mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
LeastGenericNicknameEver

ViewLoaders Orion Leak

I am trying to fix a couple guns for a friend as a part of a trade. I have been working on egos, tippmanns, mags, minis, old smart parts gear for years now, but I have no experience with brass eagle, viewloader, or spider. My friend claims the gun didn't start leaking until he changed the o-rings on the bolt. What size / material o-rings should I be using for the bolt? The so called "manual" calls out 2 different o-rings, but no size information.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Where is the leak located?
Being a Spyder clone, the bolt should only leak ( blowback) when fired.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Bolt o-rings are quite non-critical on an Orion. Usually tank o-rings do the job there. Heck, the later incarnations of the model, such as the VL High Voltage, have bolts that don't use any o-rings at all.

Hammer o-rings are a touch more picky, but if the gun is cycling fine don't worry about them.

Only place where the gun can leak is from the valve o-rings, cup seal, hose, and front valve chamber plug. Since the leak isn't external it's not the valve chamber plug or hose.

Check the o-rings on the outside of the valve body, inspect the cup seal for damage, and made sure the valve is in correctly. Basically treat it like an older Ego.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
LeastGenericNicknameEver

Alright, I fixed one problem with a new hammer oring. Now it is leaking from the hole in the body beside the volumizer. Could this be due to a bad cup seal? The one on the gun doesn't look too torn up, but its definitely old and hard. I'm operating off the assumption that this is supposed to be semi flexible like every other seal in the gun. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, I can't remember which way the valve body assembly goes in. I have tried both directions and did my best to match up wear marks on the hammer and valve stem. Right now I have it with the smaller diameter section facing forward, and the flat side facing the hammer.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Cup seals cause leaks down the barrel and they are made of hard plastic, not a "rubbery" material.

Sounds like the orings on the valve body are messed up causing the leak at vent hole.
Can't remember which direction the valve goes ( I had the same problem with a Spyder) and can't find the site that helped me .
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
LeastGenericNicknameEver

The gun is no longer leaking after I changed a volumizer oring. Now the gun is firing at with very low fps, and won't recock regardless of how high I turn the velocity screw. The manual says the hammer oring might bee to tight. I've pulled various orings from 3 different rebuild kits I have around the house, but nothing seems to work. Is there a way to trim the OD of the oring? Could the low FPS be due to weak springs or do you think its the ha-mmer oring? I've been told spiders shoot slow anyways, but this is ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Don't mess with the hammer o-ring.

Check the hammer bumper.

It's a large rubber ring that should go over the main spring (the big spring in the back), and when the gun recocks the hammer bumps into it so it doesn't smash into the velocity adjuster.

The issue is that it's very easy to accidentally put the hammer bumper in front of the hammer. The hammer goes forward, hits the hammer bumper, and then barely hits the valve, so low velocity and generally no recock.

Also there should be two parts between the main spring and the velocity adjuster. A spring guide (small metal shaft that fits inside of the back of the main spring), and a spring guide spacer (small metal spacer that fits over the spring guide, basically there to give the main spring a bit more tension). If they're missing the main spring tension will be very, very low, and accordingly the velocity and recock force will be very, very low. Unfortunately these parts are commonly misplaced by novice owners. I've made replacement parts out of bit and pieces I've found at a good hardware store.

I can probably take some pictures of the proper parts order (though not exactly from an orion, but a related VL or BE gun) if you need it.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle