusin...

As in #114 and #113 are too large? I ended up jumbling around the numbers... or did you use #113's and #112's?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Just crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangii View Post
Crosman End seal 357/CO2 guns. Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan.
crosman co2 cartridge seal, same as nightmare.
Awesome! I'll update the thread.

Airguns do have a lot in common with paintball markers. Heck, that's where paintball markers came from!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle