mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
That will be the next step... I have to check a few things, like the RPM readouts say one thing, but the spindle is doing something else, and I must get the clockwise/counterclockwise straightened out... It is turning opposite direction right now

I have a tachometer coming in so I can figure out the issues with the speed.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
This project has been on the back burner for a bit, and I have not been doing a bunch in the shop... So another quick update.

Back from vacation. sort of... didn't want it to end.

The spindle works. The rotation and speed issues have been solved. If anyone needs advice on installing one of these and making the interface with LinuxCNC work, feel free to contact me.

LinuxCNC has been upgraded to 2.5.3

I just noticed an upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.6 Guess this will be the next project.

I have cleared a bit of space under the bench so I can install a Shop Vac and a coolant tank. The next few upgrades will be mainly for my own sanity. I admit the shop is too big a mess to enjoy building projects, and I must do something about it

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Small update... the first conversion turned out so well I am looking into doing a second on my other A2ZCNC mill. Instead of the 1.5kw spindle which uses ER16 collets, I am considering a 3kw unit that uses ER20 collets to allow for the use of 1/2" end mills. The next motor mount will be almost 7" long to account for the offset between the column and the center of the table's travel. Therefore the new mount is being made in the former of either and I beam or a box section. One end will be designed to fit onto the A2ZCNC Z axis carriage, and the other will be very similar to the 80 mm mount for the 1.5kw spindle. Obviously I plan to scale the spindle end to match the new and potentially larger in diameter 3kw spindle.

The A2ZCNC Monster Mill originally had been equipped with home switches and I am planning to reintegrate these once I have time to do all the wiring harness cut and splicing.

This time I will try to have the camera handy and take more photos/video.

Is anyone interested in the bits about getting LinuxCNC to talk to the Huangyang (or whatever the brand is...) VFD? If so I can post the information and sources I collected.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 11-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Please do post that info Ty, whenever I get around to modeling the mill I'd like to build and actually start building, I know it will be valuable.

Do you think the weight of the 3kw spindle wont be too much where it stresses the stepper/possibly bends the column? (I don't know how still the extended Z is)
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
The extended z column from A2ZCNC is very heavy and mostly inflexible. I don't believe the spindle weight will make much difference. I haven't looked into the weight difference but it can't be too much.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Per my earlier promise...

What you need, and where I acquired it: (These are not the only sources, just the ones I used)

- 1.5 kw/2 kw/3 kw cheap Chinese spindle and VFD - Ebay

- RS-232 to RS-485 adapter - Ebay

- 3 wire cable to go from the VFD to the Spindle carrying 220V @ whatever amps the spindle uses- Salvaged extension cord

- Signal wire to go from RS-232/RS-485 adapter to VFD - Salvaged telephone cable

- 3 wire cable to go from breaker box/outlet to VFD carrying 220v @ whatever amps the VFD needs - Salvaged extension cord

- 20 amp 220v breaker to fit your existing house breaker box, or whatever version of creative you wish to use to get power to the VFD

If you are using LinuxCNC 2.5.x, as I am, you will want to visit this thread on cnczone.com *READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!!!!* There is a lot of very good information and many questions answered. (There are a few links for the Mach3 Support of this VFD also, but I have not followed them, as I don't use Mach3) Post #50 contains the link to the files you need to download. If you have trouble, please contact me, and I will get you a copy.

Optional parts to add light to the work surface:
- 80mm INNER diameter 12V-24V LED Angel Eyes Halo Ring white - Ebay
- 12 volt DC wall wart transformer to power the light ring - salvaged from my parts stash

Instructions:

Read the thread on CNCZone.com

Download the necessary files. You will have to register with their forum.

Install the HY_VFD by copying the binary executable hy-vfd to /usr/bin You may need root privileges to do so. I will have to check on my LinuxCNC machine when I get home.

Install the HAL components from the emc_config_files.zip (I can't remember where they are placed within the file system, so I will have to edit this post at a later date.)

Make sure LinuxCNC knows you are using a custom HAL. (Once more I will have to figure out what I did to make this happen.)

Wire the RS-232 to RS-485 adapter to the VFD. One small note... If the signal + and signal - wires are reversed, nothing bad happens, but the VFD can not communicate with the computer. If you are having a communication issue, look into that first. It cost me a ton of time trying to figure it out.

Wire the VFD to spindle. If the spindle, during testing, runs the wrong way, simply go to the VFD, and swap any two of these wires to change rotation direction.

Wire the VFD to house power.

... To Be Continued...

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 11-09-2014, 02:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I have had a bit of time at work to get my CAD computer up an running again. So I have been working on the new spindle mount for the A2Z CNC Monster mill I have.

The dark grey part is the existing A2Z CNC Z saddle. All the other stuff in blue will be manufactured in house.

A2ZCNC Spindle Mount1.jpg

A2ZCNC Spindle Mount2.jpg

A2ZCNC Spindle Mount3.jpg

I am considering the BMC logo, or maybe some fancy milling, just for fun.

Anyone have any opinions?

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

You mean the monkey holding a tube, pointing? Yeah, that one is cool.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I will have to see if my photoshop person can get it all set up for me and then run a test.

Ty

It seems the guy who did my simplified logo was nice enough to both color and black and white it for me...

So, for consideration is...
Ty BMC3.jpg

Another small update... The 3 kw spindle was not an economical choice, so I decided to use a 2.2 KW (3 hp) spindle, with and ER20 collet. I have one set of Imperial size collets and picked up a set of Metric ones, in addition to a spare collet nut, as the Chinese spindles use a funky thread, which is *NOT* the same as my other ER16/ER20 holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
now, spend $30 on a shop vac and clean up all the shavings.
Just got a new Shop Vac. Before the new machine goes online, I will be doing another clean up ;P A very soon to be project will be an enclosure to contain the mess, and make cleaning up easier... I hope. If I do a good job on design, there may be a rudimentary chip removal system built right into the enclosure.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Last edited by tymcneer; 11-09-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Stupidity and CRS from being old...
Old 11-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Aggalicious

If you need to use the tormach at all, I am home from mid Dec until End of Janurary, or somewhere thereabouts.
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB » Brass Monkey Customs