mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I have a CA back plug in the garage but it's meant for the bodies without the 12g cutout. I think it's literally just a plug with an o-ring and nipple on the back. Could possibly make a CA back plug assembly that goes all the way to the 12g face if I get motivated.

I have an old brass bodied one in the garage waiting for me to care about it. The internals are slightly different on the old ones as well. I'll post some pics eventually... Unfortunately I have a pretty opposite opinion of these guns and am pretty unmotivated to work on them anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
I have a CA back plug in the garage but it's meant for the bodies without the 12g cutout. I think it's literally just a plug with an o-ring and nipple on the back. Could possibly make a CA back plug assembly that goes all the way to the 12g face if I get motivated.

I have an old brass bodied one in the garage waiting for me to care about it. The internals are slightly different on the old ones as well. I'll post some pics eventually... Unfortunately I have a pretty opposite opinion of these guns and am pretty unmotivated to work on them anymore...
Would you have any interest in selling the CA plug? I have two non-comp markers that could use it, theoretically.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Nightmares #2 and #3, these are the ones I'm currently working on:

One was from eBay, the other I got here. Parts have been swapped around between the two so probably neither is exactly how I got it originally. My current goal is to get both of them working properly, and make one of them really nice. Functionally all I need is a hammer and 12 gram seal, both of which I have ordered from Bacci. I also ordered another Black pump arm to replace the purplish one. I played with the purplish marker just a couple weeks or go, worked great until it got shot right by the hammer and gummed up the lower tube with paint.

I haven't seen others with that anodizing, the pump, 12 gram plug, and the rear lower tube plug all have that purplish hue. Both bodies are aluminum, but have different slots for the sear and the retaining screw for the rear plug. One of them also has a Comp rear site, though I don't know if that was swapped or perhaps they just sent them out of the door with whatever was in stock.

The body with the long slot also had a different sear and hammer, the sear was much longer than the standard Crosman one.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Soooo, about what I'm thinking for these, right now.

I think these are great markers, trapped in really poorly designed and built ones, if that makes any sense.

I want to improve them, but with some limitations:
  • I am not willing to cut on non-replaceable parts, ie the body and pump handles.
  • I am not dead-set on keeping all stock internals, there are some definite shortcomings that I think could be improved, more later
  • As much as possible, I don't want changes to be externally visible

Might not make much sense, but my real goal is that someone who has used Nightmares, could pick one of mine up and think, "hey this isn't so bad, for a Nightmare." A modest goal I think.

Some key items to improve from my experience:
  • Pump stroke - of my three Nightmares, none had the same pump stroke, and none of them have a really good pump stroke.
  • Trigger pull - One of those somewhat subtle improvements that can make a considerable difference in overall experience
  • BOUNCE - These are loud, which I think is great, they also bounce like crazy, which I don't.
  • Efficiency - I've found these to be solidly 'mehhhhh when it comes to efficiency, if I can improve it I will give it a try
  • Overall usability - Should be able to hand someone a Nightmare, and they can just play, no issues. This can include items like poor feeding, it is actually possible for paint to bunch up against the 12gram piercer assembly and not feed. Loading is very inconvenient, must load from the front with your hand in front of the barrel, and careful not to drop the front plug.

Last edited by RuleOfSines; 11-26-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

While it would take a hole in the body, I think a huge design improvement would be to completely lose the upper 12g assembly then make a "cartridge" valve and tap a line or CA adapter into it directly. This would make ALL of those outer o-rings unnecessary and solve 95% of the leak problems. Might be a thought for that messed up body. Add a crosman stock with a tank bracket and it would be pretty cool.

I'll think about that CA adapter. I'd probably rather keep it and look at making a more modern one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

We have many of the same thoughts and goals with these markers. Some I have already addressed, others I'm still working on. Oh one question. How are your nightmares on roll Outs? Surprising I only get a random few.
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
While it would take a hole in the body, I think a huge design improvement would be to completely lose the upper 12g assembly then make a "cartridge" valve and tap a line or CA adapter into it directly. This would make ALL of those outer o-rings unnecessary and solve 95% of the leak problems. Might be a thought for that messed up body. Add a crosman stock with a tank bracket and it would be pretty cool.

I'll think about that CA adapter. I'd probably rather keep it and look at making a more modern one though.
A direct tap into the valve assembly would be nice, and I would actually consider that for the damaged body, as a way to get it working again. Losing the o-rings would be huge. There is actually a decent amount of width available where the top and bottom tubes meet. It might be possible to slot the tubes, so a whole assembly could be slid straight in from the back of the marker, directly connected valve train and 12 gram piercer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
We have many of the same thoughts and goals with these markers. Some I have already addressed, others I'm still working on. Oh one question. How are your nightmares on roll Outs? Surprising I only get a random few.
I also had very little issue with roll outs, I found the paint would generally roll an inch or two into the barrel and stop. I use cheap paint, which helps. Not all that round or consistent.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

So I was just looking at the LB, there is a bit over 1/2" of width where the top tubes meet. Seems a 1/4 slot could be cut all the way down to where the standard port is between the tubes. Modify the the piercer and the valve so they thread together, or something of that sort, and the o-rings would be for nothing more than keeping stuff from rattling.

I don't know enough though, to say anything about how this would impact the structural integrity of the marker. This modification however, would be almost invisible from the outside.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

So, for an easy upgrade, the trigger:

This is a Crosman two-stage trigger system, results in an awesome trigger pull. You can adjust the break point, the force required, and the pull distance. There is no 'grinding' feeling of the sear disengaging the hammer, it is a smooth first stage, then the snap as it breaks.

You may notice however as you look at it, there is one issue. The sear cannot moved down as the hammer is pumped back, unless the trigger is held down. The solution I will be putting in place is flipping the hammer upside down, and drilling+tapping the other side for the thumb screw. That will put the hammer notch on the top, keeping the bottom flat so the sear doesn't return until the hammer is pulled back again.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

Two stage trigger - thats neat. I have a few thoughts on my own in which we will differ. I have two kids now, so time is limited. I'm thinking cocker slider.

I have mic'd my LB for the most part as hopefully Ty will be able to customize it to my liking when his day job slows down. If you need more specific specs, I can post them. I think I mic'd the barrel around .683/4 at the muzzle which explains a lot. BUT - look down the barrel of your Nightmares please... do the barrels look like waves in the ocean? Mine does.

I love the unitized piercer and valve assembly idea. That would pretty much correct the biggest issues. I think the integrity of the gun would be fine. My only concern - you mentioned rough pump strokes on your nightmares. Mine was super easy and smooth prior to my last bit of work on it. I managed to score the bore in the valve area. I got it smoothed out and it seals but the bolt/powertube of the valve binds when the front grip screw is snugged. If loose, its fine. My spare valve body now has a bent power tube. Not sure if its from my repair or if I polished the valve bodies down to much leaving extra wiggle room.

CA adapter - 3 different ways. One is the multi-piece sheridan style. The other is the way we discussed with the stock plug and a dummy 12g. The other would be aone piece custom plug/dummy 12g like many other guns.

AAAANNNNNDDDDDD....... HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle